Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sun Air gets 68 weekly slots (=34 pairs) at LCY

Old Sep 22, 22, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold

Looks like Sun Air got 68 weekly slots at London City from Aer Lingus. That sounds interesting. Where would they use for?

Old Sep 22, 22, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life
Maybe to CPH? That would be wonderful. Wonderful.

Most likely regular to BLL, maybe for a projected busy holiday season. Dunno.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:50 am

Intriguing. I know they fly to BLL from City - I think flights recently resumed. But that's quite a few slots...
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
Wow! That sounds very exciting. Cant wait to see the schedule and destinations.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
IIRC, Antwerp (ANR) has been mentioned before. Was it announced but never operated due to Covid?
Old Sep 22, 22, 12:49 pm

Would they be able to operate to UK airports not served by BACF. Where a small capacity would make LCY flights feasible, such as INV, LBA.

Also with the O+G gas market rebounding somewhere like BGO would be good.
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Unless they have found someone to do upgrades to their fleet during Covid, only one of the J328s is equipped to fly the steep approach at LCY (OY-NCO). Clearly there is a plan for these slots, so maybe it's going to be some complicated leasing situation with other aircraft types?
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Airprox View Post
Unless they have found someone to do upgrades to their fleet during Covid, only one of the J328s is equipped to fly the steep approach at LCY (OY-NCO). Clearly there is a plan for these slots, so maybe it's going to be some complicated leasing situation with other aircraft types?
How complex is it to equip the remainder? They only fly one or two BA flights I think but still have a few Dorniers in BA livery.
The seat/mile costs are high and so fares tend to be relatively steep, and can't be a UK domestic post Brexit.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:35 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by Airprox View Post
I believe more than one must be capable. At one point they were serving Billund twice daily and Bremen twice daily which would have required more than one D328 to operate. But it seems from flight radar and pictures that as you say only OY-NCO has operated recently.

There was also an article recently that they are considering introducing larger aircraft.

Last edited by citiflyerUK; Sep 23, 22 at 12:03 am
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by skipness1E View Post
How complex is it to equip the remainder? They only fly one or two BA flights I think but still have a few Dorniers in BA livery.
The seat/mile costs are high and so fares tend to be relatively steep, and can't be a UK domestic post Brexit.
Judging by the fares to Billund, I am not sure how would they be profitable on certain routes like Antwerp that was mentioned before. But yeah Domestic is not possible after Brexit. So may be CPH and another destination. 68 weekly slots (34 pairs) means roughly 5 return flights a day.
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:52 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK View Post
I believe more than one must be capable. At one point they were serving Billund twice daily and Bremen twice daily which would have required more than one D328 to operate. But it seems from flight radar and pictures that as you say only OY-NCO has operated recently.

There was also an article recently that they are considering introducing larger aircraft.
Nope, since it changed from the prop D328 LCY has always been operated by OY-NCO, it just went back and forth BLL-LCY all day every day. Bremen was served by one of the prop D328s which were all steep approach capable without modification, but they have all been retired now leaving just the jets in the fleet.

Search this Thread