Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why does everyone put up with the rubbish service?

Why does everyone put up with the rubbish service?

Old Sep 23, 22, 1:34 am

In reply to the OP, it’s often down to a misplaced sense of superior service on BA and a reluctance to give up points and status - and how many people have a +1 other half cling on who have no status but would be reluctant not to have lounge access so won’t allow the card holder to fly another carrier.

For me the BA Heathrow lounges sum up the situation - crowded, some very tired and certainly not relaxing places. Despite worsening experiences on the ground and in the air, -and bad experiences highlighted on this forum, BA flights are full. Passengers have a choice but most get stuck in brand loyalty.
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think if you believe BA has superior service you have to have not flown much with anyone. I put up with BA because despite all the talk of choices, if you live in London BAEC drives you to BA and OneWorld, and whilst each trip may have choices, overall BA is the only game in town with all the answers. Sure you can use Virgin going west, but then KLM/AF for Euro trips? Having to always change in AMS or CDG is a horrible thought. I can't offer enough personal experience to comment on heading east. I've not experienced the AA attendants and service many comment on, they're different to BA, but no better or worse as I see it, I get better food, and drinks when I want, so I'm happy with AA when going west. BAEC works for me on short haul, especially with the opportunity as a gold for extra inventory. On SH in Europe are any airlines significantly better than BA, the main ones certainly don't seem to be.

I don't fly nearly enough to maintain multiple statuses with different airlines or alliances, so maintaining a higher status with BA makes sense to me.

One thing I strongly agree with is that CW food is appalling at the moment, and the C19 excuses have no validity any more. Further to that is if you have no status and get the old ying-yang seats without opportunity to select the obviously better seats then CW becomes a very poor option.

Edit/Added:
I agree with Door5L on the lounges at LHR. The toilets alone are a disgrace, often dirty or stained seating, crowding, poor access to working electrical outlets. The idea it's a First Class lounge is funny, but the jokes on us having to use it. Unlike a few on here I don't aim to drink my bodyweight in alcohol, I just want a calm space to sit and relax. The BA lounges offer nothing like that, 5B aside.

Last edited by dougzz; Sep 23, 22 at 4:31 am Reason: Additional comment on lounges.
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
With you on all that, dougzz. We have the added complication of needing to get off Jersey to a BIG airport, which inevitably means BA to LHR/LGW ... after which interlined holiday luggage drives us further into the arms of BA! However, we've not had a lot to sensibly complain about over the years. Yes, the food is now pretty poor and the Lounges are rather tired, but for us what matters is getting to where we want to be at a reasonable price and in reasonable comfort.

That said, our wild excursions to distant parts of the USA had us doing complex itineraries ex-DUB for TPs and using AA, which we found totally acceptable on both l/h and Domestic ... in the good seats, of course!
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:05 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Someone posted this on FB - interesting observation re service, found the fact that they announced to the entire plane that the crew is new and in fact not trained in CW to be a complete joke.

No one pays thousands of ŁŁŁ to be on a training flight on a premium cabin, the request to “be nice to them” is also laughable.

BA Club World LHR-LAX return.

Service. Outbound. The first announcement we got was that the business crew had not received business crew training yet and to be nice to them. Not the best start. They were lovely but not really up to scratch. Only some people got a pre-departure drink, only some people got a bottle of water when boarding. One crew member was pleasant but only had one volume and that was enough for the entire plane to hear. A couple of times when I pressed the button to call a crew member would approach the passenger in front of me, not knowing who to talk to. Twice my drink order was wrong.

Inbound. The crew gave off an unprofessional energy right from the start. No champagne available as they forgot to open it when they were supposed to (you can’t open when on the ground at LAX apparently). Water / OJ offered to only some passengers. Literal crates of glasses and snack left out on surfaces in the cabin. Dinner service was ok but they forgot to take a couple of orders. Once the service was over the crew just disappeared. My last photo shows the accumulated rubbish leftover that I had to call someone to collect. As soon as the lights went out however they came to life but not in a good way - storming up and down the cabin at high speed and as loudly as possible. I could’ve led a horse down that aisle more quietly. Constantly opening and closing the overhead lockers above me and others throughout the flight as well as making an absolute racket in the galleys. The locker above me must have been opened at least 15 times while we were trying to sleep. In the morning I was offered a full English or an omelette with spinach. I chose the full English as I don’t eat spinach. When the omelette turned up on my plate and I apologised and said bud actually ordered the full English the crew member shouted at me that I “deffo didn’t order the full English”. She then stormed off and brought one to me, practically throwing it on my tray.

I don’t usually fly business - this was a special trip for me and my boyfriend and we used the points for the upgrade and so I’m not some regular BC user looking for complaints. I was genuinely very excited to try the club suites and the hard product was really solid and worthwhile. The service I guess was representative of the direction BA has decided to take with its crew.
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Door5L View Post
In reply to the OP, it’s often down to a misplaced sense of superior service on BA and a reluctance to give up points and status
Sorry if this offends some on here, but one thing that makes me chuckle in 2022 is middle aged blokes who promote the fact they are BA gold in various locations such as on their suit case, tagged to their hand luggage and so on. As if being BA gold somehow is a status symbol of success and showing it off shows how 'important' they are to the brand and how they should be getting priority.

On my flight back from BCN one of these was already queuing in the group 1/group 2 line, an hour before we boarded. I walked on after him, he carried on walking through to economy.

I don't promote any of this stuff anywhere. I don't see it as anything really to be proud of, yet some really pull out all the stops to show off their status: yet most have obtained it from work paying for their business trips. I just do not get. And none of them are well dressed or particularly stand out. Just their promotion of gold across their travel bags. So funny.
Lioneye, nick585 and tango_echo like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by chriswiles View Post
Sorry if this offends some on here, but one thing that makes me chuckle in 2022 is middle aged blokes who promote the fact they are BA gold in various locations such as on their suit case, tagged to their hand luggage and so on. As if being BA gold somehow is a status symbol of success and showing it off shows how 'important' they are to the brand and how they should be getting priority.

On my flight back from BCN one of these was already queuing in the group 1/group 2 line, an hour before we boarded. I walked on after him, he carried on walking through to economy.

I don't promote any of this stuff anywhere. I don't see it as anything really to be proud of, yet some really pull out all the stops to show off their status: yet most have obtained it from work paying for their business trips. I just do not get. And none of them are well dressed or particularly stand out. Just their promotion of gold across their travel bags. So funny.
What about younger or older blokes, or women of any age, do you chuckle at them too. Using luggage tags on their suitcase or hand luggage, whatever next.

You may enjoy this BAEC luggage tags: practical utility or personal statement?
passy777 and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 11:24 am

Programs: Accor Silver, BA Blue, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm probably not typical of posters to this forum since I'm not a frequent flyer (BA Blue at the moment). Years ago, I used to fly on whichever airline offered the cheapest and/or most convenient flight. I found that, as an infrequent flyer, I never collected many points in any single airline loyalty scheme. Often, the points would expire before I could spend them. I therefore decided to focus on BA since I'd had very good service from BA in the past (I started flying BA in the 1980s). That hasn't stopped me from flying other airlines when BA don't offer that route (for example, EasyJet for BRS to EDI and BRS to TLS, Eurowings for LHR to CGN).

My first trip since the COVID-19 restrictions were lifted was to FRA, I was very tempted to book Lufthansa, but ended up booking BA because I could use my Avios to upgrade both flights to CE. My next trip is going to be to WAS. I was very tempted to book Aer Lingus via DUB so I could pre-clear US immigration in DUB but ended up booking BA again because I was able to book a flight and hotel for less than the cost of booking the hotel direct, plus I was able to upgrade my inbound flight to CW with Avios.
HIDDY and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dewidaniels View Post
I'm probably not typical of posters to this forum since I'm not a frequent flyer (BA Blue at the moment). Years ago, I used to fly on whichever airline offered the cheapest and/or most convenient flight. I found that, as an infrequent flyer, I never collected many points in any single airline loyalty scheme. Often, the points would expire before I could spend them. I therefore decided to focus on BA since I'd had very good service from BA in the past (I started flying BA in the 1980s). That hasn't stopped me from flying other airlines when BA don't offer that route (for example, EasyJet for BRS to EDI and BRS to TLS, Eurowings for LHR to CGN).

My first trip since the COVID-19 restrictions were lifted was to FRA, I was very tempted to book Lufthansa, but ended up booking BA because I could use my Avios to upgrade both flights to CE. My next trip is going to be to WAS. I was very tempted to book Aer Lingus via DUB so I could pre-clear US immigration in DUB but ended up booking BA again because I was able to book a flight and hotel for less than the cost of booking the hotel direct, plus I was able to upgrade my inbound flight to CW with Avios.
Your case is a perfect example of manufactured spending, most people who have only/mostly flown BA or partners in the past and collected Avios are more likely to fly BA in the future due to their points stored there. Another example would be those who hold a BA credit card such as the BA AMEX. Of course it's easier to ditch loyalty and forfeit the points but as far as my observation, many people don't want to do it and would pay the extra money to get Avios and Tier Points or utilize their existing points. I even know some people who just books something with BA so that they could use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers before they expire just in the sake of not letting them go away.
-
passy777 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 12:15 pm

Programs: Accor Silver, BA Blue, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Your case is a perfect example of manufactured spending, most people who have only/mostly flown BA or partners in the past and collected Avios are more likely to fly BA in the future due to their points stored there. Another example would be those who hold a BA credit card such as the BA AMEX. Of course it's easier to ditch loyalty and forfeit the points but as far as my observation, many people don't want to do it and would pay the extra money to get Avios and Tier Points or utilize their existing points. I even know some people who just books something with BA so that they could use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers before they expire just in the sake of not letting them go away.
-
Indeed, and that is exactly why airlines have loyalty programmes. For the FRA trip, I reasoned that I could fly CE on BA for not much more than economy on Lufthansa and for considerably less than business class on LH. Had I been comparing a cash BA ET fare with a cash LH economy fare, LH would have won. As for the WAS trip, booking through BA cost considerably less than booking the EI ticket and the hotel separately mainly because BA Holidays were offering a cracking flight+hotel deal but partly because I could upgrade my inbound flight with Avios. Had I been comparing a cash BA CW fare with a cash EI business class fare, Aer Lingus would have won.

Several people have posted to this thread to say they've been flying BA to use up Avios. If I continue spending Avios to upgrade every flight, I'll soon run out of Avios, at which point booking BA will look less attractive.
Old Sep 24, 22, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Whereas we have over 1m Avios in the HHA, and struggle to find a meaningful use for them! Renewing BAEC Gold is the current objective (will be done by Christmas) after which we may be able to find somewhere to go ‘for free’ 😀

If not, do we care? All those Avios were just ‘free gifts’ for our loyalty to BA and AMEX.
Old Sep 24, 22, 1:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Whereas we have over 1m Avios in the HHA, and struggle to find a meaningful use for them! Renewing BAEC Gold is the current objective (will be done by Christmas) after which we may be able to find somewhere to go ‘for free’ 😀

If not, do we care? All those Avios were just ‘free gifts’ for our loyalty to BA and AMEX.
what about reward flights on AA, QR, JL etc? All would be meaningful uses of your avios.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dewidaniels View Post

Very similar to my way of doing it. I've always flown with the airline that suited my needs best. Rarely took much notice of their loyalty programme as you really had to be a very regular flyer to climb up the status ladder....there was none of this tier point runs on the cheap back then.

Strange post.
dewidaniels likes this.

Last edited by HIDDY; Sep 24, 22 at 8:37 pm
Old Sep 25, 22, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC. Silver.

Just remember that as a bottom line, Avios can be exchanged for Sainsburys Nectar points in 50k monthly batches.

1000 Avios after conversion is worth Ł8.00 in Sainsburys or Argos etc

So 1m Avios is Ł8,000 which is not a small sum
so is the absolute minimum you should aim for in value.
Old Sep 25, 22, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
-
That's a brilliant summary on what many may perceive the folly of loyalty schemes.

Of course there are some perks staying loyal to a brand or product, but loyalty has to work both ways and the current offerings and failures by BA must surely now have many BAEC members questioning if the benefits actually outweigh the negatives.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by passy777 View Post
That's a brilliant summary on what many may perceive the folly of loyalty schemes.

Of course there are some perks staying loyal to a brand or product, but loyalty has to work both ways and the current offerings and failures by BA must surely now have many BAEC members questioning if the benefits actually outweigh the negatives.
I always find the term loyalty scheme somewhat misleading, I think of loyalty as supporting without logical reason, for example I'm loyal to Spurs, which over the years has cost me a fortune in money, and the emotional cost is incalculable.

An airline/hotel 'loyalty scheme' should be a much clearer transaction, I travel/stay with you, and you offer me these extra benefits and (cash like) rewards. But clearly as the airline/hotel would wish an element of blind faith starts to creep into your behaviour. The airline/hotel POV is they seek to tie you to them, by offering just enough that you start to, by habit, and without real consideration look at BA, Hilton or whoever first. Clearly from the customers POV you have to escape that behaviour and consider each transaction individually, but that is easier said than done. How do you do that? What value can I assign to the FW when at LHR, should I put a financial value to that slight air of superiority at using the special part of the airport, should I value the lounge, when mostly it just makes me angry at the noise and mess, and the horrible toilets. But then I think of the crowd and lack of privacy the terminal offers and the longe seems a big upgrade. What price do I put on getting the Exit row on short haul, and paying a few thousand Avios and Ł35 for lots of European destinations. I feel even if I created a spreadsheet and attempted to value each aspect of BAEC it would be a entirely subjective and irrelevant exercise. There's also the separation between BA and BAEC, many like Qatar, I'm happy on AA when travelling to the US, so that to some extent creates another decision in the choices we make when booking a flight, and deciding where to attribute the FF benefits.

So ultimately it's how do I 'feel' about BAEC, right now I feel it works for me. Now if I fallen into BA trap then so be it, it's not a life or death matter.

With hotel schemes you can pretty much value the points you get, and the discount and other things like cashback/E-store you might get with say hotels.com. But then similar arguments exist around the 'soft' benefits. If I book with Hilton and use their scheme will I get a better room than a 3rd party booking, often yes I feel, so what value on that. If it's a week in Florida the lake view compared to the car park view is significant, if it's an overnight at the airport who cares. Do I value free breakfast, will it make me eat more than I normally would when i shouldn't do that, am I better without it?

I feel I should apologise in advance for this rather rambling excuse for a view on loyalty schemes. I think what I'm trying to say is valuing a loyalty scheme is not so simple, and ultimately much of it is emotion despite what many would like to think.
Fatdickie and tango_echo like this.

Search this Thread