UuA / Basic Economy Questions

Old Sep 23, 22, 12:27 am
Original Poster

UuA / Basic Economy Questions

I am travelling in Europe for work. The policy is economy but I would like to upgrade the outbound using Avios (the inbound has no availability.) I will have checked luggage for this trip. To avoid raising any eyebrows, I'd like to book a cash economy ticket and get a receipt and then UuA separately. I would prefer to have the lowest headline price on this receipt.

If I make a dummy booking via the "Book and upgrade" option this gives me Economy Plus for both flights for a total of 207, plus 10500 avios plus 17 extra taxes for the outbound upgrade.

If I make a dummy cash booking choosing Economy Basic for the outbound and Plus for the inbound this gives a total of 185. However - the fare class for the outbound is still N.

Is there any reason I can't book the Basic/Plus combination and then UuA the outbound? As it's still a N class fare I think this should be possible.

If I do this will the extra cash component remain 17 or will this suddenly increase?

I'm fairly certain a basic fare UuA'ed to CE would still have the CE baggage allowance - is this correct?

Thanks for any help!
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, this is going back a few years, but for some reason UuA when bought straight up are charged against Plus fares, but thereafter you can UuA against Basic too provided it's N or above. So buy the Basic fare online, get the e-ticket, then UuA. If necessary you can call within 24 hours and fix anything without additional charges or even get a full refund.

And it will get the CE baggage allowance.
KARFA, jackqu7 and sammyg901 like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Yes, this is going back a few years, but for some reason UuA when bought straight up are charged against Plus fares, but thereafter you can UuA against Basic too provided it's N or above. So buy the Basic fare online, get the e-ticket, then UuA. If necessary you can call within 24 hours and fix anything without additional charges or even get a full refund.

I would point out that to fix anything with the 24 hour correction policy you would pay fare and tax difference just change and service fee are waived.

Last edited by Anonba; Sep 23, 22 at 2:45 am
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

Thanks so much for your advice as always CWS! Can confirm I was able to book the basic and then immediately UuA it for the extra Avios + 17 and the CE baggage allowance is now there.

Search this Thread