Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

BA109 - diverted to AAN

BA109 - diverted to AAN

Old Sep 1, 22, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
BA109 - diverted to AAN

Waiting at DXB for todays BA108 back to LHR and the inbound has diverted to AAN.

We have been told there is a delay of two hours, but as of yet no reason for diversion. Some delays into DXB today due to weather, but no other flights have diverted.

Have checked on ExpertFlyer and its showing more info at 11:30.

Any suggestions to get a better idea on ETD?

Last edited by andrewr1985; Sep 1, 22 at 11:40 pm
Old Sep 2, 22, 12:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
i don't know why it diverted but my money would be on a medical emergency
Old Sep 2, 22, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Diverting to an airport 100 miles away for medical emergency?
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Sep 2, 22, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Had to look up AAN

Al Ain airport UAE

Regards

tbs
Old Sep 2, 22, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Diverting to an airport 100 miles away for medical emergency?
so whats your money on then?
Old Sep 2, 22, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Apparently due to weather, and whilst it was foggy no other DXB flights diverted. My guess is low fuel and they are saying weather to avoid having to pay compensation to everyone.
Old Sep 2, 22, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I drive past DXB airport everyday, this morning around 7:15am, there were parts of the road you couldn't see 10 metres in front so visibility was very poor in places with fog. But also some stretches of road there was no fog at all.
Old Sep 2, 22, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by andrewr1985 View Post
Apparently due to weather, and whilst it was foggy no other DXB flights diverted. My guess is low fuel and they are saying weather to avoid having to pay compensation to everyone.
unlikely, they would have had plenty of fuel , but looking at the flights due in around thevsame time there are some lengthy delays. Their hold time due to the weather may have introduced fuel issues
Old Sep 2, 22, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Or maybe - and Im just putting this out there as a possibility, however remote - the captain made an informed decision based on well established safety protocols and years, if not decades, of experience.
Old Sep 2, 22, 1:19 am

Whilst it is annoying, it isnt an attempt to not pay out by claiming it was due to weather. More than one flight diverted.
Diverting is a PITA sometimes and especially out there. AAN only has 8 parking stands and rapidly fills. DXB can also impose some really quite horrendous holding times with EATs (expected approach times) vastly in exceedance of any reasonable amount of fuel carried for the conditions forecast. The forecast itself from DXB never mentions fog and given the airport operators comments from their met office only indicate a 10% chance the its no wonder when it actually did happen, it caught out some by nothing more than sheer bad luck on timing.

Hopefully youll be on your way around the half 12 mark UAE time.

EDIT - for clarity, by forecast I mean the information given to flight crew that form the official met forecast given to airline crews in order to assist in fuel decisions. There is no mention of fog on that forecast. The information provided to airport users based there which is reproduced below was subsequently updated to include the smallest chance of it occurring, which it actually did end up doing.

gcuk, krispy84, Krisz and 9 others like this.

Last edited by Sigwx; Sep 2, 22 at 1:36 am
Old Sep 2, 22, 1:36 am

Programs: JE SUIS EXTRAORDINAIRE
Also affected by the flight & in the lounge , the app shows est dep 1226 hours
Sigwx likes this.
Old Sep 2, 22, 2:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My experience is also that when fog or dust storms get to DXB - which is pretty rare - ATC tends to give a fairly outrageous estimated time in the hold leading to diversions to AUH (in my case). The actual arrival queue wasn't anything like as bad, but the flight crew have to go with what they are told.

For the record the schedule for BA109 was
LHR 21:15
DXB 07:30

Actual was
LHR 21:36
AIN 07:46 arrive
AIN 09:53 depart
DXB 10:50

and a 2 hour stop is on the low side in my view. BA108 is going to be delayed and the current 12:20 estimated departure (schedule 09:20) seems optimistic to me, I would expect it nearer to 13:00 hrs.

EC261 will not be payable on either BA109 or BA108.
Old Sep 2, 22, 3:29 am

BA 108 has released brakes at 12:19 UAE time. Not bad considering a diversion, splash and dash, and recovery to DXB making it a 2:59 delay thus far.
Old Sep 2, 22, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Dear oh dear
Old Sep 2, 22, 10:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
We do love a conspiracy theory don't we!
TTmex, wfiring12, mikeyfly and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread