Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA<->AA Reciprocal Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
You are unfortunately correct. I've just tried to upgrade two flights showing A6 and A7 on EF (in the upgrade EF request) and was told the upgrade bucket was not available.

It is sad that EF's search for award cannot distinguish upgrade A/C buckets from their sales equivalent.
EF's search tool does show upgrade A and C class options vs revenue class (see screen shot)

Pilot37
alex67500 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
It is sad that EF's search for award cannot distinguish upgrade A/C buckets from their sales equivalent.
Yes it can. If you want to find upgrade availability, use the award search on EF and select
First - Upgrade (for 3-cabin flights only) (A)
and/or
Business - Upgrade (Including 2-Cabin Domestic First) (C)

to find the upgrade availability as opposed to the regular availability
Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:12 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi all,

Since this is quite recent, I was not able to determine the following situation using BA Gold upgrade vouchers

Does anyone know how does this work for
- BA operated, AA coded, AA ticketed?
- BA coded, AA operated, AA ticketed?
- a mix of both above situation

Would you need the availability as per AA or BA?

Maybe there should be a Wiki on this topic.

Cheers!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
There is a GUF thread and wiki. These latest changes were in late May so you need to read from about post 583 onwards - BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread

I used a GUF on a multi-sector BA ticket recently, the BA TATL upgrade was standard but the AA legs that could be upgraded (transcon) had to have availability on the AA prime flight numbers rather than the BA codeshare numbers. It all worked but I've ended up with a BA PNR and 2 AA record locators.
nldogbert likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Yes it can. If you want to find upgrade availability, use the award search on EF and select
First - Upgrade (for 3-cabin flights only) (A)
and/or
Business - Upgrade (Including 2-Cabin Domestic First) (C)

to find the upgrade availability as opposed to the regular availability
It isn't quite that simple - for AA upgrades you must also look for A or C segment-by-segment (one flight at a time). Even if you use the Awards and Upgrades tool, if you search across connections then the results will be wrong – there is a big EF warning at the top of the AA Awards and Upgrades results page ...
  • For AA C & A Upgrades: to get the most accurate results, upgrade searches should be done segment by segment. Upgrade inventory results are NOT valid for segments that are part of a connection, only for individual segments
  • American Award & Upgrade availability is not valid for codeshares. Instead, search for Awards on partners by selecting the partner airline.
DeltaFlyingProf likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:25 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
See SeattleDavid's post. I had mistakenly thought the opposite, i.e. I had searched for the married segment availability, having sometimes been frustrated with some AA agents' insistance (rightly or wrongly) that to modify awards, they had to search again for the full itinerary.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Sep 15, 2022 at 3:39 am
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
So I am just curious if anyone has seen any sight of these mysterious two SWU vouchers that we're meant to be receiving? I passed the 2500 threshold last week and not only do I not have the two new SWUs but I still don't have my GUF2.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
So I am just curious if anyone has seen any sight of these mysterious two SWU vouchers that we're meant to be receiving? I passed the 2500 threshold last week and not only do I not have the two new SWUs but I still don't have my GUF2.
The more I think about it, the more certain I become that all they're referring to are our existing GUFs
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
The more I think about it, the more certain I become that all they're referring to are our existing GUFs
You are probably right. AA is letting its members upgrade using their existing SWUs on BA. It would make sense that the reciprocal benefit is us using GUFs on AA.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Wow this thread got depressing quickly.

Oh the thought of BA rolling out a genuine new benefit.

Effective immediately, British Airways Executive Club Gold members receive two systemwide upgrade equivalents that can be used for an upgrade on American Airlines”

OMAAT oversold their ‘bottom line’.
etiene likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
Oh wow this could be massive.
I've got a PE ticket for LHR-LAX (BA), LAX-HNL (AA), OGG-DFW (AA), DFW-LHR (BA) before the year is out.
It's a 125 ticket (I think, need to check) so any opportunity to step into business C on the return AA leg would be major for me.
Here's hoping for more formal information soon 😍
Old Oct 25, 2022, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
There is a GUF thread and wiki. These latest changes were in late May so you need to read from about post 583 onwards - BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread

I used a GUF on a multi-sector BA ticket recently, the BA TATL upgrade was standard but the AA legs that could be upgraded (transcon) had to have availability on the AA prime flight numbers rather than the BA codeshare numbers. It all worked but I've ended up with a BA PNR and 2 AA record locators.
Was your transcontinental leg sold under BA flight number or AA? AA has availability for upgrade on one of my flights but I was told by the ICC that the flight had to be an AA prime number... You used the same words but with just the word availability, so, if AA has availability for upgrade and I am on a codeshare, can I upgrade? Maybe I should call the UK number?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.