Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Water and crisps or water and crisps….

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
I’m sure we got water and a cereal bar once…..
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Karen Jackson
I’m sure we got water and a cereal bar once…..
Correct, it was referred to as a “light continental breakfast” on the PA
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Misco60
We were delayed for almost four hours after boarding at LHR yesterday. Passengers were very patient on the whole, but became rather less so when they discovered that there was no food available for purchase and that all they would be getting once we were airborne was a bottle of water and tiny packet of crisps.
Same on my latest flight. WiFi was working, but not possible to order food/drinks. Went to galley to inquire and was told that they simply don't have anything to sell. Got extra pack of crisps though
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
If they have stock I’m sure they can sell it without WiFi, although I’ve never been on a plane in economy when the wifi is down I did ask at the galley when coming back from the toilets and they could sell me items without needing me to request them first. Another time there was a great crew who (after giving me a gold greeting and getting me some champagne from CE) when I requested a G&T using the WiFi asked whether I wanted a free one from the CE bar or did I want to buy the specific brand on the BoB menu.
bibbju likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:06 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by SaveECRewards
If they have stock I’m sure they can sell it without WiFi
This is incorrect i’m afraid.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:41 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by copenhagenBA
Very much a 1st world problem but flew in today on old 319 with no wifi… Not the first time its happened either, crew rush round with water and crisps and thats it, service over. Couldnt order any food, as no wifi or menu in seat pocket. Not exactly maximimising BA revenue.
[Yorkshire accent]
Crisps?

You were lucky!

On last flight I took it were nowt but a scraping o' pretzels
[/Yorkshire accent]

A 14g bag to be precise. Reduced salt ones at that, NCE-LGW. Crisps would have been a luxury and nuts were strictly verboten due to a passenger with a severe allergy.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I always hope there will be something different when they announce it as 'bottle of water and a snack'.

The use of the word 'snack' implies it could change.

But alas, it is always the crisps, and always the lightly salted flavour.
When flights first started up again after the pandemic suspension, the crisps served as the light snack were often Tyrrells mature cheddar & chive which are quite acceptable.

I have more Kellogg Strawberry Nutri Grain bars uneaten than I know what to do with though. Perhaps I'll hang onto them just in case there's another lockdown and I need to do this
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I always hope there will be something different when they announce it as 'bottle of water and a snack'.

The use of the word 'snack' implies it could change.

I seem to remember on some flights in Y (long haul or short haul?) they used to hand around a basket with said snack: there was a choice. I’m trying to remember what they called that basket.. it had a funny name I thought … or irritating .. like the word ‘offer’ (much over used these days)… “in our offer”
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very much a 1st world problem
Indeed....this forum never fails.
flybymonkey likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I seem to remember on some flights in Y (long haul or short haul?) they used to hand around a basket with said snack: there was a choice. I’m trying to remember what they called that basket.. it had a funny name I thought … or irritating .. like the word ‘offer’ (much over used these days)… “in our offer”
Gosh I remember that now on short haul. it was like a lucky dip, with those lush Thai spice snacks, or crisps or shortbread and other delights all.wrapped up with free drinkies, often two or three miniatures at the same time. Changed days indeed. Will never be the same ever and perhaps blessed that managed to travel and enjoy status during better times.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nivsy
Gosh I remember that now on short haul. it was like a lucky dip, with those lush Thai spice snacks, or crisps or shortbread and other delights all.wrapped up with free drinkies, often two or three miniatures at the same time. Changed days indeed. Will never be the same ever and perhaps blessed that managed to travel and enjoy status during better times.
Anyone else remember those horrible little bags of ‘bird seed’ given out as the snack in the final days of the free catering? The Tyrell’s crisps are an improvement!
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
Originally Posted by Can I help you
If there is Wi-Fi available that’s how you order so no trolley, if there is no Wi-Fi they should take the trolley out, on the very shortest flights there is only preorder available so you cannot order anything.
that’s what i was expecting, so didnt say anything and then with 40minutes to go, just gave up without ringing a call bell. Was a 1hr40minute flight. Just find it startling that every carrier sells wine, beer, food, to try and bring in revenue and then there’s BA who love a strike, doing the least of any airline and its not the first time this has happened.
JD1905 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
that’s what i was expecting, so didnt say anything and then with 40minutes to go, just gave up without ringing a call bell. Was a 1hr40minute flight. Just find it startling that every carrier sells wine, beer, food, to try and bring in revenue and then there’s BA who love a strike, doing the least of any airline and its not the first time this has happened.
you are lucky you were on a 1h40 minutes flight. Imagine those poor passengers traveling to Cairo or Amman getting a pack of crisps and water. A bit outrageous!
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:11 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Keep self deprecating by discounting legitimate complaints as "First world problems" and we will find ourselves living in third world conditions sooner or later.
At least many legacy carriers from so called Third World countries still continue to offer acceptable meals and drinks in short-haul Y

PS. Do do not bash me - I know - different market realities, salary levels, low cost carrier penetration etc. etc. - but still....
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by JD1905
This is incorrect i’m afraid.
How so? A trolley has been mentioned as a fallback when WiFi isn't working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.