Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is this normal [no seat choice at check-in]

Old Aug 27, 22, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Here I was with my finger on the button right at the 24 hour check in point to choose my seat for tomorrows BA84 Van- London believing what the button said to “Choose my Seat”. I pressed the button only to find I had been assigned a seat 60F. There was no choice to be had. I went back in selecting change my seat and there were none to choose. Is this normally how checking in on line 24 hours before works. You have no choice. Thank you

Last edited by Skysea; Aug 27, 22 at 10:31 pm
Old Aug 27, 22, 10:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Are you flying August 28th? In which case this is the cabin. Busy, presumably theoretical seating is in play

For more choice, choose at least 72 hours out, which will cost if you have no status.

Also, a more specific title for the thread would be helpful for others searching in the future “No seat choice available at online checkin?” Or similar
simonsmith likes this.
Old Aug 27, 22, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Mike. Yes it the August 28th flight. Do the X refer to available seats?
Old Aug 27, 22, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
X is empty but you can’t select - they are “blocked.” If the cabin is 100% full the desk staff will allocate people these seats
Skysea likes this.
Old Aug 27, 22, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Best thing to do in this case ( and indeed most of the time ) is to check in , but not generate a boarding card .. then you can go back in the app and see if you can get a better seat at any time and only need to generate your boarding card closer to the time.

Once you generate your boarding card you can't change the seat yourself
simonsmith likes this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 12:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Sinxe the introduction of theoretical seating, someone with no status will have very little seat choice available when check in opens at t-24.

Theoretical Seating master thread: Blocked seats and status
Old Aug 28, 22, 1:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA have nearly managed to fill an A380 then. First has 1 seat spare, nothing available of the 97 seats in CW and technically 4 seats available out of 55 in WTP. I suspect they will sell upgrades to those 4 seats. WT is not completely full, but but I think they've sold 280 or more of the 303 seats. You can see why BA has an A380 n this Vancouver route.

Since we know at least anecdotally that BAEC members are extra keen to go flying, it's not entirely surprising that there isn't much choice at OLCI. Those without status indeed won't do well. If this was a not-unusual 70% filled service then the OP prrobably would have had more choice, but WTP is a swing cabin in terms of upgrade potential.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Skysea View Post
Hello,

Here I was with my finger on the button right at the 24 hour check in point to choose my seat for tomorrows BA84 Van- London believing what the button said to “Choose my Seat”. I pressed the button only to find I had been assigned a seat 60F. There was no choice to be had. I went back in selecting change my seat and there were none to choose. Is this normally how checking in on line 24 hours before works. You have no choice. Thank you
Yes it is usual that the seat assignment has already been pre-allocated before you check in. If there was availability you could change your seat but in this case, all seats have been pre allocated so I guess a pretty full flight if there is nothing to change to.

Search this Thread