Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amending a holiday booking to make it cheaper

Old Sep 15, 22, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Hi guys, bit of advice

I booked flights plus car hire to JNB for January next year, booked it on 14 June this year.

The price has reduced by €410pp if I was to book it today so even if I was to cancel and lose my deposit, it’d still be €110 each cheaper. But I’d there a way to amend it just to get it to reprice at the lower price so I don’t lose my deposit?

Is getting a voucher under book with confidence an option?
Old Sep 15, 22, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The voucher was a solution for holidays completed by end of September 2022 but won't help for a holiday next year. The amendment fee should be circa Ł100 so worth seeing whether they would be happy to let you change by paying the amendment fee even if there is no change. Alternatively, see whether changing the car category (so as to have a genuine change) could do the trick.
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Sep 15, 22, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
None of us could possibly know what are the cancellation/change rules for your booking.

your dates make it out of scope for BWC so that’s out, for the rest you can only check if changes are free or call them and ask. That said, for holidays just as for flights only, prices can go up or down and there is absolutely no automatic right to get a refund in the case of the latter, just like Ba can’t ask you to suddenly pay more in the case of the former. You just buy when an itinerary and price work for you, and when you do is basically the time you’ve made your bed and have to lie in it depending on the level of flexibility you selected.
Old Sep 15, 22, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thinking about it again, just changing the car probably won't do it if the lower cost is linked to cheaper flights. Worth seeing whether you can play around with the flights so as to introduce a change in these and get them to fully reprice.
Old Sep 16, 22, 4:16 am
Original Poster

So I rang BA Hols and the agent was willing to reprice it. However, when she did so, she got a different price to that which I got online. She said maybe availability had changed since I looked. I asked could I send screenshots of
my pricing and she said no. However, the lower price is still there now.

Anything I can do?
Old Sep 16, 22, 7:13 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Rebooking flights to get cheaper sale fares and the act of 'churning' (repeatedly rebooking flights to beat ticket deadlines) are measured by airlines and theoretically restricted. Repeat Tour Op offenders can and do get ADM'd and threatened with the loss of IT Fares so they try and avoid, although it's rare to get picked up for a small amount of such cases. Also maybe the agent is trying to rebook in the same dated PNR so historic fares will apply? Technically cancelling and rebooking is your best option. However, maybe requesting they make a date change (1 day later in both directions etc) means they'll be happier to rebook at cheaper fares as won't get picked up.
Old Sep 16, 22, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
There might be an equal or higher clause in the fare, in which case they can't just price it lower.
Without the actual fare details it's hard to say what's going on.
Cancelling and booking anew is likely going to be the way to go.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Sep 16, 22, 10:07 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post
So I rang BA Hols and the agent was willing to reprice it. However, when she did so, she got a different price to that which I got online. She said maybe availability had changed since I looked. I asked could I send screenshots of
my pricing and she said no. However, the lower price is still there now.

Anything I can do?
I've had that before and the standard excuse is that the BAH website doesn't offer 'live' pricing - so it might be showing (for example), promotional hotel inventory that's not actually available any more.
Old Sep 16, 22, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sounds like it’s not starting in London? Why not book the new holiday at the cheaper price and hope within seven weeks of travel there is a flight cancellation / significant retime allowing you to cancel without penalty ?
Old Sep 16, 22, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

So I spoke to a very helpful agent who again couldn’t see the online price on his system but put it through on BA.com & found what I was seeing. After speaking to a supervisor they suggested the best option was for me to rebook myself online and he’d wait on the phone while I did so & once it went through, he refunded me my original deposit -€115 change fee. All in it saved nearly €1250 even with the change fee.

Very happy
NickB and EDIwanderer like this.

Search this Thread