Wiki Posts
Search

Dinner at Heathrow suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Dinner at Heathrow suggestions

I’m arriving late afternoon for a flight the next morning, staying at Sofitel T5. I could eat there, or in the landslide part of T5, but wondering what anyone might suggest might be better? Do any of the other terminals have better eateries land side?

I could get a cab to Windsor, but not sure I can be really bothered!

thank you.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
I’m arriving late afternoon for a flight the next morning, staying at Sofitel T5. I could eat there, or in the landslide part of T5, but wondering what anyone might suggest might be better? Do any of the other terminals have better eateries land side?

I could get a cab to Windsor, but not sure I can be really bothered!

thank you.
locally speaking…..

For curry -

Take the 423 or any bus that runs along the bath road and stops at Pinglestone Close. Kaniz is the restaurant you are looking for.

Cantonese -

Same as above but ‘London Hong Kong’. Mixed reports.

Pub -

More great value massive portions and a lively atmosphere try The Pheasant. New rd off Bath road for the rough directions. You can’t miss it. Basically behind the Radisson Blu Edwardian. Lots of crew and locals.

Better Pub - The George in Wraysbury, take a cab/grab/uber and call ahead. Less distance than Windsor, don’t believe a bus exists anymore but could be wrong.

For everything else try Windsor or Staines.

EDIT - oh almost forgot! For Thai give The Punch Bowl pub a go in Colnbrook. Yes it is a Thai, AND a pub.
zig666, stevebintley and Erwin10 like this.

Last edited by Sigwx; Sep 23, 2022 at 1:25 pm
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Sofitel restaurant was fine for me a couple of times. Nothing too fancy but decent enough. I can't see anything landside being better in the terminal. I just like the convenience, 3 hour drive down to LHR for me so just wanted food, booze and bed.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Yes it is a Thai, AND a pub.
The best combination!
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:43 pm

According to reviews The Pheasant does not permit any U18's at any time.

This may influence decisions whether or not to go there
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
The pub in T5 check-in area (used to be The George, before that The 5 Tuns, can't remember its new name) is in Priority Pass, LoungeKey, etc (although not the Amex version of PP). If you have a same day boarding pass (departure or arrival) you can get £15 credit on your bill. Just don't do it if you have a PP/LoungeKey that charges £15 or more per visit!
Sigwx how is the food at The Punch Bowl? Might visit when next at Hilton T5 particularly as Todiwala's isn't currently open all week.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I like the Punchbowl, some of the cheaper items are really excellent. Other options I could suggest include using the Elizabeth Line to get to the Pakistani run restaurants north of Hayes and Harlington station.
ratechaser and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Cheap and easy: pick something up at M&S in arrivals and eat (and/or drink) it in your room!
mwp1 and camdentown like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
There’s a great steak house on Air Street in W1 called Hawksmoor, which is highly recommendable. Never eat at an airport unless there are no other options.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I like the Punchbowl, some of the cheaper items are really excellent. Other options I could suggest include using the Elizabeth Line to get to the Pakistani run restaurants north of Hayes and Harlington station.
The Punchbowl was your suggestion to me (some years ago) - and an excellent one at that.

11 of us came away with heavier stomachs - and wallets - than if we'd eaten at Cyrus Todiwala's restaurant in the Hilton... glad to see it's still going strong!
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:29 pm

423 bus , 10 mins towards the Renaissance and the 3 magpies pub
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
For Better Dining

Heathrow is a massive airport and a bit of a desert food wise so for better dining is a taxi out to Windsor would be recommended. You have time to see the Castle and wander around and there are plenty of nice restaurants overlooking the River.

However if wanting to stay by Heathrow my recommendations are:

1. Steak & Lobster Restaurant. 140 Bath Road. in the Radisson hotel opposite the Renaissance just by the Tunnel entrance into the T2/T3 on the perimeter. Its a taxi ride from Sofitel there. DM me for a menu link. Seriously Good....

We had a birthday celebration there for me 2 yrs ago and were brilliant during Covid, they made tables for our party with the required distance etc. My sister & BIL loved it. We only had the Set menu but it was all good. Nice Cocktails pre dinner on offer. Steaks brilliant, great French style chips. & the Mini Taco starters recommended. Thoroughly enjoyed

2. La Belle Epoque. in the Sofitel T5. Seeing you are staying here. Not cheap by any sense of the imagination and again we went with the set 3 course menu. Quality is excellent however and I love their Oils with their Bread which is to die for. Booze at Sofitel aint cheap but they do a Club Room offering where you can load up from 6 to 8 in their Club Milesimie Lounge. that's an extra to the base room rate btw. get a continental Brekkie in their Club Room next morning gratis that way. Easy walk my friend into T5. My hotel of choice btw for spoiling my Lady if we have an early departure as we live in the West Midlands

3. Todiwalas which is at the Hilton T5. Do not be fooled by this description as Hotel is actually practically in Colnbrook and a taxi ride away. If you want a good Indian meal this is the place to go for gourmet style Indian food. Hotel is fine but connectivity to T5 is crap as its a taxi or long Hoppa Bus ride around.

4. Please remember you are staying in a location near Southall and Hounslow. It has a massive Indian community so the food there is legendary if you like this style. Nothing bets a Good Curry and a Cobra Beer or 2! Simply search Trip Advisor accordingly. Remember its more authentic here so stronger in favour usually than my local Indian.

5. Finally the Three Magpies for P|ub Style Grub. 80 Bath Road Hounslow so taxi ride close from Sofitel. Think Fish & Chips English Style ( fat proper chips ). tartare sauce etc. Burgers for us Brits aren't bad but then if you are from the US you have the best in the World in that department!

I hope this helps. T5 Immigration & Security has vastly improved so I think there won't be any issues in that department.

Welcome to my Country and I hope the Flyertslk Team benefit from some of my recommendations!

Rgds

Steve G
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Another vote for The Punch Bowl - been coming there since it was converted from a traditional pub
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by layz
Sigwx how is the food at The Punch Bowl? Might visit when next at Hilton T5 particularly as Todiwala's isn't currently open all week.
I’ve never had any complaints with the punch bowl and either go there or into Wraysbury (if I fancy the walk) when staying at the T5 Hilton.

I might add that my suggestions are based on my preferences when in ‘work mode’ as some months it feels like I am living around Heathrow and I don’t want to spend a fortune when limited seat availability forces an unwanted night. Good food, inexpensive and not a hotel. I am very much in the late Antony Bourdain camp in that respect.

I have dined at steak&lobster prior to my jollies one year and I enjoyed it.

As CWS stays, there is a bounty of good options for food of the subcontinent and Levant in the local area just outside of Heathrow. Several UK versions of Ravi’s in Dubai.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 12:50 am

Programs: Some
I think most of the good suggestions are covered, but will add that Urban Brasserie at Crowne Plaza Terminal 4 is also surprisingly good for an airport hotel restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.