fully flex tickets ex-europe?

Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

fully flex tickets ex-europe?

I have an SQ award ticket JFK-FRA and plan to continue on to LCY or LHR. I also plan to switch my award to a nonstop routing if one opens up close in. Is there any cash product that is fully refundable to method of payment? Otherwise I'm afraid close-in fares or availability on FRA-LON will be quite bad. Looking at a couple days from now, the well-timed departures on BA and LH are both over $400 in Y.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, clearly you can get flexible tickets but particularly if it's a single ticket there isn't much discount on advance purchase. So FRA - LHR is going to be around 650€ and you won't necessarily save much by buying advance. It's a bit like the old rack rate at hotels, if all else fails you end up paying that somewhat high rate. If you see a really low priced inflexible ticket you may want to buy it, if it costs 70€, and you may gain flexibility if BA cancels the original service. Note that Plus fares in Economy can be moved free of charge to a later flight the same day, but the move can only be made on the day. See the FCOD thread for more information.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:27 pm

You mention cash - BA have a sale on now for points (Avios). so might be worth spending cash on them if there are reward flights available for your dates.

Avios reward flights can be cancelled up to 24 hours before departure for a small fee - as little as Ł1 depending which reward/price combo you go for.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:09 pm

Expedia (and other OTAs / TA) have some "Select" fares that have flexibility, not sure how competitive they price up but worth a look
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Sadly no BA or LH awards are available.

I found a flight available with fare MV2COMR through amex travel which seems sensible enough:

CANCELLATIONS

BEFORE DEPARTURE
CHARGE EUR 30.00.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY CHARGES APPLY PER
FARE COMPONENT TO ALL PASSENGER TYPES. INFANTS
WITHOUT A SEAT ARE NOT CHARGED THE FEE.
----------------------------------------------
WAIVED FOR DEATH OF A PASSENGER AND PASSENGERS
TRAVELLING COMPANIONS.
----------------------------------------------
IN CASE OF ANY NO SHOW WITHIN THE FARE COMPONENT
THIS FARE COMPONENT BECOMES NON REFUNDABLE.
-----------------------------------------------
REFUND PERMITTED WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY.
-------------------------------------------------
I don't mind paying $30 to cancel if the close-in award shows up.

Somewhat concerningly, it's a 65 minute connection from the SQ flight, but SQ 25 usually gets in early and non-schengen to non-schengen at fra is probably fine? I-I MCT is like 45 mins.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by desafino
Somewhat concerningly, it's a 65 minute connection from the SQ flight, but SQ 25 usually gets in early and non-schengen to non-schengen at fra is probably fine? I-I MCT is like 45 mins.
BA and SQ operate from completely different terminals at FRA.... Given you're not connecting, you're on separate tickets, MCT time is irrelevant as it doesn't apply to you Remember also if you're delayed in arrival on SQ you'll fall foul of the BA no-show rule making the ticket purchased non refundable.

"Probably fine" is courting trouble in my book. You're braver than me to risk it.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:06 pm

+1 on the above suggestion by Flygod when there is award availability. If you need flexibility, it is really worth keeping a stack of BA or AA miles (or even buying on the frequent sales) and using reward tickets.
IMHO the ability to change and cancel is one of the major benefits of the frequent flyer schemes, particularly when cash fares have increased so much.

Last edited by Bullswood; Sep 6, 2022 at 6:11 pm
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by desafino
Sadly no BA or LH awards are available.

I found a flight available with fare MV2COMR through amex travel which seems sensible enough:

I don't mind paying $30 to cancel if the close-in award shows up.

That fare looks to me to be a Select Pro ticket, which isn't flexible because there isn't a refund for No Shows, which a truly flexible ticket would be. If so then that's not available on the retail market, whereas the Plus ticket would give you FCOD at least. So you could buy the cheapest Plus ticket for say an afternoon flight and then bring it forward on the day, which you can do online if you keep your ticketing tidy.

Frankfurt is probably the most difficult transfer airport of its type in Europe. You could always buy on the day, or deploy Avios on the day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.