Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

BAs Premium Economy soft product losing its competitive edge

BAs Premium Economy soft product losing its competitive edge

Old Aug 17, 22, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Arrow BAs Premium Economy soft product losing its competitive edge

BA World Traveller Plus is not worth the money compared to other carriers but like any brand loyalty, some passengers feel a sense of superiority by virtue of paying the extra money to sit in this cabin but a kitkat as a meal option sums things up. Or maybe the BA market research has told them that their WTP passengers want to be served kitkats.

Virgin offers a fairly decent Premium Economy service - especially a decent afternoon tea and mid flight hot snack on longer West coast flights - which I do pay for but otherwise I would pay for BA Club World.
Sealink, haroon145, SxMan and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 2:31 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Door5L View Post
BA World Traveller Plus is not worth the money compared to other carriers but like any brand loyalty, some passengers feel a sense of superiority by virtue of paying the extra money to sit in this cabin but a kitkat as a meal option sums things up. Or maybe the BA market research has told them that their WTP passengers want to be served kitkats.
The way I see it is that I pay the extra +100-120GBP for WTP mainly fot that 7-8 of extra leg room space and on a flight where it makes sense (8+ hours). And partially that extra +55 TP for WTP ticket each way.
I really do not care much about the food because if I do then it would never make a sense to pay the extra +1000 pounds for the club world ticket anyway and if you are not flying in J with Qatar/Emirates the food will be roughly the same.
Really the only thing that bothers me is the movie IFE content on BA, but that is the same for CW/CS ticket as well.
Beergander and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 4:34 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Originally Posted by casey89 View Post
The way I see it is that I pay the extra +100-120GBP for WTP
Its almost impossible to find a fare where the difference between WT and WT+ is as low as 100 unless WT price is very high. I have found BA WT+ quite expensive most of the times and sometimes the same price other airlines are asking for business! For example I am looking to fly to So Paulo this November. BA is 1.252 for PE while Air France is 1.380 in business.
haroon145, SxMan, rt23456p and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by ermis177 View Post
Its almost impossible to find a fare where the difference between WT and WT+ is as low as 100 unless WT price is very high. I have found BA WT+ quite expensive most of the times and sometimes the same price other airlines are asking for business! For example I am looking to fly to So Paulo this November. BA is 1.252 for PE while Air France is 1.380 in business.
Yeah I give you that, you are correct. I was lucky couple of times to have the difference just above 100GBP but I had fixed dates and the WT fare was probably higher.
The difference is usually between 200-250 GBP for RT ticket and for that it is not worth it with current services on board.

On the other hand with AF you never know if you really gonny fly (because od CDG)
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 5:53 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Door5L View Post

Virgin offers a fairly decent Premium Economy service - especially a decent afternoon tea and mid flight hot snack on longer West coast flights - which I do pay for but otherwise I would pay for BA Club World.
Premium Economy is like that confused middle child with different airlines taking different approaches i.e some airlines with little to no differentiation to Y other than the hard product, meals better on some airlines than other, WTP on BA tend to be on the el cheapo side however

in terms of industry benchmark in my opinion Virgin Australia pre-bankruptcy / pandemic on the 77W was definitely the gold standard

- Tablecloths laid out
- Appetiser/Mains/Dessert served separately in courses
- Mains plated on-board
- Dedicated FA

It helps comparing against the gold standard as a wake up call just to realise how cheap BA has gone on their WTP cabin (though this seems to be the general trend lately even with the likes of SQ, CX etc)

one can only dream of soup ever being served in WTP lol

boss315, T8191, mikeyfly and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
Originally Posted by nomadabroad View Post
Premium Economy is like that confused middle child with different airlines taking different approaches i.e some airlines with little to no differentiation to Y other than the hard product, meals better on some airlines than other, WTP on BA tend to be on the el cheapo side however

in terms of industry benchmark in my opinion Virgin Australia pre-bankruptcy / pandemic on the 77W was definitely the gold standard

- Tablecloths laid out
- Mains plated on-board
- Dedicated FA

It helps comparing against the gold standard as a wake up call just to realise how cheap BA has gone on their WTP cabin (though this seems to be the general trend lately even with the likes of SQ, CX etc)

one can only dream of soup ever being served in WTP lol
I have found Virgin to be substantially more expensive than BA for premium economy. While I want PE, I'm not prepared to triple the fare from economy to do it.
lsquare and casey89 like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer View Post
I have found Virgin to be substantially more expensive than BA for premium economy. While I want PE, I'm not prepared to triple the fare from economy to do it.
Virgin Australia not Virgin Atlantic
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
Virgin Australia not Virgin Atlantic
Ah. I've yet to have the pleasure of Virgin Australia.
Old Aug 18, 22, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Bronze, SQ KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by USA_flyer View Post
Ah. I've yet to have the pleasure of Virgin Australia.
Sadly you missed out as they no longer have Premium Economy or a longhaul fleet.
becks1, SxMan and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 8:38 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Virgin Atlantic has removed one of its key differentiators by reducing seat width from 21" down to the pretty standard 18.5" on the A350. If you're on the A350, the only advantage is basically better food.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 8:44 am

- Tablecloths laid out
- Mains plated on-board
- Dedicated FA
Damn. Then only difference to Business is the hard product with Virgin Australia, but I guess the price for that PE fare was around some business fares at western airlines?

The hard product on BA in PE is not that bad i would say (in all A351 and the refurbished ones B77W/B772 is actually very good). The soft product have a huge space for improvement though.
Old Aug 18, 22, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by casey89 View Post
Damn. Then only difference to Business is the hard product with Virgin Australia, but I guess the price for that PE fare was around some business fares at western airlines?

The hard product on BA in PE is not that bad i would say (in all A351 and the refurbished ones B77W/B772 is actually very good). The soft product have a huge space for improvement though.
yes indeed for VA the main disadvantage of having such an elevated catering for Y+ means the gap in catering between Y+ and J was barely noticeable (with the seat being the key differentiator)

I posted on another thread too that EK have gone the elevated path for their Y+ catering as well which looks above par of what is currently on offer by SQ, CX, etc. See pics below.

For SQ/CX you basically get Y catering plated in a slightly nicer container but quality wise not much different than Y which is disappointing

Old Aug 18, 22, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.
for me the best way to think about any flight you purchase is only consider the hard product & Schedule.

Food, drink, service etc is just a bonus.

Maybe thats years of flying BA that have conditioned me that way :-)
rt23456p and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 8:55 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I'd happily pay 250RT over Y for the width, legroom and no fighting over armrests alone. So news about the A350 being a lot narrower is not what I want to hear!

I'm actually hoping that EKs new offering might prompt a bit of a refresh of the product. Whilst with BA I tend to buy it with a view to UUA, I'd like to be comfortable enough when that doesn't work...
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ermis177 View Post
I have found BA WT+ quite expensive most of the times and sometimes the same price other airlines are asking for business! For example I am looking to fly to So Paulo this November. BA is 1.252 for PE while Air France is 1.380 in business.
Book AF asap would be my advice!!
choosethedrew, bafan and BA850 like this.

Search this Thread