Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Just made Gold! What should I look forward to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I reached Gold for the first time today, after first joining EC (and reaching Silver!) as a student back in 2011- with the help of a Tier Point on AA F I learned about through FT.

Fast forward 11 years and I’m now based in San Francisco with lots of travel back to London as well as Berlin.

So a big thanks to this community for the information and advice over the years!

And on that note, any thoughts on what I should be most excited for now?

I travel on WT redemptions a lot due to their flexibility, so I’m already excited for exit row seats, increased award space and the arrivals lounge!
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Not needing to chase Tier points and realising that eating in the lounge and sitting at the exit seats on short haul economy flights is best use of £s
dap891 and Schwann like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:09 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Newly minted gold member
dap891, m8_rotate and orbitmic like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome

for me, the first lounge at LHR. Breezing through security and straight into the lounge. Bliss
TPRun, dap891 and Chris_G like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

V class converting into additional award space.
dap891 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by Paolo1972
Welcome

for me, the first lounge at LHR. Breezing through security and straight into the lounge. Bliss
Love this, too. Sometimes the taxi drivers think I'm telling them to go off the ramp when I ask them to drop me riiiiight down the end
Paolo1972 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Agree with the First Wing - makes such a difference. I notice the lack of it at T3, but fortunately the First CX lounge quickly makes me forget! The first lounges globally are also much nicer in my experience, Mumbai being a particular favourite. Still looking forward to some of the East-Asia ones though.
rt23456p, drwook, TPRun and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dap891
Being Gold generally means that flying is a slightly less miserable experience than it is for ordinary folk. That's about it, really.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Pass the time counting how many Silver tags you can see, and feeling superior? 😎
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Without a doubt First Wing is a real bonus at LHR - the time saving and the quick access into the lounge and the breakfast that I don't get onboard! I think the extra allocation of Avios seats has been really helpful for me and my family. Finally, getting on board in Group 1 which guarantees that my hand baggage stays with me in the cabin and doesn't get banished to the hold.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Misco60
Being Gold generally means that flying is a slightly less miserable experience than it is for ordinary folk. That's about it, really.
110% this. You won’t receive any actual recognition from flight crew, if that’s what you are wondering. You can just get through security faster and have a better seat, whilst earning a lot more Avios from flying. Outside of fortress heathrow, OWE gets you into many lounges that are superior to BA’s offering.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
110% this. You won’t receive any actual recognition from flight crew, if that’s what you are wondering. You can just get through security faster and have a better seat, whilst earning a lot more Avios from flying. Outside of fortress heathrow, OWE gets you into many lounges that are superior to BA’s offering.
Have to disagree. On my last three short-haul flights behind the curtain, cabin crew personally greeted me and offered me a drink. Yesterday the cabin crew was genuinely disappointed that I only wanted a black coffee, rather than a glass of champagne! It doesn't happen every time, and it hasn't really become institutionalised, but with the right cabin manager on board, you will get some recognition
EDIwanderer and Paolo1972 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by JSM8
Have to disagree. On my last three short-haul flights behind the curtain, cabin crew personally greeted me and offered me a drink. Yesterday the cabin crew was genuinely disappointed that I only wanted a black coffee, rather than a glass of champagne! It doesn't happen every time, and it hasn't really become institutionalised, but with the right cabin manager on board, you will get some recognition
Yeah, but you’re kind of making my point for me. The level of service and recognition is wildly variable across BA crews, so this isn’t a benefit of being Gold. It’s a benefit of some crews actually achieving decent professional standards and customer service.
Misco60, markmac, ermis177 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by dap891
I reached Gold for the first time today, after first joining EC (and reaching Silver!) as a student back in 2011- with the help of a Tier Point on AA F I learned about through FT.

Fast forward 11 years and I’m now based in San Francisco with lots of travel back to London as well as Berlin.

So a big thanks to this community for the information and advice over the years!

I travel on WT redemptions a lot due to their flexibility, so I’m already excited for exit row seats, increased award space and the arrivals lounge!
There's quite a few threads about this. One above just recently that was linked.

When I first turned gold, often cabin crew would recognise the status. Occasionally, prehaps an extra drink in economy. Not so long ago, many stories on here, that turning gold, on your first flight, you got a space available upgrade.

That was precovid and some years ago. Unsure if that's still the case for gold's now, with the change in cabin crew.

Also gold line should be quicker to get through to and extra Avios availability in economy. And as mentioned, to he lounges if applicable.

But the best benefit is you must be flying a lot, which I love.

Enjoy and take a look at the other threads.
Grande Annee and dap891 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.