FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Operational Upgrade to F Mid Flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2094442-ba-operational-upgrade-f-mid-flight.html)

AinthePNW Sep 15, 2022 2:26 pm

BA Operational Upgrade to F Mid Flight

Sharing a recent story on BA 49 (LHR-SEA) operated on a 789. I was seated in Club World in the old school yin yang J class in 13A, the seat next to me was empty. Right after lunch was served (maybe an hour to hour and half into the flight) I reclined my seat and was watching a movie when two FAs appeared above me and told me that they were "collecting me" to move me to First. Apparently they needed my seat (and the one next to it) to move some J passengers around since their IFE weren't operational. They collected my things and sent me up to F for the next 8-ish hours. I was thankful for the upgrade, but a bit confused (there were more then 2 seats available in F, why not just upgrade them?) I am a OWE and was on a paid J BA ticket.

stifle Sep 15, 2022 2:37 pm

Your last sentence may be a clue.

JD1905 Sep 15, 2022 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by AinthePNW (Post 34603393)
Sharing a recent story on BA 49 (LHR-SEA) operated on a 789. I was seated in Club World in the old school yin yang J class in 13A, the seat next to me was empty. Right after lunch was served (maybe an hour to hour and half into the flight) I reclined my seat and was watching a movie when two FAs appeared above me and told me that they were "collecting me" to move me to First. Apparently they needed my seat (and the one next to it) to move some J passengers around since their IFE weren't operational. They collected my things and sent me up to F for the next 8-ish hours. I was thankful for the upgrade, but a bit confused (there were more then 2 seats available in F, why not just upgrade them?) I am a OWE and was on a paid J BA ticket.

I suspect your last sentence may have alot to do with it! I’ve been moved from a defective seat on boarding and saw somebody else put in it.

AinthePNW Sep 15, 2022 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 34603423)
Your last sentence may be a clue.

I assumed that was the reason ... I've never experienced this before on BA, even though I usually fly them around 50-100k miles a year (credit to AS or AA).

alex67500 Sep 15, 2022 2:55 pm

Sometimes you get hit by luck, sometimes karma just happens. Just take it with a smile and enjoy! Upgrading from Nicolas Feuillate or Canard Duchene to LPGS isn't bad!

Can I help you Sep 15, 2022 2:58 pm

The attitude of the customers with the seats with no IFE maybe a reason?

golfmad Sep 15, 2022 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 34603489)
The attitude of the customers with the seats with no IFE maybe a reason?

There speaks the voice of experience. I must admit that was the first thing that occurred to me too.

abligh Sep 15, 2022 3:07 pm

I've been moved mid flight (albeit early on). I pretty politely pointed out 3 or 4 minor defects with my seat, and was next to a large group of people travelling together who were being pretty obnoxious to the crew and wanted to sit together and having my seat would have accomplished that, at least technically. So I got whisked off to 1A on an A380, and I never found out what happened to the loud mouths. I got J food rather than F food (fine). I'm sure being both polite and GGL helped.

Can I help you Sep 15, 2022 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 34603510)
There speaks the voice of experience. I must admit that was the first thing that occurred to me too.

And there no better feeling then making it obvious. 🤭

golfmad Sep 15, 2022 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 34603525)
And there no better feeling then making it obvious. 🤭

Got to get your kicks where you can :D

chriswiles Sep 15, 2022 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by abligh (Post 34603516)
I've been moved mid flight (albeit early on)

When travelling out of LAX in F my colleague couldn't make the flight so last minute pulled out. He was booked in the seat behind me. We boarded, served welcome drinks and about to taxi. Seat behind me empty (as it was booked and pre-paid). Me settled, looking at movie options, I hear crew behind me saying to a lady 'much better in here isn't it and at least you have working entertainment here'. They'd upgraded her from WTP to F and she as going on and on about it to the crew member like a child starting a new school and not knowing what to expect.

Was a bizarre feeling. Was interesting to hear her reaction to first time in F, but the other part of me was thinking my company paid for the seat and they'd just moved someone up there for free 😊 No idea why she wasn't moved to J, but I assume it was full and/or everyone settled with drinks, luggage stored and the flight was about to taxi.

Can I help you Sep 15, 2022 3:21 pm

When a customer no shows it is no longer their seat, the customer may be fully or partially refunded.

golfmad Sep 15, 2022 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by chriswiles (Post 34603543)
Was a bizarre feeling. Was interesting to hear her reaction to first time in F, but the other part of me was thinking my company paid for the seat and they'd just moved someone up there for free 😊 No idea why she wasn't moved to J, but I assume it was full and/or everyone settled with drinks, luggage stored and the flight was about to taxi.

We've had these kinds of discussions before and you really need to try to put thoughts of other people out of your mind. You received the service for which your company paid. The fact that someone else received something for free shouldn't detract from that. And remember, people on aircraft in the same cabin as you probably spent wildly differing sums of money for the same seat and services. It's just that we're not aware of those figures when we take up our seats. Wouldn't it be fun if every seat has a price ticket on it.

AinthePNW Sep 15, 2022 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by chriswiles (Post 34603543)
They'd upgraded her from WTP to F and she as going on and on about it to the crew member like a child starting a new school and not knowing what to expect.

Thankfully this was not my first time in BA F :). Though it was my first time in F on the 789 (I have only been in F on the a380) so I needed some coaching on the seat. Again, I am thankful for the upgrade.

alex67500 Sep 15, 2022 3:32 pm

Very delayed duplicate, sorry! Delete.