Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why is BA not playing the safety video anymore?

Old Sep 3, 22, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Just small curiosity...wonder why on long haul (and short) BA is not playing the safety demonstration video anymore and just doing manual?
DO they think the humourous message was off brand with COVID... ?
Old Sep 3, 22, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by massi1234 View Post
Just small curiosity...wonder why on long haul (and short) BA is not playing the safety demonstration video anymore and just doing manual?
DO they think the humourous message was off brand with COVID... ?

Hi,

I think one addition with the manual demnostration is the statement to ' you may have to remove your face mask to put on the oxygen mask)

On short haul. most of the screens have been removed ( ie no more moving map on display during flight)

Regards

TBS
SxMan and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 3, 22, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm so happy that they don't. I much prefer manual safety demos and I really think that typically many people (certainly myself included) pay a lot more attention to people than to screens.
Old Sep 3, 22, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
There is no reason they can't play the usual video and then have a manual announcement at the end about face masks, like many other airlines do at the moment. But anyway, quite happy to avoid Chabuddy G until they can produce a video which isn't so cringe.
Old Sep 3, 22, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Having recently watched the ridiculous Qatar footballers safety video, Id prefer manual demo any day !
Old Sep 3, 22, 6:04 am

Licensing expired?
wrp96 and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 3, 22, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
My understanding was that it hasn't been updated for club suite (alongside the face mask thing).

It's not shown on short haul anymore as the screens were removed (or not fitted in the case of the NEOs).
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 3, 22, 6:24 am

A new one is in the works apparently. Not sure whether it's of the same standard as the last...
SW7London and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Sep 3, 22, 6:29 am
formerly JackDann

I like the On-Screen demonstration because each airline is different and I just like seeing what they come up with. I never fly BA Long Haul anymore unless its a holiday though, so dont really get sick of them.
Old Sep 3, 22, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC
I had a manual safety demo on Thursday on GVA-LCY. It was manual but with prerecorded audio. At the end, the FA added a bit about removing your mask before fitting oxygen mask. Funnily, he was the only person on the plane with a mask on.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 3, 22, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc View Post
I had a manual safety demo on Thursday on GVA-LCY. It was manual but with prerecorded audio. At the end, the FA added a bit about removing your mask before fitting oxygen mask. Funnily, he was the only person on the plane with a mask on.
BACF uses a pre-recorded announcement as there are only 2 crew members. I assume if 1 read from front then the cabin visibility requirements would not be satisfied and the demo would have to be repeated a la mainline A319 with 3 crew.
flygirl68 and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 3, 22, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I'm so happy that they don't. I much prefer manual safety demos and I really think that typically many people (certainly myself included) pay a lot more attention to people than to screens.
I think the number of passengers who pay attention to the safety demonstration, whether manual or video, is very small. The problem is that the important parts of the message, such as where to find your life jacket and how to exit the aircraft safely in an emergency, are lost amongst the waffle and the stating of the obvious. There cannot, for example, be a single person on board who does not know how to fasten and unfasten a safety belt, or that smoking is not permitted on board.

Airlines - all airlines, not just BA - really need to rethink the safety demonstration and come up with something short and succinct that will keep passengers' attention long enough for them to understand the procedures to be followed in an emergency.
Old Sep 3, 22, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Safety videos - as an alternative / accompaniment to demos by CC - are fine when their content remains fully-focussed on the intended purpose. But since the development of what now appears to be a worrying competitive urge among airlines to make them ever more entertaining & amusing, the risk of diluting the core message is very real.
Stick to the facts, which ideally means no ‘comedy’ punch lines, no celebs, - and please …… no footballers …..
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 22, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
I think the number of passengers who pay attention to the safety demonstration, whether manual or video, is very small. The problem is that the important parts of the message, such as where to find your life jacket and how to exit the aircraft safely in an emergency, are lost amongst the waffle and the stating of the obvious. There cannot, for example, be a single person on board who does not know how to fasten and unfasten a safety belt, or that smoking is not permitted on board.

Airlines - all airlines, not just BA - really need to rethink the safety demonstration and come up with something short and succinct that will keep passengers' attention long enough for them to understand the procedures to be followed in an emergency.
It's done to specific CAA/EASA requirements. I assume the FAA does the same in the US. Things like fastening and unfastening belts have to be included - BA has no choice in the matter.
However I think you'd be surprised at how many don't know how to do the belt up...
Jimmie76, flygirl68, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 22, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MFCC View Post
It's done to specific CAA/EASA requirements. I assume the FAA does the same in the US. Things like fastening and unfastening belts have to be included - BA has no choice in the matter.
I assumed that might be the case. But times change, and procedures need to change too: today's passengers are a lot more likely to have flown many times before, and they also have far more things competing for their attention when they should be watching the safety demo. Most passengers seem to use the time to check and update their social media one last time before becoming airborne, which probably wasn't a thing when the CAA drew up its guidelines.

Search this Thread