Why is the CCR so called?

Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
Why is the CCR so called?

Why is the Concorde Room called the CCR? The extra "C" appears excessive for an acronym. Should we expect it to be enhanced away?
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
CCR is short for Concorde Club Room iirc
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The abbreviation is more of a FT artefact than anything else. BA staff tend not to use the abbreviation, and often call it the Concorde Lounge, without giving it or the implied inaccuracy much thought. It's such a niche activity that it doesn't really need an abbreviation whereas a big chunk of the FT readership either uses CCR or plans to do so at some point, hence it's in active use in this forum. Most travellers won't know anything about it. If we used CR that would obviously be confusing for our other bugbear, also called CR.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:53 am

Use of the word Room has also struck me as odd. It is quite a large lounge with clearly different parts: dining, balcony terrace, main lounge plus loads of smaller walled and doored spaces.

The original Concord and F lounge in T4 was more of a single space but I cant remember if it was called a room or lounge. If it was a room then the CCR has just inherited the title.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I think op is saying why CCR and not CR. But CR = Customer Relations.

Although GF could be Galleries First or Gluten Free

It would be best if we all stuck with the full description rather than acronyms, IMHO FWIW.
TTmex, SxMan, T8191 and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

CR = Cristiano Ronaldo and GF = Girlfriend.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by craigthemif
CR = Cristiano Ronaldo and GF = Girlfriend.
GBH?
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Use of the word Room has also struck me as odd. It is quite a large lounge with clearly different parts: dining, balcony terrace, main lounge plus loads of smaller walled and doored spaces.

The original Concord and F lounge in T4 was more of a single space but I cant remember if it was called a room or lounge. If it was a room then the CCR has just inherited the title.
LHR T4 and JFK were / are Concorde Rooms too. I think use of the word room was to create a sense of exclusivity and mystique compared to lounge. Whats in that room?
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
LHR T4 and JFK were / are Concorde Rooms too. I think use of the word room was to create a sense of exclusivity and mystique compared to lounge. Whats in that room?
Like SQ and the Private Room.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Genius1
The elephant in the room may also be class (as is frequently the case in the UK). Lounge is very much not an upper class word and I imagine when BA senior echelons were somewhat posher / more elitist, it wasnt considered to fit with the Concorde brand.
SxMan, WSTC and Genius1 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Acronym Wiki is here FYI

BA Forum Glossary
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: GGL
There is also a satisfying fit with JCR, MCR, and SCR.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

It would be best if we all stuck with the full description rather than acronyms, IMHO FWIW.
When it comes to successfully using and understanding acronyms, YMMV
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by TTmex
When it comes to successfully using and understanding acronyms, YMMV
Which for some reason I always read as you make me vomit. I think its because when I first saw the acronym many years ago and looked it up on the internet that was the first explanation that I saw.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by golfmad
Which for some reason I always read as you make me vomit. I think its because when I first saw the acronym many years ago and looked it up on the internet that was the first explanation that I saw.
Perhaps in the Club World catering thread that's what it means
SxMan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.