Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

QR codeshare flight with MH - Rejected TP/Avios claim

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:49 am
Original Poster

I would appreciate some help with a recent missing Avios/TP claim which I believe was incorrectly rejected. No reason has been provided yet but I am pre-empting possible explanations for the rejection.

Background
I bought a QR-issued 157-ticket (BER-DOH-KUL/BKK-DOH-MUC) for travelling in Business Class (in "I" fare class). Three of the segments (BER-DOH, BKK-DOH, DOH-MUC) were operated by QR and the appropriate Avios and TP have been posted without issue.

The problematic segment is the DOH-KUL sector with QR4991, which is a codeshare flight operated by Malaysia Airlines. This is also in Business Class ("I" fare class). For the avoidance of doubt, my ticket has the QR4991 flight number, rather than MH161.

Flight
When I checked in at Berlin, QR was not able to issue a boarding pass for the DOH-KUL segment even if they were able to check in my luggage all the way to KUL. Neither the transit desk in DOH nor the Al-Mourjan lounge was able to issue me with a boarding pass either for DOH-KUL as apparently "I was not checked-in". I was only finally issued a boarding pass to KUL at the boarding gate - literally, as everyone else is boarding. My luggage arrived in KUL without any issues.

Fare class
I am aware that I class in MH does not accrue any Avios or TP. However, as mentioned before, my booking has the QR4991 flight reference. So, I would have thought the Avios/TP should be based on the I class for QR, not MH.

Am I correct in that this should be an Avios and Tier Point earning fare in BAEC? What would be other possible reasons for the rejection or how should I approach this?

In any event, BAEC was not able to provide me with an explanation either and has re-submitted my claim.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus

I had the same problem on the same flights , booked on QR but flown on MH , got the points after phoning up executive club . MH gives tier points on all J fares but you can check the entitlement by looking the sectors up on “ flight calculators “ on the BA web site
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 47Aitken
I had the same problem on the same flights , booked on QR but flown on MH , got the points after phoning up executive club . MH gives tier points on all J fares but you can check the entitlement by looking the sectors up on “ flight calculators “ on the BA web site
Many thanks, I have also called up BAEC. Do you recall if you were also booked in "I" class for your QR-coded, MH-operated sector?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 10:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Could you clarify exactly how you made this claim please? And how you know it has been rejected?
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Citizen-Kane
Many thanks, I have also called up BAEC. Do you recall if you were also booked in "I" class for your QR-coded, MH-operated sector?
It doesn't matter who operated it (with the caveat they're OneWorld), you'll earn as per a Qatar Airways flight on the BA Avios/Tier Point calculator. MH shouldn't come into the equation.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...service-portal

Go to Avios and Executive Club accounts -> Collecting or spending my Avios -> Something Else

Upload your boarding pass, e-ticket etc and a brief detail that the Avios/TPs are missing.

This has been my most effective way of claiming missing TPs/Avios.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Could you clarify exactly how you made this claim please? And how you know it has been rejected?

I submitted a missing Avios/TP claim.

By chance, I submitted another unrelated claim today and noticed a "Rejected" to my earlier claim for this DOH-KUL sector. I did not receive any communication for this rejection, hence I called up BAEC to enquire why. They did not know the reason either and simply noted my details (ticket number, booking reference etc) for another submission (which I can't see in the system).
Attached Images  
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Between us we have submitted 5 claims for that route and are awaiting the result. Same I class.

We also have KUL-BKI claims but from what you say we are not entitled to the tier points in Business Class on that route. On the original booking I was only allocated Economy Y class for the return leg and that has been credited.

We both need the DOH to KUL points to keep status.

EditI've just checked our 'where is my ba partner claim' and they have all been rejected. Can someone clarify the next step? No email has been received.

Last edited by Stormbel; Sep 18, 2022 at 3:15 pm
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
hence I called up BAEC to enquire why. They did not know the reason either and simply noted my details (ticket number, booking reference etc) for another submission (which I can't see in the system).
This is the important bit. From the many other reports about this in the forum, the most likely successful submission is when you call BAEC, the least likely to work is the online form, which didn't even accept claims until recently. The other two methods that appear to work are Chat and emailing [email protected] or Any Other Reason off this screen.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ting-documents
Stormbel likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stormbel
Between us we have submitted 5 claims for that route and are awaiting the result. Same I class.

We also have KUL-BKI claims but from what you say we are not entitled to the tier points in Business Class on that route. On the original booking I was only allocated Economy Y class for the return leg and that has been credited.

We both need the DOH to KUL points to keep status.

EditI've just checked our 'where is my ba partner claim' and they have all been rejected. Can someone clarify the next step? No email has been received.
Fingers crossed that both our claims will eventually be successful. Indeed, missing out on 140 tier points for this sector would put a major spanner in my plan for quick status retention at the reduced rate by 31/12.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the various suggestions – I will also submit the supporting documents using the link provided (in addition to the phone call I made earlier). I will provide an update as soon as I hear from BAEC.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
I wonder if there is some sort of problem at the MH end. I’m waiting for two lots of points and miles to be credited from early August. One on an MH booking and the other on a Qantas booking. I also had my claims rejected as per the screenshot above but I’ve been told this is an automated rejection and that the manual claims that I subsequently filed through the contact centre will succeed. I’m yet to be convinced but I have my fingers crossed. Patience seems to be the name of the game - as is ever the case at present!
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:58 am

Thank you all for the various suggestions – I will also submit the supporting documents using the link provided (in addition to the phone call I made earlier). I will provide an update as soon as I hear from BAEC.
Tomorrow I will phone. I expect a long wait as I am Silver. While waiting I will also try the online chat.
May I ask how the conversation went and did they give you hope? What details did they ask you for and how to provide them?

Last edited by Stormbel; Sep 19, 2022 at 8:07 am
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stormbel
Tomorrow I will phone. I expect a long wait as I am Silver. While waiting I will also try the online chat.
May I ask how the conversation went and did they give you hope? What details did they ask you for and how to provide them?
They simply asked for the details (ticket number, booking reference etc.) to process the claim. I was told to wait for “up to 10 days” and if I did not get the points credited within this time, call again. Not the most assuring reply ...
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seawinder
I wonder if there is some sort of problem at the MH end. I’m waiting for two lots of points and miles to be credited from early August. One on an MH booking and the other on a Qantas booking. I also had my claims rejected as per the screenshot above but I’ve been told this is an automated rejection and that the manual claims that I subsequently filed through the contact centre will succeed. I’m yet to be convinced but I have my fingers crossed. Patience seems to be the name of the game - as is ever the case at present!
I also had to raise another claim with MH yesterday in relation to my recent KUL-BKK flight. This was for a Z class booking, which is a clear-cut Avios/TP accruing. So, perhaps it is MH related.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:15 pm

I'm double checking that I give ba the correct details tomorrow.

On the Qatar booking it uses businesses class I for all the flights. Two of the flights are operated by MH, KUL-BKI and return. Does the QR class translate to another MH code or is it an MH code that does not earn points or miles?
I hope that this makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.