Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why does everyone put up with the rubbish service?

Why does everyone put up with the rubbish service?

Old Sep 18, 22, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Ambassador
The £5 drop off charge is nothing to do with BA so theoe hopping onto their anti-BA bandwagon should hop off again and concentrate on the BA elements.

So what are folks doing about their gripes other than the ineffectual ranting on FT?
Old Sep 18, 22, 2:24 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by binman View Post
agreed! And a monopoly is not just about which airline flies the route. In most cases itís just two and given the stranglehold BA have on loyalty in the U.K. itís very difficult to obtain or maintain status if only flying within Europe on the alternative on any given route.

you are indeed fortunate! I have more than a dozen flights with BA ShortHaul this year and not one has been on time! 3 have led to compensation, one to Avios compensation as the onboard and ground experience was so bad! A further two had delays of more than the actual flying and the last one a week ago had a baggage wait time at LHR of more than the flying time. Operationally BA is a shambles.

Any domestic route is full monopoly and the fares increasingly reflect this. Same with Helsinki and routes where the competition is another IAG carrier. IB for example or AA transatlantic or JAL! Theses revenue sharing agreements are simply harmful to competition.

there is domestic monopoly and too many revenue sharing routes. In any event monopolies are not just about the flights on a specific route, as I said above, the stranglehold on loyalty helps drive a wider reduction in choice for consumers.

The drop off charge on top of the £40 of airport fees is outrageous.

There will be no strengthening of consumer rights under this government, indeed only the opposite. So little chance that airport operators will be forced to up their game.
Give some examples of routes - I know LHR isnít great for domestic travel, but there is often more than one option.

Anyway - The OP was referencing flights from the US, of which there are plenty of options - far from a monopoly.
Old Sep 18, 22, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JD1905 View Post
Give some examples of routes - I know LHR isnít great for domestic travel, but there is often more than one option.

Anyway - The OP was referencing flights from the US, of which there are plenty of options - far from a monopoly.
There is other carriers to fly with. But the US carriers are worse much worse. I have been lucky all my recent transatlantic flights have been ontime ish. Even landed at a remote stand and was out of the airport inside 30 mins ( hbo). Like the OP said I only take hbo now. Dont trust BA not to lose them.
on the state of Heathrow. I am surprised John Holland Kaye is still in a job. He has presided over this debacle and quite frankly he should of been sacked.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 2:44 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by ermis177 View Post
According to the trading standards authority if you have more than 25% of the marker share then you are a monopoly. BA has more than 50% of the slots in Heathrow.
If I donít want to fly on a certain airline, I wonít. If that means going to another airport down the road then so be it. I donít understand all these people that moan about how bad they are, yet continue to pay for it.

I spend hours upon hours researching the best deals when I fly to ensure I get good value for the money iím paying.

Iím not saying that we shouldnít be criticising BA - But if youíre going to do so then at least stop giving them your money.
Old Sep 18, 22, 2:45 am

There will be no strengthening of consumer rights under this government, indeed only the opposite. So little chance that airport operators will be forced to up their game.
Can you give a single example of regulators *forcing* a carrier to provide good service, anywhere?

Carriers were good prior to the pandemic and perhaps slipped just a bit, but still good, or they were borderline/poor to begin with and welcomed the excuse to stop caring altogether.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 19, 22 at 12:14 am Reason: Remove OMNI/PR material
Old Sep 18, 22, 2:46 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Magnus77 View Post
There is other carriers to fly with. But the US carriers are worse much worse. I have been lucky all my recent transatlantic flights have been ontime ish. Even landed at a remote stand and was out of the airport inside 30 mins ( hbo). Like the OP said I only take hbo now. Dont trust BA not to lose them.
on the state of Heathrow. I am surprised John Holland Kaye is still in a job. He has presided over this debacle and quite frankly he should of been sacked.
Are they? Iíd say the hard product on some US carriers have a far superior J product - There are a number of non US carriers that fly the atlantic also.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Blenheim View Post
Well, I do have the choice as I pay for all my travel. I have flown about 16 flights this year with BA and I feel differently to you. My experience has been much better than you describe and I choose to continue to pay to fly with BA. Not perfect but no other airline is either.😎
Same for me, similar number of flights. Generally positive despite a few ups and downs.
Old Sep 18, 22, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by chazman189 View Post
Sadly donít have the choice, and it was all booked a while ago so option is to cancel and go with another airline ($$$ and probably out of corporate policy), or lump it

Plus, given the monopoly that BA and Heathrow have, there isnít much choice.
You've answered your own question.

Put yourself in their position. Why should they bother to spend more money improving the service, when people are seemingly prepared to pay higher prices for lower service right now.

Over time, customers will get more fussy and/or the pent-up demand will subside. When BA have trouble filling seats and it begins to impact their bottom line, that's when they will improve service.and/or reduce prices.
BearX220, bobblevins and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 3:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
In any event monopolies are not just about the flights on a specific route, as I said above, the stranglehold on loyalty helps drive a wider reduction in choice for consumers.
Stranglehold on loyalty does not mean that consumers don't have a choice. It is entirely possible to avoid BA at LHR if one chooses to fly with a different airline on each occasion. Many people value their status and the ability to collect miles/points more than anything else, but that's their choice. According to the logic of some here, in order for there to be 'proper' competition at LHR there need to be 3 or 4 airlines with BA's network and loyalty programme but that will never happen. But being able to choose between a better product and colleting miles is a choice in itself that no one denies to consumers.
Old Sep 18, 22, 3:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ermis177 View Post
According to the trading standards authority if you have more than 25% of the marker share then you are a monopoly. BA has more than 50% of the slots in Heathrow.
Very much depends on how you define the market.
Old Sep 18, 22, 4:08 am

Sadly donít have the choice, and it was all booked a while ago so option is to cancel and go with another airline ($$$ and probably out of corporate policy), or lump it

Plus, given the monopoly that BA and Heathrow have, there isnít much choice.
Perhaps it's time to sit down and have a chat with your employer regarding how much poor value BA gives them and the stress caused on you that you and the rest of the company deserve better alternative options. Speaking to a friend, she said flights have become heavily overbooked over the last week since the Queen died for people wanting to visit the UK, especially from the USA.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by ExAbz View Post
The £5 drop off charge is nothing to do with BA so theoe hopping onto their anti-BA bandwagon should hop off again and concentrate on the BA elements.
Its part of the overall propisition flying BA though, isn't it? If you have a sub-par experience for things within BAs control, adding on top having to deal with Heathrow can tip people into considering other carriers and airports.

Originally Posted by ExAbz View Post
So what are folks doing about their gripes other than the ineffectual ranting on FT?
You could make this comment about any negative comment on FT? What do you suggest? Dont post here unless you're also taking it up directly with the airline? Is that sufficient, or should posters also lobby their MP? Or the CMA if they think there is a competition issue?
exeu2017 and Ghoulish like this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Unless hoards of people suddenly abandon BA, or you run some agency that provides ££££££££ a year to BA in business travel etc., if you jump ship, there will be someone else to fill your placed.

Complaining changes little. A copy & paste response, or a few Avios thrown your way (which you'll spend with them anyway) both result in nothing happening.
It's only when it affects their bottom line that changes, or "enhancements" occur, and these are designed to benefit anyone but the customer.

If the price, timings etc. are right for you, and you have no real expectations beyond hopefully getting from A to B, theyre fine for what they are. Believe the hype, tales of great service etc. and youll likely end up facing disappointment.
JD1905 and Ramos like this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:12 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
there isnít much choice.
And topic finished.

What are you gonna do? Swim?
LETTERBOY and Ghoulish like this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 6:46 am

If you are based in London there really isn't an alternative.

As far as BA is concerned I don't like - the delays/cancellations, food on the plane, expensive pricing - but flying out of London there are limited alternatives, and I am still stuck with Heathrow..

But I think much of the blame lies with Heathrow. Long lines at Security, Immigration because of understaffing. Lack of ground staff leading to long delays to the disembarkation process. I don't understand why the airlines aren't putting more pressure on them to be more competitive.

Search this Thread