Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why does everyone put up with the rubbish service?

Why does everyone put up with the rubbish service?

Old Sep 18, 22, 6:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 2358 View Post
If you are based in London there really isn't an alternative.
Isn't there? Where do you fly to?
1P, Andriyko, krispy84 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 7:28 am

If there weren't rubbish service, more people would be complaining about all the cups, napkins and leftovers strewn about.
Old Sep 18, 22, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
My stars, there is always a choice. The customer can always choose free agency, booking the optimal combination of schedule, price, and service level each and every time instead of prioritizing brand loyalty and the sometimes psychosomatic / illusory benefits of compiled status. BA is not the only airline that dangles shiny gold and silver thingies to encourage customers to endure conditions inimical to their own interests.

In the US it's most common to hear residents of hub cities dominated by a single carrier (DL = ATL, UA = IAH, AA = DFW, etc.) whinge that they have no choice but to suffer at the hands of their hometown airline. But they choose not to exploit alternative options to better advantage.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 8:21 am

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by chazman189 View Post
Iíve unfortunately flown BA 11 times in the last 15 days, and on every single occasion, the flight has been late by at least an hour (once it was 4 hours, which was nice for the compensation). To boot, itís also through the most pointless things like nobody around to attach an air bridge.

Additionally, the £5 drop-off charge at Heathrow is particularly egregious given the near £40 passenger charge that we pay on top.

Then thereís the cost of the flights - itís now hard to cross the Atlantic for less than £3k in J - when you now get packed lounges, lost luggage (though anyone who checks bags now unless they have to is insane), incompetent security staff so everything takes ages, late flights, under staffing, and of course the ďaward-winning cheese boardĒ.

And with all of this, there seems to be a collective shrugging of the shoulders from BA, and expecting us all to put up with it. I seem to get an apology email after every flight, but nothing is changing. At least Emirates said when enough was enough.

I really couldnít give a stuff whether I get a personal greeting as a Gold member or if a Bronze member boards before me. I simply want flights to be on time and not have perpetual queues at every point of the journey.

Let us not forget that this airline, plus its main airport, took millions in government money during the pandemic, and then fired a ton of staff. Itís simply not good enough, and there donít seem to be any consequences.

Where is the regulator in all of this?

Certainly it's not an "everyone".

Unless you mean all the Golds in their FF program. Many of us with little status choose to be very picky for even flying on BA ,choosing instead to sort out advantages vs poor service

and let's keep the regulator out of this, They haven't yet been able to regulate feelings
skipness1E likes this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 9:49 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Youíll get a similar experience in most other airlines.
Old Sep 18, 22, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
My stars, there is always a choice. The customer can always choose free agency, booking the optimal combination of schedule, price, and service level each and every time instead of prioritizing brand loyalty and the sometimes psychosomatic / illusory benefits of compiled status. BA is not the only airline that dangles shiny gold and silver thingies to encourage customers to endure conditions inimical to their own interests.

In the US it's most common to hear residents of hub cities dominated by a single carrier (DL = ATL, UA = IAH, AA = DFW, etc.) whinge that they have no choice but to suffer at the hands of their hometown airline. But they choose not to exploit alternative options to better advantage.
There is not always a practical choice, unless you want to go to extremes and tell someone to buy a private jet or walk.

Natural monopolies can and do exist for a variety of reasons (ie everyone's not free to build an airport, regardless of their willingness to pay, by government dictate, limiting choice), and well-functioning capitalist systems employ regulation to offset the power of those as needed.
Old Sep 18, 22, 11:50 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL GM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
I can't tell you how grateful I am to FlyerTalk, and to the BAEC forum in particular!

I have been an occasional BA flyer for many years, choosing them whenever schedules and fares fitted, but also flying a lot with other airlines.

Before I started to fly again post-lockdown, etc, I was carefully reading the BA horror stories that seemed to cascade in handfuls every day on this forum. They still do, of course — no diminution that I have detected. And I decided not to fly on BA again until they had got their act together.

So I have been flying longhaul and shorthaul out of LHR on a number of other airlines, all to destinations that BA also "serve", and have not had a bad experience yet. (Yes, I know, it's bound to happen at some point.) Service and punctuality on these other airlines have put BA to shame, and my luggage has not been delayed or lost. As for the famed "Britishness" of the cabin crew — well, I find them coldly efficient and distant compared with those I have been encountering on other airlines during the past 18 months. The personnel on those airlines by and large seem grateful that people like myself are choosing to fly them and pay them for business class seats. It sounds to me as if BA personnel have lost the will to live, knowing that the system is, not to put too fine a point on it, totally [mod redaction].

So once again, I am incredibly grateful to this forum for saving me from having what would have been countless miserable experiences on routes to the US, Canada, Greece, Italy, France, etc, etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I am wondering if BA will eventually cancel my BAEC membership card from lack of use!

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 18, 22 at 3:11 pm Reason: Remove masked profanity per rule 16
Old Sep 18, 22, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec - BA Gold
Again the fundamental problem (In my opinion based on my current experience) is HAL. I have spent the past week travelling the middle east and every time we land there are plenty of ground staff awaiting the aircraft. This afternoon upon landing at LHR we had to wait 25 minutes for a ground agent to turn on the aircraft guidance system! This has actually happened to the last 5 flights I have taken in the last 3 weeks through LHR - every time we are waiting for ground handlers yet at middle eastern airports there are 20+ staff awaiting the aircraft to park. This has 100% got to be the fault of HAL. I actually made a bet with a family member that we would be waiting for the aircraft guidance system to be turned on for 15 mins +. Pathetic really - its not a rant = I'm just stating the facts on the current situation. No other airport has a passenger cap yet HAL has extended it to MAR 2023?!?!?!
NoizeBoy likes this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 3:21 pm

If airfare goes up as much as the stock market, you would be complaining about the prices.
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post

Exactly this,
If someone would like to build loyalty or fly the same airline/alliance all the time, people could give up on several attributes such as convenience ( non-stop vs 1-stop ), better timing, etc... and fly with a competitor. I assume that the OP's main constraint is time so "British Airways" would be the most time optimal airline for most routes if everything goes as scheduled but I'm afraid that unless the Heathrow expansion becomes real and Virgin's short-haul expansion plan ( which was released pre-COVID ) actually happens, I am not seeing a change on the situation.
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Exactly this,
If someone would like to build loyalty or fly the same airline/alliance all the time, people could give up on several attributes such as convenience ( non-stop vs 1-stop ), better timing, etc... and fly with a competitor. I assume that the OP's main constraint is time so "British Airways" would be the most time optimal airline for most routes if everything goes as scheduled but I'm afraid that unless the Heathrow expansion becomes real and Virgin's short-haul expansion plan ( which was released pre-COVID ) actually happens, I am not seeing a change on the situation.
Are you really thinking this through though?

Does BA offer that most efficient route because they're so innovative vs the competition, or are there limited slots doled out by government authorities that are not available to willing competitors?

We are absolutely not talking about a free market here allowing any willing competitor equal opportunity to provide the same product. I trust you realize that.
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by AAL2887 View Post
Again the fundamental problem (In my opinion based on my current experience) is HAL. I have spent the past week travelling the middle east and every time we land there are plenty of ground staff awaiting the aircraft. This afternoon upon landing at LHR we had to wait 25 minutes for a ground agent to turn on the aircraft guidance system! This has actually happened to the last 5 flights I have taken in the last 3 weeks through LHR - every time we are waiting for ground handlers yet at middle eastern airports there are 20+ staff awaiting the aircraft to park. This has 100% got to be the fault of HAL. I actually made a bet with a family member that we would be waiting for the aircraft guidance system to be turned on for 15 mins +. Pathetic really - its not a rant = I'm just stating the facts on the current situation. No other airport has a passenger cap yet HAL has extended it to MAR 2023?!?!?!
Ground staff are BA employees, not anything to do with HAL. Not that they're beyond criticism, but the people dealing with flights are not HAL employees, unless ATC get so tired of BA waiting to turn stand guidance on and blocking the apron, a HAL Operations vehicle might be sent to marshall the aircraft safely onto stand.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Titanium; IHG Diamond;
Originally Posted by AAL2887 View Post
Öevery time we are waiting for ground handlers yet at middle eastern airports there are 20+ staff awaiting the aircraft to park. This has 100% got to be the fault of HAL.
I am no fan of HAL but I do think the appropriate comparison would be against similar European or US airports.

The labour market dynamic is very different elsewhere, and in the Middle East in particular. Middle Eastern airports are all state-owned and have access to an effectively unlimited supply of cheap expat labour, nearly all from third-world countries, with minimal labour protections. I donít want to get off-topic into a debate about which is a better system, but I think it is important to note that these are not straight-forward comparisons.
strowger, StingWest, HIDDY and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Ghoulish View Post
Are you really thinking this through though?

Does BA offer that most efficient route because they're so innovative vs the competition, or are there limited slots doled out by government authorities that are not available to willing competitors?

We are absolutely not talking about a free market here allowing any willing competitor equal opportunity to provide the same product. I trust you realize that.
There are limited slots and BA has most of them. When Heathrow wasn't this competitive as in the past, other airlines could have invested in slots.
Despite the very expensive slot prices at LHR, many airlines are still waiting in line to fly Heathrow or increase their service there.

If BA did cease operations for any reason in the future ( of course I know it's a very low possibility ), with the current market and demand, their gap would be filled instantly.
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by flyingnomad View Post
I am no fan of HAL but I do think the appropriate comparison would be against similar European or US airports.

The labour market dynamic is very different elsewhere, and in the Middle East in particular. Middle Eastern airports are all state-owned and have access to an effectively unlimited supply of cheap expat labour, nearly all from third-world countries, with minimal labour protections. I donít want to get off-topic into a debate about which is a better system, but I think it is important to note that these are not straight-forward comparisons.
Your claim of Middle Eastern airports all being government owned is completely wrong.

A greater percentage of European airports are government owned, and I might add, many utilize contractors for ground services staffed primarily by immigrant labor, including those illegally in the country.
MaxFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread