Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II : Disruption to BA operations on and around Mon 19 Sep

Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: allturnleft
BA’s known cancelled flights on Monday Sept 19th are listed below.
Adding this to the Wiki will allow others to update and add Sunday 18th & Tuesday 20th cancellations.
Please note night stop flights at outstations on Sunday 18th and Monday 19th will be impacted resulting in cancellations on Sunday night, Monday morning and Tuesday morning.

Domestic
BA1314 LHR - ABZ
BA1458 LHR - EDI
BA1482 LHR - GLA

BA1315 ABZ - LHR
BA1465 EDI - LHR
BA1487 GLA - LHR

CTA:
BA832 LHR - DUB
BA824 LHR - DUB
BA2774 LHR - JER
BA2778 LHR - JER

BA833 DUB - LHR
BA823 DUB - LHR
BA2767 JER - LHR
BA2775 JER - LHR

Europe:
BA454 LHR - AGP
BA428 LHR - AMS
BA434 LHR - AMS
BA440 LHR - AMS
BA442 LHR - AMS
BA786 LHR - ARN
BA476 LHR - BCN
BA486 LHR - BCN
BA986 LHR - BER
BA754 LHR - BSL
BA322 LHR - CDG
BA838 LHR - CPH
BA552 LHR - FCO
BA554 LHR - FCO
BA914 LHR - FRA
BA734 LHR - GVA
BA736 LHR - GVA
BA738 LHR - GVA
BA2726 LHR - IBZ
BA362 LHR - LYS
BA460 LHR - MAD
BA464 LHR - MAD
BA584 LHR - MXP
BA568 LHR - MXP
BA582 LHR - MXP
BA2610 LHR - NAP
BA346 LHR - NCE
BA348 LHR - NCE
BA352 LHR - NCE
BA2782 LHR - OPO
BA496 LHR - PMI
BA450 LHR - PMI
BA376 LHR -TLS
BA524 LHR - VCE
BA596 LHR - VCE
BA878 LHR - WAW
BA714 LHR - ZRH

BA455 AGP - LHR
BA429 AMS - LHR
BA435 AMS - LHR
BA441 AMS - LHR
BA443 AMS - LHR
BA771 ARN - LHR
BA483 BCN - LHR
BA487 BCN - LHR
BA987 BER - LHR
BA755 BSL - LHR
BA327 CDG - LHR
BA839 CPH - LHR
BA553 FCO - LHR
BA555 FCO - LHR
BA915 FRA - LHR
BA723 GVA - LHR
BA735 GVA - LHR
BA737 GVA - LHR
BA2727 IBZ - LHR
BA363 LYS - LHR
BA461 MAD - LHR
BA465 MAD - LHR
BA583 MXP - LHR
BA585 MXP - LHR
BA569 MXP - LHR
BA2611 NAP - LHR
BA341 NCE - LHR
BA347 NCE - LHR
BA349 NCE - LHR
BA2783 OPO - LHR
BA497 PMI - LHR
BA451 PMI - LHR
BA377 TLS - LHR
BA525 VCE - LHR
BA597 VCE - LHR
BA879 WAW - LHR
BA715 ZRH - LHR

Please update as more information becomes known

Sun 18
BA8757 BHD-LCY
Print Wikipost

Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II : Disruption to BA operations on and around Mon 19 Sep

Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
You may address your request for compensation to:

His Majesty The King
Buckingham Palace
London
SW1A 1AA

Probably best to wait until after his mother's funeral though.
Originally Posted by bestuseofpoints
Thanks, hence asking if people knew the reason, if linked to the funeral it is understandable
No one cancelled flights for my funeral!
eugnk likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
And just to be pedantic none of this due to ATC restrictions. The airport have instigated their HADACAB process which forces airlines to reduce their schedules. ATC have no ability to force airlines to cancel flights.
And the airport has been instructed (not requested) to do this by the Government and the Royal Household.
SW7London and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Airprox
BA2775 on 19th - Cancellation reason ARPN - Airport restrictions, no compensation
I was due out of JER on that flight, have switched to coming back early on Sunday.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Nce-doh is not back sadly, maybe ib or indeed two stop aa (don’t think they’ll do dl)
NCE-DOH is back, it's just performed by either the Amiri 747-8 or the plain white A330. So pull your finger out, and head down to La Croissette and sweet-talk yourself onboard

M
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
OK, now we are entering Kafkaian territory... My NCE-LHR flight is the BA341 on the 19th:

- It shows as cancelled on the app (as per Pilot37's info)
- It shows as operating on MMB
- Expedia see it as operating

So I'm basically on a flight which, as far as I know is cancelled, which the BA app sees as cancelled, but which cannot be amended on MMB nor through Expedia as it shows as operating for both. I'll try call the GGL line tomorrow and see if they can figure out what's happening, but obviously, until and unless they update the status nobody will touch the ticket and obviously, I don't even want to know what rubbish I'll go through on the day (IB full, AA full).

I guess my question is if nobody updates the status on my flight so that it shows as operating even though it is cancelled, when will BA take control - is it 24 hours before and will I get a chance to get help from GGL, or is it only going to be in the morning itself at the airport? And as a bonus question, has anyone ever experienced the "app says it's cancelled but MMB's says it's operating" situation?? Does anyone know what can create such confusing information?
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's 24 hours b efore departure when BA can take control of a travel agency booking. I suspect your flight will be updated in MMB shortly. If there are mass cancellations it's not unusual for it to take a while to get to all bookings. At this stage, however, it's Expedia who will need to resolve this.
orbitmic and KARFA like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Genius1
And the airport has been instructed (not requested) to do this by the Government and the Royal Household.
No.

Pausing arrivals and departures to enable noise-free periods in certain areas, yes, that’s the request/instruction from govt., not cancelling flights. They are two very different things.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
NCE-DOH is back, it's just performed by either the Amiri 747-8 or the plain white A330. So pull your finger out, and head down to La Croissette and sweet-talk yourself onboard

M
Ah, I see, "from Royal funeral to Royal guest" or something? Coming to think of it, I doubt, they frequently head back to Doha in this season so they might as well lend me the beast all the way to Latin America instead!
alex67500 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:29 pm

No.

Pausing arrivals and departures to enable noise-free periods in certain areas, yes, that’s the request/instruction from govt., not cancelling flights. They are two very different things.
That's good to know. Also, my flight was due to land at 9.30 so that sounds well clear of the times when anything was requested?
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Ah, I see, "from Royal funeral to Royal guest" or something? Coming to think of it, I doubt, they frequently head back to Doha in this season so they might as well lend me the beast all the way to Latin America instead!
The 747 spent a fair bit of time shuttling members to & from NCE, DOH, CDG and LHR; the A330 did similarly but is not allowed to host the most senior Royals because "it's not to their highest standards". Personally, I'd slum it opposed to Row 1 out of gate B41!

Hope your trip is resolved soon!

M
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 2:56 pm

Just chatting with Expedia as we speak, trying to explain to them that if it shows as cancelled on the BA flight status page it is cancelled even if BA have not properly updated them!
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:18 pm

And just to be pedantic none of this due to ATC restrictions. The airport have instigated their HADACAB process which forces airlines to reduce their schedules. ATC have no ability to force airlines to cancel flights.
No.

I’m not sure I quite follow how they are “very different things”?

Is there an alternative option available to airlines that doesn’t result in cancellation?

It seems a little Jesuitical to be honest.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Known cancellations are now in the wiki, so feel free to update as necessary

Pilot37
wrp96, KARFA and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
It's probably because I often see 'ATC' blamed for lots of things over which ATC actually has little control!

Well, the request/instruction is 'don't fly over here during this period'. Quite simple. It's up to the airports individually to determine how best to achieve that, in consultation with ATC. New flightpaths could work, but that would create noise over new populations not used to flights. Or the airport could stop operating for a period. Some airports can do that for 1hr or 90mins and still deliver the schedule before closing time/night noise period as applicable (or perhaps the government could exampt any late running flights due to the stoppage from any noise penalties). Other airports can't, so those airports have to decide whether to request cancellation of a proportion of flights, or use, if they have it available, any mandatory process to compel airlines to do so, or just let it go and see what happens, and probably lead to unplanned cancellations near the end of the day.
Jimmie76, orbitmic, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:50 pm

This thing is driving me nuts - why is BA incapable of updating system info? How useless are they really? Now I have a flight which we know is cancelled, which shows as cancelled on their flight status page, which shows as cancelled on my app, but because the system is not updated, nobody can do anything about rebooking me and solutions are very, very few and that is to fly out the day before and with one more stop (both of which is already fairly inconvenient to me in this case) as there is nothing within the standard rules on the same day.

The stupid thing is that in many ways, I might be better off waiting till the day when at the airport, they'd presumably route me on AF or whoever else has space but that is such a waste of time and energy for all involved. Expedia are trying to talk to them, but of course, this is just going round in circle for now and I'm just asked to wait idly when all I want is to go to bed...

Rant over. It is not the end of the world, but it is just unnecessary inconvenience cause by outright incompetence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.