Catania Airport..... Lounge?

Old Sep 14, 22, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
Catania Airport..... Lounge?

Hi all.
Is there a lounge open?

Conflicting reports on BA site and wiki

Has anyone been through Catania recently?

Heading to airport shortly and will have an hour or two to kill
Old Sep 14, 22, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Raddison Rewards Gold
Last time flying BA there was a lounge, but not for BA passengers. The oneworld lounge finder now shows it's for Iberia passengers only.

You can access it by priority pass, not sure about paid but by all accounts it's dire (recent reports on here seem to suggest this is still the case). We had Lounge Club cards from Amex Gold which at the time allowed 2 free visits a year, and decided not to waste a swipe of the card.
Kranebitten likes this.
Old Sep 14, 22, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I have not been to Catania recently, but it was the only lounge I have walked out of. Keep your expectations low.
Fatdickie and groenroos like this.
Old Sep 14, 22, 9:46 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Rubecula View Post
I have not been to Catania recently, but it was the only lounge I have walked out of. Keep your expectations low.
I'm pretty sure I've walked out of every lounge I've been in.

Or possibly been carried out
Old Sep 14, 22, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by ratechaser View Post
I'm pretty sure I've walked out of every lounge I've been in.

Or possibly been carried out
Touche, but no one likes a smart ar*e.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Sep 14, 22, 10:00 am

Regular CTA user here - no lounge for BA. My normal Club MO is to enjoy my lunch at home with the family if on evening flight and then just grab a coffee or the like at one of the bars before boarding to enjoy the service over the next 3+ hours - good crews know how to pace that well as they have time. If in economy then the possible pit stop includes a pizzetta/scacciata/arancino, etc. (there are better of course, but they are OK), backed up with a home made panino for the flight.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Sep 14, 22, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
Originally Posted by Kranebitten View Post
Regular CTA user here - no lounge for BA. My normal Club MO is to enjoy my lunch at home with the family if on evening flight and then just grab a coffee or the like at one of the bars before boarding to enjoy the service over the next 3+ hours - good crews know how to pace that well as they have time. If in economy then the possible pit stop includes a pizzetta/scacciata/arancino, etc. (there are better of course, but they are OK), backed up with a home made panino for the flight.
Yep just got airside
It's heaving, very crowded
Managed to find the lounge
Dragon said no
But to be honest didn't look anything special,
I expect I wouldn't have lasted long

Arancino with Ragu are the best 😋
Old Sep 14, 22, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Kranebitten View Post

that is a shame. I am going to Catania next week for few days and though that the food in the Bellini lounge would be at least OK (Traveling in CE but also have PP). From the picture on PP it looks small but with good view of the airfield.

i think I may have to grab some food at Bar Prestipino (was recommended to me) before getting to the airport
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Sep 15, 22, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Fatdickie View Post
Yep just got airside
It's heaving, very crowded
Managed to find the lounge
Dragon said no
But to be honest didn't look anything special,
I expect I wouldn't have lasted long

Arancino with Ragu are the best 😋
sorry, on a slightly different subject, do you know if this route is covered by on-air wi-fi? I just realised that I need to be connected to the internet in the last hour of my flight next week
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:55 am

Just adding some data to this thread after my recent experience as others may find it useful in the future (I guess it is a popular route for 160 TP runs, especially as I now strongly believe that it is really worth at least few days break with all there is on offer on the Sicilian East Coast).

BA On-board wi-fi: was on and working fine on the outbound but not working at all on the inbound.

BA Club Europe perks (or lack of): No fast track security nor Lounge access with a CE boarding pass. However, with an Amex Platinum you can access Fast Track security (like other airports in Italy) and with the associated PP, can also access the lounge.

Airport Bellini Lounge: it is tiny, with a 35 people max capacity and it was packed when I got there and refused entry. However as I was waiting the lift to go back down, 3 people walked out and so I went back and they let me in.. all I was looking for was a better chair to seat for an hour or so I had to spend. Food selection was not great, but tasty; they had some pre packed small portions (bite size really) of Parmigiana and some savoury brioche rolls with ham, plus a grain salad. There was one Red wine (local Syrah) and a fridge full of still/sparkling water, all usual sodas, plus local Chinotto (highly recommend if you like slightly bitter drinks), some beers. There was also a coffee machine producing acceptable espresso. The seating space is made up of a high table with 4 stools, and the rest are all sofa chairs with small coffee tables, plus 2 office chairs next to two PC/Business corner.

Car Rental: key collection for most companies is within the arrival terminal, however Avis and some others are located next to the actual car park, which is only 3 minutes walk away.

cannot think of anything else but if anyone wants any recommendation for what to do and eat in Catania, Taormina, Siracusa (inc. Ortigia) I would be happy to share.
Fatdickie and dgreen678 like this.

Last edited by marcopizzaiuolo; Sep 22, 22 at 7:15 am
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver
A timely thread and appreciate the info marcopizzaiuolo . We are off next week for a four day break and it was certainly the cheapest 160 TP which I need to renew Silver
marcopizzaiuolo and Fatdickie like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
It sounds like the lounge at Catania has improved since I visited it. At that time (June 2019 I think) there were only plain salted crisps, a tiny selection of soft drinks and one type of beer available; no wine. The seats were uncomfortable, the air-conditioning wasn't very effective - and it was rammed! I decided after some reflection that it was the worst airport lounge I had ever been in!
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by GGLwannabe View Post
It sounds like the lounge at Catania has improved since I visited it. At that time (June 2019 I think) there were only plain salted crisps, a tiny selection of soft drinks and one type of beer available; no wine. The seats were uncomfortable, the air-conditioning wasn't very effective - and it was rammed! I decided after some reflection that it was the worst airport lounge I had ever been in!

i do not think it has improved aside of the very tiny additional food selection, if you can call it that, and it was indeed rammed, not helped by users not following the instructions (clear your own table), and your description still mostly apply, however the whole airport was super busy as there were several flights that had considerable delays and even in the main departure lounge you could not find a seat anywhere, so once those two sofa chairs became available, at least me and the Wife could sit down and have some snacks, a glass of wines and few of those very nice Chinotto BTW, about 40 minutes before closing (it close at 21:00) they cleared all the food but for the crisps

Last edited by marcopizzaiuolo; Sep 26, 22 at 5:09 am
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:17 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
I flew back from Catania in early Aug. Have Priority Pass, but didnt even bother trying to access the lounge. Airside is small, especially given the volume of pax. I found space on a high-table in the bar/caf to the left as you look at the apron (the one you go up steps to). Beer was ok priced. Passport control didnt take long, but once in the non-Schengen area there is v little. The small kiosk selling drinks etc is v expensive.

The good thing with CTA is that you have a c3 hour CE flight back to try and forget the airport.
Fatdickie and marcopizzaiuolo like this.

Search this Thread