When you finally hit gold... what then?

Old Aug 23, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by danmushman
which long haul routes for 30k avios? (or did you mean Y?)

Some confusion perhaps. I think TTmex’s figures relate to earning levels on (cash) long-hauls …… whereas you are referring (?) to redemption requirements.

EDIT - I’m a couple of mins late !
TTmex and danmushman like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by subject2load
Yes, fairly accurate observations I’d say. Though of course not necessarily an ‘either-or’ scenario.

One of the key attractions of BAEC Gold is maximising its OW Emerald equivalence, and the wider benefits that come with it across the alliance overall. This leaves status-holders free if they wish (and based on their priorities and experience) to follow both of the options you outline. They’re not always mutually exclusive
Indeed.
I suspect I've flown BA more over the years than many of the complaining Goldies on here ever have.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
deleted
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TTmex
Bonus Avios is the biggest for me. Just enjoy being gold and using the perks. Don't expect people to make a big fuss over you. I have had a couple of gold welcomes on BA and a couple of thanks for your loyalty on AA before now, but I don't expect it. What I do enjoy is waiting to cash in 30k+ Avios on a long haul J or 40k on a double long haul trip in PE that cost a little over 1k usd.
We have a winner.
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by John M
Hi all
Thanks for all the knowledge on here!

So, just a small question. What do you do when you hit gold, but your tier point renewal date is like 3 months away? Getting more tier points until you renew is a waste then, isnt it?

Thanks
John
It's really depending. If you have flights coming up and you reached gold with the 1500 limit (not the reduced one) then "only" 1000 more TP and you get the very useful GUF2. Then at 3500 you are getting 2xGUF1. at 5000 you become GGL. All is "achievable" really depending how is your flight schedule looks like in the next few months. 2x long haul business class with Qatar connecting via DOH somewhere longer than 2000 miles would give you 1120 tier point... That's not a lot of flying....
However most people who hit "only" gold in 9 months most likely they will have only a few flights anyway left so those TP will just go to your lifetime balance. However most Gold at this stage would start thinking how to renew for next year...
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Enjoying the First Wing? Well to enjoy that solely through the Gold status would mean doing it on an Economy ticket? It would seem to swap one perk (that of flying above economy) to enjoy another that you would have anyway?
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Enjoying the First Wing? Well to enjoy that solely through the Gold status would mean doing it on an Economy ticket? It would seem to swap one perk (that of flying above economy) to enjoy another that you would have anyway?
Economy, Premium Economy or Club - it's only open to non-Golds travelling in First.
Krisz, babyg_wc and TTmex like this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines
As a newbie to Gold status (thanks to all on FT for their wisdom and advice) I will be seeing what benefits it brings over and above Silver (from the posts above the view seems to be not many). I will not set the bar too high so that I am not disappointed, but look forward to FW and First lounge access and the double Avios. I'm flying into USA soon so will wait to see if there is any difference in how it is viewed there.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by higham44
As a newbie to Gold status (thanks to all on FT for their wisdom and advice) I will be seeing what benefits it brings over and above Silver (from the posts above the view seems to be not many). I will not set the bar too high so that I am not disappointed, but look forward to FW and First lounge access and the double Avios. I'm flying into USA soon so will wait to see if there is any difference in how it is viewed there.
Don't expect anything in the US other than your expected benefits. Status is all about entitlement to this and that in the US, unless you're a GGL - some have reported CK treatment in past - you'll just get access to your typical benefits. You do get preferential treatment for Irrops which can be handy.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
When you finally hit gold... what then?

ISTR you also get loads of emails telling you how to spend more money with BA, BAH and High Life Shop
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines
Smile

Originally Posted by TTmex
Don't expect anything in the US other than your expected benefits. Status is all about entitlement to this and that in the US, unless you're a GGL - some have reported CK treatment in past - you'll just get access to your typical benefits. You do get preferential treatment for Irrops which can be handy.
I never 'expect', but if something comes along (IRROPS) then I will accept it gladly with a smile.
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by The_Editor
Economy, Premium Economy or Club - it's only open to non-Golds travelling in First.
Am I mixing my Gatwicks with my Heathrows then?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.