Wiki Posts
Search

Unfair excess baggage charge as BA Silver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2022, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Unfair excess baggage charge as BA Silver

I booked an economy return ticket with BA to the USA (LHR-SJC then LAX-LHR). Both directions the flight had a BA flight code, but the return leg was operated by American Airlines as a 'code share'. This was a single booking.

I hold Silver status in BA exec club which according to the BA website allows me 2x bags up to 32kg on any class of booking. So I took two heavy bags.

On the way out this was no issue. On the way back, American Airlines charged me 77 dollars overweight fee per bag. I was told that this is because their equivalent level (which is Oneworld Sapphire) does not recognise the extra weight allowance unless you travel first or business, and I was in economy.

The AA system instructed the check-in staff to apply BA policies due to the code share, but the record on the AA system of BA's policy did not match that on the BA website specifically they stated I had to be flying in Business or First. They acknowledged the discrepancy but basically wouldn't budge on the charge (two supervisors were consulted - the queue was very short!) and I was forced to front up nearly 150 dollars to check in or miss my flight which obviously I paid.

I complained to BA via their online form but predictably have received no reply at all.

I wonder if I'm in the right or wrong here - it seems that if BA sell me a return ticket, and let me take that much luggage out, then surely I should be allowed to bring it back again.

Interested to hear if anyone has any opinion or suggestions on this!

Last edited by jc292; Sep 1, 2022 at 6:20 am
Old Sep 1, 2022, 6:37 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
jc292, welcome to Flyertalk.

Are you able to share with us what your e-ticket says about checked baggage allowance? That ought to be the definitive record of what you should have been permitted.

The baggage page on BA.com, under the BA/Oneworld members question, does state that "The above allowances apply to British Airways flights only", so it is a little more complex than simply thinking what you took out will automatically be allowed coming back.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I would check what is your e-ticket receipt is showing as baggage allowance. If that matches with BA website then I would just do a credit card chargeback.
however if the e-ticket receipt is saying that baggage allowance is based on the operating carrier then whatever is AA policy is the correct one.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks I have requested an e-ticket receipt since I am not routinely sent these by the travel agent, apparently it takes up to 28 days for BA to email that information. The flight was class H.

I think even if the e-ticket stipulates the allowance is based on the operating carrier, the question remains somewhat open. According to the checkin staff member, the carrier (AA) system indicated that their policy is to apply the BA allowance in a code share situation. But the AA system's record of the BA policy was that Silver allowance applies only in First/Business, which is not consistent with the published BA policy.

In fairness to AA their staff member did work very hard to find a reason to bypass the charge but ultimately she was advised by her supervisor(s) to resolve the ambiguity in favour of AA rather than BA. They all seemed a bit worried about the consequence for their jobs if they did bypass it so I didn't push the matter even harder, although we were there for about 20 minutes.

I am definitely going to be more wary of booking code share flights now, I really had no idea of this extra complexity!
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by jc292
I complained to BA via their online form but predictably have received no reply at all.
This all sounds very frustrating. Be aware that a response may take 6-8 weeks, although it may be faster as you're a Silver.

With you having booked the BA code on the AA flight, I'd have expected the BA allowance to apply. Unfortunately, BA.com is vague enough to not be definitive in this situation.

Hopefully Customer Relations will reply soon and refund the XSB charge.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I also think the 32 kgs applies here, due to the codeshare, joint business principles, and the information on the BA website (more by omission) which indicates that codeshares on BA have BA's allowance.

The reason for difficulties in this space is that it probably won't be on the e-ticket - loyalty led extras are circulated via training and so the way it works within BA and IB is that bags over 23 kgs have an excess charge, but that charge is waived for Silvers/Golds/Sapphires/Emeralds.

Having said that, BA are quite used to AA charge people for baggage incorrectly in all sorts of ways, and will refund excess baggage if incorrectly charged. So I would hope the OP uses
ba.com/complaints
mentions that they were on a BA codeshared, BA marketed service on AA and were charged an excess baggage fee. There is very little point arguing anyway, so best to pay up and then reclaim.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does seem very complicated even for staff to understand nevermind customers. Hope you get refunded.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:17 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
and in all my travels with free checked bags I had always thought that I was liable for oversize/weight

so I will keep on checking beforehand for the rare case of oversize/weight
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:41 am

Most BA Economy fares that allow baggage allow for one piece of baggage at 23kg. BA Silver/OW Sapphire ups this by an additional piece in AA's eyes but the weight appears to be the sticking point and what AA is charging for here. Interestingly had the OP stuck to BA coded, BA operated fligjts LAX-LON then under BAEC rules they'd have been eligible for the 2 pieces @ 32kg. This doesn't carry across to codeshares or joint venture operations. I believe the devil is in the detail and this will come out once the e-ticket copy has been provided.

I'd probably check with the documentation provided by your travel agent and if theyve specifically NOT advised your baggage allowance at any point go after them for the additional charges because theyve not advised you properly. Obviously this is only going to be an option of recourse in the event they've not ever bought your baggage allowance to your attention based upon the fare being purchased.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
As far as US DoT is concern, the baggage allowance must be communicated with the ticket receipt.

BA could have indicated one of the following on the ticket:
  • General public baggage allowance (23kg)
  • BA Silver allowance (32kg)
If BA indicated on the ticket the general public allowance and essentially waived extra charges at check-in due to BA Silver, then AA charges are appropriate as the general public allowance is 23kg.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by seawolf
As far as US DoT is concern, the baggage allowance must be communicated with the ticket receipt.

BA could have indicated one of the following on the ticket:
  • General public baggage allowance (23kg)
  • BA Silver allowance (32kg)
If BA indicated on the ticket the general public allowance and essentially waived extra charges at check-in due to BA Silver, then AA charges are appropriate as the general public allowance is 23kg.
I can confirm that BA e-ticket receipts (if you entered your BA EC number during bookings) does reflect the correct status related baggage allowances. I have some mixed carrier bookings and all has the relevant information about baggage. I understand that if you enter an another OW carrier frequent flyer number during bookings then it might not have the correct information but in this question this is not the case.
BA specify on its website also that the status related extra bag allowances for British Airways flights only. Now it doesn't explicitly specify will that include BA codeshares or not, hence the confusion here.
I checked and in my BA ticket where I had an AA segment with BA codeshare number it does say 32KG however there is a small print as well which directs you to the AA website. However if the OP e-ticket is showing what mine is then I would push for a refund. On the other hand I have some e-tickets where Qatar flight is included with its own flight number and the receipt clearly states check with Qatar about bags.
This is why I think the e-ticket receipt would be very helpful.
wrp96 and KARFA like this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC

This is what is on my e-ticket for trip in December.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Krisz
I can confirm that BA e-ticket receipts (if you entered your BA EC number during bookings) does reflect the correct status related baggage allowances. I have some mixed carrier bookings and all has the relevant information about baggage. I understand that if you enter an another OW carrier frequent flyer number during bookings then it might not have the correct information but in this question this is not the case.
BA specify on its website also that the status related extra bag allowances for British Airways flights only. Now it doesn't explicitly specify will that include BA codeshares or not, hence the confusion here.
I checked and in my BA ticket where I had an AA segment with BA codeshare number it does say 32KG however there is a small print as well which directs you to the AA website. However if the OP e-ticket is showing what mine is then I would push for a refund. On the other hand I have some e-tickets where Qatar flight is included with its own flight number and the receipt clearly states check with Qatar about bags.
This is why I think the e-ticket receipt would be very helpful.
What the website states and what is coded on the ticket could be two different things. As you mentioned, having the e-ticket receipt is critical. US regulations 14 CFR § 399.85 (c) requires this information on the specific ticket confirmation for airline issued tickets but allows for agency-issued to include a link. Website could provide some indication but the actual allowance is on the specific ticket confirmation.

Without that information specific to OP's ticket, it's not possible to determine whether AA charges were appropriate or in error and/or responsible party to make a claim against if in error (eg BA added incorrect baggage allowance , AA followed such allowance, claim is with BA vs. BA coded the more generous allowance but AA charged in error; claim is with AA).
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
What the website states and what is coded on the ticket could be two different things. As you mentioned, having the e-ticket receipt is critical. US regulations 14 CFR § 399.85 (c) requires this information on the specific ticket confirmation for airline issued tickets but allows for agency-issued to include a link. Website could provide some indication but the actual allowance is on the specific ticket confirmation.
What you want is § 399.87 - must follow marketing carriers rules, which in this case means BA's. Also it's the outbound baggage allowance that applies everywhere.

Originally Posted by § 399.87 Baggage allowances and fees.
For passengers whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees that apply at the beginning of a passenger's itinerary throughout his or her entire itinerary. In the case of code-share flights that form part of an itinerary whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees of the marketing carrier throughout the itinerary to the extent that they differ from those of any operating carrier.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for these very detailed perspectives. It is interesting that even among this set of experienced perspectives that there is no clear consensus. I will definitely be posting back here when I get hold of the e-ticket receipt from BA, or if I ever receive a reply from the BA complaints team. It sounds like both might take several weeks to reply.

If the e-ticket is indeed critical to the charging decision it is somewhat surprising that AA did not pull it up to check, or indeed that it was not supplied by the travel agent. However from the above thread it sounds like this relates to privileges of BAEC which are not necessarily represented on the ticket but are applied at check in due to training/policy and that would be consistent with AA's actions observed at check-in which were entirely around consulting the guidelines on their system rather than anything specific to my ticket. The check-in staff member did repeatedly quote off the screen saying they should apply BA allowances but that their record of those allowances was not consistent with the BA website. It seems also inconsistent with basic fairness if I buy a return ticket and can't return with my outgoing belongings, just because they outsource my BA coded flight to some partnering airline.

I am not sure whether I will see my 150 dollars again but I have definitely learned to be wary of code sharing. Honestly I would probably avoid booking a code shared flight with BA after this experience - it I not something I would have even thought to consider as an issue before.

​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.