Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why does everyone put up with the rubbish service?

Why does everyone put up with the rubbish service?

Old Sep 21, 22, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club - Bronze (but making my way up slowly!)
If I may, from my perspective. I fly frequently to only a couple of destinations for work, and BA provides by far the most convenient service from a timings perspective. Direct flights - which are, for me, a real premium. The only alternatives are EK or QR, which mean a 3-4hr+ layover at their respective hubs.

The service is functional at best, but to be honest, am I really looking for more than that? The time I spent at home with my family more than makes up for it. In fact, there is really no comparison.
Old Sep 21, 22, 3:05 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classť, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by choosethedrew View Post
Personally I would say the (O)CW hard product was of more pressing importance than the soft product. But only just.
The old CW hard product is v out of date, I agree. However there is a concerted program to re-fit into Ďnewí CW. (ps - I really dislike the marketing differentiation of a single airlineís LH business class cabin into various brands).
Old Sep 21, 22, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, *A Silver, VS Silver, ITA Volare Premium, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
The old CW hard product is v out of date, I agree. However there is a concerted program to re-fit into Ďnewí CW. (ps - I really dislike the marketing differentiation of a single airlineís LH business class cabin into various brands).
Iím not sure itís that concerted, dates for the 787s and A380 remain somewhat elusive. Together, the -8s, -9s and whalejet comprise 42 of the long haul fleet so not an insubstantial number. By the time they have done, they will have to do a next generation on the earliest Club Suites.

I do agree on the sub-branding of cabins but then BA has always been a little overexcited when it comes to marketing.
Old Sep 21, 22, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
CE catering and service is light years ahead of UA Polaris long haul and domestic F. There are some truly ghastly mains these days on UA.

My BA F flights and CCR service this past summer were very good to excellent.

It ainít all doom and gloom at BA.
I agree about Polaris. On a flight from IAD to CDG, I got *one* plastic "glass" of wine for the entire trip - requests for a refill were ignored. This in the middle of Covid with a fairly empty cabin, so no excuse for horrible service.
Old Sep 21, 22, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Red_01 View Post
If I may, from my perspective. I fly frequently to only a couple of destinations for work, and BA provides by far the most convenient service from a timings perspective. Direct flights - which are, for me, a real premium. The only alternatives are EK or QR, which mean a 3-4hr+ layover at their respective hubs.

The service is functional at best, but to be honest, am I really looking for more than that? The time I spent at home with my family more than makes up for it. In fact, there is really no comparison.
This is basically my situation. Fwiw the crew I have had on all of my flights have been excellent, itís the awful (really awful) ground operations that lets all the rest of it down - particularly anything involving Heathrow airport staff (rather than BAís staff at Heathrow)

And BA are not powerless here. They should put their foot down with Heathrow.
Old Sep 21, 22, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems to me, even those who regularly use this forum to have a good moan about BA still fly the airline!!!

This sort of behaviour has to stop now!!!
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:00 pm

Conversely, 'Hiddy' some that don't fly the airline sing British Airways' praises. 😑😁

The cool thing about the FT BA forum is that there is room for all views. I rather enjoy it.

On a more serious note, I am avoiding BA until things improve and will choose other airlines to fly F and J with. I really want to see British Airways move forward. They have made so many mistakes though, including losing valuable, experienced staff.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:18 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classť, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by AnaTravel View Post
On a more serious note, I am avoiding BA until things improve and will choose other airlines to fly F and J with. I really want to see British Airways move forward. They have made so many mistakes though, including losing valuable, experienced staff.
I fly CE a lot, CW a lot less. AA to / from the US unless I can be Ďsureí of Club Suite on the night flight. Eastwards, itís almost always QR. Otherwise whoever is direct. There is v little that pulls me towards BA long-haul.
choosethedrew and AnaTravel like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by chazman189 View Post
This is basically my situation. Fwiw the crew I have had on all of my flights have been excellent, itís the awful (really awful) ground operations that lets all the rest of it down - particularly anything involving Heathrow airport staff (rather than BAís staff at Heathrow)

And BA are not powerless here. They should put their foot down with Heathrow.
interesting. Iím struggling to ascertain which HAL staff, apart from airside security, with whom a passenger would normally interact.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:04 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Then you get on a flight as I did from Alicante. The flight left on time. The lunch that I was served was simply delicious. The crew who served it were simply first rate. The two of them dealt with a full bar service followed by lunch for 28 people. I simply could not fault the service - they never stopped for two hours. Refils were a gogo.

That is the reason that I put up with BA - indeed I fly no one else if I can. Once you are up in the air all is well - getting to being on the aircraft can be somewhat exasperating. I never check luggage as I cannot be bothered with all that faff at carousels, so I am not in a postition to judge. I do have a choice and if BA messed me about I would exercise that choice. Lufthansa did big time. I will never fly them again.
HIDDY and toothy like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnaTravel View Post

On a more serious note, I am avoiding BA until things improve f.
Good for you.
I wonder why the BA naysayers don't follow your example?
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Good for you.

well somebody has to stay and report progress? ....on keeping this thread alive
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, *A Silver, VS Silver, ITA Volare Premium, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Good for you.
Just getting my 4 flights in before I am off to the sunny uplands of other OW members.
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by choosethedrew View Post
Just getting my 4 flights in before I am off to the sunny uplands of other OW members.
you donít need to fly on ba metal for your four flights.
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
you donít need to fly on ba metal for your four flights.
Yes, true, but ex-SOF (I am cheapÖ) my BA avoidance options were limited. Short haul CE I didnít find hugely worse than Finnair, save for the lack of hot towels. Long haul, just no.

Search this Thread