Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow T5 security queues 26/09

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Heathrow T5 security queues 26/09

Just been through T5 and the queues are beyond the check in desks. Something to keep in mind if flying today and possibly tomorrow.

Anyone know why?
Cw novice likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheMan123
Just been through T5 and the queues are beyond the check in desks. Something to keep in mind if flying today and possibly tomorrow.

Anyone know why?
Lots of people, would be my wild guess.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
At 5.15am this morning First Wing security queue was back to the check in desks.

Fast track South and general security both virtually empty.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Lots of people, would be my wild guess.

Actually, the correct answer is probably the opposite - not enough people (security staff)
CatchThePigeon likes this.

Last edited by mrandery; Sep 26, 2022 at 7:04 am
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:12 am

Problems on the trains too - multiple HEX and Lizzies cancelled out of Paddington. I'm on a Reading train and Ubering in from Hayes & Harlington
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by Simonp27
At 5.15am this morning First Wing security queue was back to the check in desks.

Fast track South and general security both virtually empty.
Same at 0630. Queue was the entire length of the check-in area and back to J1 desk. I overheard someone say "they have finally opened the second scanner", which may have caused the backlog. The queue was moving slowly, a combination of security staff being meticulous about what went together (or separately) in trays, including an inspection of every plastic liquids bag, and periods of inactivity when bags seemed to just stop going through the scanners, whether shift changes or donut breaks, I wasn't sure.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
periods of inactivity when bags seemed to just stop going through the scanners, whether shift changes or donut breaks
This occurs most frequently when the secondary bag search belt is full to capacity (about eight trays will do it). If this happens, they cannot then scan any more bags on that belt.

I recall a trip through T5 when another passenger had the temerity to enquire whether the secondary search of bags could be carried out a little less glacially, which yielded a terse "it's for everyone's safety, madam" before the clerk resumed her work at half the speed.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stifle
This occurs most frequently when the secondary bag search belt is full to capacity (about eight trays will do it). If this happens, they cannot then scan any more bags on that belt.
To be fair I haven't seen that happen at TFW security which is what MrSimonR is talking about.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:14 am

I am in the queue and just asked the question why - apparently it’s because “people want to fly again and there aren’t enough staff”
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:33 am

An elderly relative and her grandson were flying back to the US today, though I think from Terminal 2 (they flew in on United so I assume the same on the return). Apparently, despite prebooking wheelchair assistance and arriving very early, there were huge delays with this and they were pretty much the last to board the plane.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:31 am

I came through a little later and it wasn't too bad, they were still using the tensa barriers near check in. It seemed to be taking a very long time to scan the humans which is unusual IME, bags were OK

We had a B gate bus departure (why do they do that ?!) and they were short of buses and assistance staff so we were a little delayed getting away but overall not a great experience but not a terrible one either

A few stressed people around shouting at the staff which was a shame to see, they were doing their best to pull flights out of the queue etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.