Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA’s Premium Economy soft product losing its competitive edge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA’s Premium Economy soft product losing its competitive edge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Look I’m normally one of the first to have a go at the Club Suite…….but I think you’re stretching things a bit. There’s a whole extra six inches of seat pitch in The Suite to WTP 44 vs 38 inches. In Club World the seat pitch is 72 inches that’s a nearly double increase on WTP. Of the three, I know which one I’d rather sit in and it’s not one with a low seat pitch.
I really enjoy flying in general, and doing so in business or first is lots of fun. But I can see the reasoning behind saying that with essentially infitine space ahead of you, and a good service, if you don't need a flat bed, then a WTP seat might be fine. The sad thing is, BA barely differentiates between WT and WTP and if you offered me a WT window seat versus any non-window seat in WTP, I would prefer the former. This would not be true on an airline which really puts extra effort into its premium economy offering.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by _nate
I really enjoy flying in general, and doing so in business or first is lots of fun. But I can see the reasoning behind saying that with essentially infitine space ahead of you, and a good service, if you don't need a flat bed, then a WTP seat might be fine. The sad thing is, BA barely differentiates between WT and WTP and if you offered me a WT window seat versus any non-window seat in WTP, I would prefer the former. This would not be true on an airline which really puts extra effort into its premium economy offering.
Yeah it’s been a while since I did a bulkhead seat in WTP. Trouble is I sleep on flights so I want maximum seat pitch and a flat bed.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Its still better than Y, especially if you can have it for 50% or less over a Y fare.
Doors Closing likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I just flew LHR-IAD, my first PE in a long time. My verdict: meh.

Meal was OK, better than Y I thought. Pre arrival snack (chicken pastry) was fair. I appreciated the legroom, but shoulder room wasn't noticeably better than Y (on A380). I found the actual seat quite uncomfortable on my back. I liked the pillow/amenity kit/headphones.

Crew very mixed -- one was lovely, the other pretty grim and uncommunicative. I was in the last row, and apparently tey cater exactly, so I had no choice. Fortunateluy I got what I wanted, but she just plunked it down without even acknowledging the lack of choice.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Did WT+ ever have a "competitive edge"? I know it's always been a very successful cabin for BA but I;'ll admit that I have never ever liked it and if I can't get J on a trip, will usually go for Y and save my money unless the difference is ridiculously small...
same approach here. Last cabin crew I spoke with was ashamed what they need to serve in PE and he said ‘I would never pay for this’.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Duck1981
same approach here. Last cabin crew I spoke with was ashamed what they need to serve in PE and he said ‘I would never pay for this’.
Just keep knocking the Scotch back and the food quality becomes less relevant - bit like a kebab after an "all nighter"
Old Aug 21, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I can't survive in Y especially for an overnight flight. So if I can't go in CW then WTP it is for me - I generally find it comfortable and can get some sleep, which I struggle to do so in a WT cabin.

But yes, the soft product can be a little hit and miss, but if it's an overnight trip, I'm generally not too concerned as I'll be resting most of the time.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Its still better than Y, especially if you can have it for 50% or less over a Y fare.
That would be the magic formula, and surely W is always a better cabin, compared with Y.

What actually lacks in the BA W config, is the W-dedicated lavatory! EK has 2 (although for 56 pax in W), and on past flights with both AC and SU the W cabin had a single dedicated lavatory, which seemed perfect. Going back to Y for the never ending lavatory queue is verily BA's weakest W feature...
lall likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Guys I know this is definitely not the correct thread and I am sorry about that but it has been bugging me ever since.
There is this common knowledge (or how to phrase it) that C is a business fare, W is PE and Y is a full fare economy. But my last flight in business class was named J fare. In PE with british airways it was T and so on so on. So the C/W/Y fares are the most common amongs airlines and thus it is used frequentely or is this different logic?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by casey89
Guys I know this is definitely not the correct thread and I am sorry about that but it has been bugging me ever since.
There is this common knowledge (or how to phrase it) that C is a business fare, W is PE and Y is a full fare economy. But my last flight in business class was named J fare. In PE with british airways it was T and so on so on. So the C/W/Y fares are the most common amongs airlines and thus it is used frequentely or is this different logic?
Booking classes are confusing since they do vary so much between airline. Aer Lingus, which has no premium economy and only a very limited shorthaul business class, has 18 booking classes. There is also a confusion with different airline using the same letter to mean different things. C is often used by J is correct. The general rule is
F = Flexible First
J - Flexible CW / CE / business
W= Flexible WTP / premium economy
Y = Flexible WT / ET / economy / coach
WTP has W, E and T in it, T being ethe cheapest. On AA it's P (inflexible) and W (flexible). Finnair is W, E, T and P! Then P is the low-cost business class on Qatar...... The online BA Avios/TP calculator is a good way to try and makes sense of this.

Don't be scared to start your own thread, it makes it easier to find or search for in the future. It also makes it awkward to reply to off topic items since it looks like I'm taking the thread even more off topic. Mods will consolidate if that is seinsible.
lsquare, rockflyertalk and casey89 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The general rule is
F = Flexible First
J - Flexible CW / CE / business
W= Flexible WTP / premium economy
Y = Flexible WT / ET / economy / coach
WTP has W, E and T in it, T being ethe cheapest. On AA it's P (inflexible) and W (flexible). Finnair is W, E, T and P! Then P is the low-cost business class on Qatar...... The online BA Avios/TP calculator is a good way to try and makes sense of this.
thanks a lot for that. I thought it is something like that, but never seen such a clear table. Thanks CWS
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:28 am

I came off BA226 (ATL-LHR) in WTP last week.

I haven't flown it for ages so can't remember what one should expect in terms of service; however:
No PDB
No menus
Meal options you either had to guess or ask to be told (just feels weird them asking you, "What would you like?" when you can't possibly know)
Food was economy style. My partner said her veg meal was nicer than the veg meal in CW on the way out, though.
When asked what we wanted to drink with our meal they seemed taken aback when the first two rows asked for things like white wine or G&T. This caused them to stop service and go and get a pen and paper to take drinks orders. From what I could gather, they genuinely thought people were going to order OJs or waters with their evening meals.
The meal was essentially finished by the time the G&Ts came around, and we were just given the bottles and tonic. No glass, ice or lemon. So we just used the wine glasses on the tray (the ones they assumed we were going to pour OJ into 15 mins earlier?)

I skipped breakfast and asked for a cup of tea. What I got was an espresso sized cup. I'm not joking, it was about 1/3 the size of a small starbucks cup.

I'm really not a me me me service snob and it takes a lot for me to moan generally. I paid for the better seat when compared to WT and the seat is what I got. You actually get a mini amenity kit and a somewhat decent blanket and pillow. However, the service element is just embarrassing and the obvious cost cutting is laughable.
ibbitsc, ermis177 and Loungeabout like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Absolutely. I have a TATL to Denver lined-up in February and W vs. Y was GBP215 round-trip more (roughly a 35% premium). For this I get much more space, many more TPs and a few more Avios, plus the potential to upgrade to CW if availability comes up. At that price it's a no-brainer for me.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:56 am

To be fair, when I booked a return to YUL - the WTP fare was only £70 above the WT fare on the inbound leg.

I’ve also found on plenty of dummy bookings over the years a very cheap fare difference on the inbound is usually the case from North America, and it makes so much sense to go for it on those overnight flights.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE. KLM PE.
Originally Posted by Door5L
BA World Traveller Plus is not worth the money compared to other carriers but like any brand loyalty, some passengers feel a sense of superiority by virtue of paying the extra money to sit in this cabin but a kitkat as a meal option sums things up. Or maybe the BA market research has told them that their WTP passengers want to be served kitkats.

Virgin offers a fairly decent Premium Economy service - especially a decent afternoon tea and mid flight hot snack on longer West coast flights - which I do pay for but otherwise I would pay for BA Club World.
Since when did BA ever have an edge on premium economy ? EVA Air started this back in the 90s. BA has never come close to dozens of other airlines who know how to make premium economy PREMIUM.
ermis177 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.