FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Why does everyone put up with the rubbish service? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2094678-why-does-everyone-put-up-rubbish-service.html)

chazman189 Sep 17, 2022 7:05 pm

Why does everyone put up with the rubbish service?

I’ve unfortunately flown BA 11 times in the last 15 days, and on every single occasion, the flight has been late by at least an hour (once it was 4 hours, which was nice for the compensation). To boot, it’s also through the most pointless things like nobody around to attach an air bridge.

Additionally, the £5 drop-off charge at Heathrow is particularly egregious given the near £40 passenger charge that we pay on top.

Then there’s the cost of the flights - it’s now hard to cross the Atlantic for less than £3k in J - when you now get packed lounges, lost luggage (though anyone who checks bags now unless they have to is insane), incompetent security staff so everything takes ages, late flights, under staffing, and of course the “award-winning cheese board”.

And with all of this, there seems to be a collective shrugging of the shoulders from BA, and expecting us all to put up with it. I seem to get an apology email after every flight, but nothing is changing. At least Emirates said when enough was enough.

I really couldn’t give a stuff whether I get a personal greeting as a Gold member or if a Bronze member boards before me. I simply want flights to be on time and not have perpetual queues at every point of the journey.

Let us not forget that this airline, plus its main airport, took millions in government money during the pandemic, and then fired a ton of staff. It’s simply not good enough, and there don’t seem to be any consequences.

Where is the regulator in all of this?

Blenheim Sep 17, 2022 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by chazman189 (Post 34609147)
I’ve unfortunately flown BA 11 times in the last 15 days, and on every single occasion, the flight has been late by at least an hour (once it was 4 hours, which was nice for the compensation). To boot, it’s also through the most pointless things like nobody around to attach an air bridge.

Additionally, the £5 drop-off charge at Heathrow is particularly egregious given the near £40 passenger charge that we pay on top.

Then there’s the cost of the flights - it’s now hard to cross the Atlantic for less than £3k in J - when you now get packed lounges, lost luggage (though anyone who checks bags now unless they have to is insane), incompetent security staff so everything takes ages, late flights, under staffing, and of course the “award-winning cheese board”.

And with all of this, there seems to be a collective shrugging of the shoulders from BA, and expecting us all to put up with it. I seem to get an apology email after every flight, but nothing is changing. At least Emirates said when enough was enough.

I really couldn’t give a stuff whether I get a personal greeting as a Gold member or if a Bronze member boards before me. I simply want flights to be on time and not have perpetual queues at every point of the journey.

Let us not forget that this airline, plus it’s main airport, took millions in government money during the pandemic, and then fired a ton of staff. It’s simply not good enough, and there don’t seem to be any consequences.

If that is how you feel why did you choose to fly 11 times in 15 Days?

chazman189 Sep 17, 2022 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Blenheim (Post 34609175)
If that is how you feel why did you choose to fly 11 times in 15 Days?

Sadly don’t have the choice, and it was all booked a while ago so option is to cancel and go with another airline ($$$ and probably out of corporate policy), or lump it

Plus, given the monopoly that BA and Heathrow have, there isn’t much choice.

Blenheim Sep 17, 2022 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by chazman189 (Post 34609182)
Sadly don’t have the choice, and it was all booked a while ago so option is to cancel and go with another airline ($$$ and probably out of corporate policy), or lump it

Well, I do have the choice as I pay for all my travel. I have flown about 16 flights this year with BA and I feel differently to you. My experience has been much better than you describe and I choose to continue to pay to fly with BA. Not perfect but no other airline is either.😎

hungry Sep 17, 2022 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by chazman189 (Post 34609147)

Let us not forget that this airline, plus its main airport, took millions in government money during the pandemic, and then fired a ton of staff. It’s simply not good enough, and there don’t seem to be any consequences.

The £5 thing really pees me off. It is a small amount, in the grand scheme of things… but there just is not a 24/7 public transport option to LHR! I always use the Picc (or LT rail whatever its called as a backup) when it is running. But for an early flight out of LHR it isn’t an option.. leaving no choice but to take a minicab and incur the £5 rip off fee.

The £5 fee should only apply from say 8am-9pm drop-offs/collections, when for most people in the SE there are viable public transport options. The first Picc gets you to LHR at approx 0600, and that train starts at Hammer so no good for anyone coming from further in central London. So anyone with a flight before 0800 can’t use it really… so they have no option but to get a minicab and suffer the £5 charge. It really gets on my nerves …

before anyone suggests it, schlepping it on the N9 isn’t an option at all for most sane (even if budget conscious) folk unless you live within very close proximity to LHR on the bus route

HIDDY Sep 17, 2022 8:20 pm

Where do you fly from/to?

PES_B1 Sep 17, 2022 11:04 pm

Well, direct flight advantage, many won't take a transfer flight although it offers a cheaper price and better service quality. I know CZ used to charge Y the price other carrier can get you J for their LAX flight as they are the only airline flying non-stop.

JD1905 Sep 18, 2022 12:40 am

Sorry - But there is no monopoly here. There are plenty of other carriers you could choose to fly with, but you chose BA?

In answer to your question - Why does everyone put up with poor service? It’s because people like you continue to pay for it, and until you stop - nothing will change.

Duck1981 Sep 18, 2022 1:23 am

US via Europe: Connection at AMS/ CDG/ FRA - not sure if much better

Europe: KLM a total mess; LH cutting 20% of capacity; AF requires change at CDG - also not much better

Asia via Europe - see above

Asia via Middle East - better airline but connection & longer travel time.

craigthemif Sep 18, 2022 1:38 am

Forget your first post.

This is 100% the explanation for why people fly BA. And because people are flying BA regardless of experience, BA has no compelling reason to spend money to improve it.

(there are a small minority who have a fondness for that certain British-ness of onboard service that can be especially welcome on a return flight home...)

JD1905 Sep 18, 2022 1:51 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 34609599)
Forget your first post.

This is 100% the explanation for why people fly BA. And because people are flying BA regardless of experience, BA has no compelling reason to spend money to improve it.

(there are a small minority who have a fondness for that certain British-ness of onboard service that can be especially welcome on a return flight home...)

If the answer is “Because it’s cheaper” then there’s not much more to be said really!

I don’t rate BA Long Haul, so I don’t usually fly it. However, in January I got a decent deal using Avios. I’m paying about half of what I would have to fly with a better airline - I expect roughly half the value.

ermis177 Sep 18, 2022 2:16 am

Originally Posted by JD1905 (Post 34609527)
Sorry - But there is no monopoly here..

According to the trading standards authority if you have more than 25% of the market share then you are a monopoly. BA has more than 50% of the slots in Heathrow.

PUCCI GALORE Sep 18, 2022 2:17 am

I’m astounded. I too have flown Long Haul as recently as last week. Both were on absolutely full A380s to DFW where is the mighty AA with scads of flights to LHR. The flights were on time which I was not expecting. The catering is a disgrace In J. The service was wonderful. I had the seat beside or opposite. I slept like a log.

You have a choice. I prefer the Britishness of the absolutely professional and warm staff. Clearly others do as well. About Heathrow I have no fault with what you say. It is a national disgrace. BA is like Marmite. You love it or loathe it. After the nonsense Iberia put me through yesterday at Barajas and the rubbish that is CDG organisation I realise that one can genuinely think that the grass is greener elsewhere.

If you don’t think BA is up to par; go and fly some other carrier. I would.

xenole Sep 18, 2022 2:18 am

I don't find BA cheaper than a lot of other airlines to be honest.
Yes it can be, but on some like for like routes, prices can be a good 5-10x more than the likes of FR, EZY etc.
Schedule wise, not great at present with cancellations, re-timings, and no domestics 80% of the time.

As probably mentioned, it's convenience, the Avios program and tier point benefits that keep me flying them, or OW airlines to be honest. A stepping stone to other airlines.

I expect zero from the crews, and they rarely fail to live up to expectations. On board service I mostly gave up on ages ago, which is why lounges work for me.

I do like fancy ex-EU routings, sitting in lounges, seat selection, using 140k Avios + taxes to fly in a £4-8k CX F seat etc. Opportunities to fly cabins that I normally wouldn't be able to justify cash wise.

binman Sep 18, 2022 2:19 am

agreed! And a monopoly is not just about which airline flies the route. In most cases it’s just two and given the stranglehold BA have on loyalty in the U.K. it’s very difficult to obtain or maintain status if only flying within Europe on the alternative on any given route.

Originally Posted by Blenheim (Post 34609193)
Well, I do have the choice as I pay for all my travel. I have flown about 16 flights this year with BA and I feel differently to you. My experience has been much better than you describe and I choose to continue to pay to fly with BA. Not perfect but no other airline is either.😎

you are indeed fortunate! I have more than a dozen flights with BA ShortHaul this year and not one has been on time! 3 have led to compensation, one to Avios compensation as the onboard and ground experience was so bad! A further two had delays of more than the actual flying and the last one a week ago had a baggage wait time at LHR of more than the flying time. Operationally BA is a shambles.

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 34609255)
Where do you fly from/to?

Any domestic route is full monopoly and the fares increasingly reflect this. Same with Helsinki and routes where the competition is another IAG carrier. IB for example or AA transatlantic or JAL! Theses revenue sharing agreements are simply harmful to competition.

Originally Posted by JD1905 (Post 34609527)
Sorry - But there is no monopoly here. There are plenty of other carriers you could choose to fly with, but you chose BA?

In answer to your question - Why does everyone put up with poor service? It’s because people like you continue to pay for it, and until you stop - nothing will change.

there is domestic monopoly and too many revenue sharing routes. In any event monopolies are not just about the flights on a specific route, as I said above, the stranglehold on loyalty helps drive a wider reduction in choice for consumers.

The drop off charge on top of the £40 of airport fees is outrageous.

There will be no strengthening of consumer rights under this government, indeed only the opposite. So little chance that airport operators will be forced to up their game.