extracting cash from eVoucher

Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
extracting cash from eVoucher

Sage FTers can you help? I have an eVoucher that I am unlikely to use with BA before September next year (mostly due to their ridiculous pricing and I've changed jobs and I'm not flying much anymore). I have asked but BA won't refund it as they say I cancelled the flight (I'm sure I didn't and the flight didn't go ahead as it was USA in May 2020, but I can't prove that). If I use said voucher for a fully refundable ticket and then cancel will I get my cash back? I could then book the holiday I want elsewhere at half the price BA want. Many thanks as always.

Last edited by docdee; Aug 23, 2022 at 6:37 am
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is there no one in your immediate family or friends who might look at booking something for travel with BA between now and September 2023? evouchers are not tied to the voucher holder and you can use them for anyone.
DelTroon and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by docdee
Sage FTers can you help? I have an eVoucher that I am unlikely to use with BA before September next year (mostly due to their ridiculous pricing and I've changed jobs and I'm not flying much anymore). I have asked but BA won't refund it as they say I cancelled the flight (I'm sure I didn't and the flight go ahead as it was USA in May 2020, but I can't prove that). If I use said voucher for a fully refundable ticket and then cancel will I get my cash back? I could then book the holiday I want elsewhere at half the price BA want. Many thanks as always.
I would doubt it, if you cancel the new flight the credit will revert to the original payment method, i.e. the eVoucher. It would be great if we could, I am sure a lot of us have vouchers which we will struggle to use.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:11 am

If as KARFA says evouchers are not tied to a specific person, wouldn't one be able to sell them round here for slightly less than their value?

​​​​​​
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:47 am

You are not allowed to sell evouchers.

I chose my words carefully above

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 23, 2022 at 8:00 am
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
What happens to unused eVouchers after Sept.2023? Are they automatically re-issued? Can't find anything on the BA site regarding this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
What happens to unused eVouchers after Sept.2023? Are they automatically re-issued? Can't find anything on the BA site regarding this.
No plan yet. It's unclear whether they would be refunded, although I think some bodies like the EU have suggested they should be.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I'll just keep looking at BA holidays in that case in the hope that something comes up that isn't overpriced......
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by docdee
I'll just keep looking at BA holidays in that case in the hope that something comes up that isn't overpriced......
I can see prices coming down if the recession is as bad a s forecast
Old Aug 24, 2022, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
No plan yet. It's unclear whether they would be refunded, although I think some bodies like the EU have suggested they should be.

This would be most useful, we had LHR-LAX out Premium, back Club booked, just shy of 3K for the pair of us (which I know is a good price), but can't even get out and back in Premium for that next year, so another years grace, or even better our money back would be great. What do you think the chances are?
Old Aug 24, 2022, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Bantamboy
This would be most useful, we had LHR-LAX out Premium, back Club booked, just shy of 3K for the pair of us (which I know is a good price), but can't even get out and back in Premium for that next year, so another years grace, or even better our money back would be great. What do you think the chances are?
If you don't mind a bit of faff, book from DUB-LHR-LAX and it's likely you'll get next spring / early summer for both around 3k - Club both directions

Round trip to Los Angeles | Google Flights

In fact, you'd get a fair bit of change
Bantamboy likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If you don't mind a bit of faff, book from DUB-LHR-LAX and it's likely you'll get next spring / early summer for both around 3k - Club both directions

Round trip to Los Angeles | Google Flights

In fact, you'd get a fair bit of change

Thanks for the heads up, those are excellent prices. Been a while since I've done a Dublin hop as Mrs B hates flying, are they still OK with you asking to get bags tagged to LHR on the return?
Old Aug 24, 2022, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Bantamboy checking bags? Crazy talk
Old Aug 24, 2022, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Bantamboy checking bags? Crazy talk

Did you see me mention Mrs B??
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k - UA Premier Gold - AA Platinum Pro
In the same boat here, but with a $1225 eVoucher that I don't plan on using.. I would even take $900 - $1000 for it!

If they aren't tied to a specific name, theoretically, it can be sold?

Has anyone tried a site like Spare Fare or something similar?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.