Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA’s Premium Economy soft product losing its competitive edge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA’s Premium Economy soft product losing its competitive edge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:43 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by nomadabroad
Premium Economy is like that confused middle child with different airlines taking different approaches i.e some airlines with little to no differentiation to Y other than the hard product, meals better on some airlines than other, WTP on BA tend to be on the el cheapo side however

in terms of industry benchmark in my opinion Virgin Australia pre-bankruptcy / pandemic on the 77W was definitely the gold standard

- Tablecloths laid out
- Appetiser/Mains/Dessert served separately in courses
- Mains plated on-board
- Dedicated FA

It helps comparing against the gold standard as a wake up call just to realise how cheap BA has gone on their WTP cabin (though this seems to be the general trend lately even with the likes of SQ, CX etc)

one can only dream of soup ever being served in WTP lol

TG used to have full lie-flat PE on their 77W to CPH and ARN
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_DK/of...e_summer.page?

yes indeed for VA the main disadvantage of having such an elevated catering for Y+ means the gap in catering between Y+ and J was barely noticeable (with the seat being the key differentiator)

I posted on another thread too that EK have gone the elevated path for their Y+ catering as well which looks above par of what is currently on offer by SQ, CX, etc. See pics below.

For SQ/CX you basically get Y catering plated in a slightly nicer container but quality wise not much different than Y which is disappointing

I am sure there are lots of garbage J catering and good Y catering at the same time, therefore, I think that the catering level measuring using class is unreliable.

Originally Posted by ratechaser
I'd happily pay £250RT over Y for the width, legroom and no fighting over armrests alone. So news about the A350 being a lot narrower is not what I want to hear!

I'm actually hoping that EKs new offering might prompt a bit of a refresh of the product. Whilst with BA I tend to buy it with a view to UUA, I'd like to be comfortable enough when that doesn't work...
How's EK's PY seat?

Originally Posted by wb1969

Whatever happened to the 'world's favourite airline'?
American calling themselves the best alcohol onboard, BA calling themselves world's favourite airline. What a laugh of the two!
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Whereas BA at LHR is soooo reliable
Fair enough. Considering they cancelled two of my connecting flights in the past couple of months it as as much "reliable" as AF on CDG. It is actually even worse because the reason for cancellation is usually their rubbish IT system (if we leave out the madness during this particular summer).
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rt23456p
American calling themselves the best alcohol onboard
I mean sure it is not like with EK when you have onboard bar or the cocktails in the QR, but the drinks selection (alcoholic/non-alcoholic) onboard AA is pretty good IMHO or at least I wasn't missing anything (except not mean and/or arrogant steward, but that is something you count with when flying with AA).
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:10 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by casey89
I mean sure it is not like with EK when you have onboard bar or the cocktails in the QR, but the drinks selection (alcoholic/non-alcoholic) onboard AA is pretty good IMHO or at least I wasn't missing anything (except not mean and/or arrogant steward, but that is something you count with when flying with AA).
But from the retail price of the champagne price served obard AA and also BA F, it is far from the world's best alchohalic selection.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by HIDDY
We're to blame...is the simple answer.
If this is the case why does Iberia have better lounges, all-aisle access J and massively better food, it’s all part of the same company which has been cruelly forced into a failing strategy by over-entitled ‘cake and eat it’ customers?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I just treat BA PE as a bigger seat that gives me a greater number of tier points over economy., and an Avios bonus

Expect nothing (spectacular) food wise, crew wise (but that goes for all cabins), and practically zero change of an upgrade (which is a reason why some do choose it).

If the price isn't too much of a premium, then it works
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
yes indeed for VA the main disadvantage of having such an elevated catering for Y+ means the gap in catering between Y+ and J was barely noticeable (with the seat being the key differentiator)

I posted on another thread too that EK have gone the elevated path for their Y+ catering as well which looks above par of what is currently on offer by SQ, CX, etc. See pics below.

For SQ/CX you basically get Y catering plated in a slightly nicer container but quality wise not much different than Y which is disappointing

That does look amazing. Fresh, colourful, prepared with care and even perky! Everything seems so fresh it's reaching upwards.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
I just treat BA PE as a bigger seat that gives me a greater number of tier points over economy., and an Avios bonus

Expect nothing (spectacular) food wise, crew wise (but that goes for all cabins), and practically zero change of an upgrade (which is a reason why some do choose it).

Yes - flew 9 hours in PE last month on a day flight in a 787 Dreamliner. For me it's the larger seat ( I really don't fit too well in a Y seat for 9 hours - I'm just too tall). That's the main thing for me and PE / WT+ provides that. The 787 was clean with new equipment and was actually a very very nice place to be. We had taken some snacks and treats on board and so, combined with the food served (which was actually pretty good), then we were more than happy.
lsquare and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:15 am

This looks better than the single-tray BA Club World service.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:49 am

Other than the packaged cheeses, the main meal on Emirates' premium economy is even better than the current Club World offering on BA's transatlantic flight. That appetizer salad looks better in both quality and quantity.

Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Flew in WTP to MCO from LHR and back a few weeks ago.

It was a 4 Class 777 and we had the "Front Row" of WTP to ourselves so no one reclines on you and there was loads of legroom and width as we had four seats to stretch out over.

Looking through the curtain to Club they were lined up like sardines in a tin with minimal extra room for the premium paid..

Even the Exit Seats in WT looked a better bet - acres of legroom even more than us in WTP
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Butts

It was a 4 Class 777 and we had the "Front Row" of WTP to ourselves so no one reclines on you and there was loads of legroom and width as we had four seats to stretch out over.

Looking through the curtain to Club they were lined up like sardines in a tin with minimal extra room for the premium paid..

Even the Exit Seats in WT looked a better bet - acres of legroom even more than us in WTP
I know Club gets it's fair share of detractors but blukhead WT or WT+ seat being superior is a stretch surely? regardless of the relative £ per sq inch cost of onboard real estate.
lsquare, ermis177 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
If this is the case why does Iberia have better lounges, all-aisle access J and massively better food, it’s all part of the same company which has been cruelly forced into a failing strategy by over-entitled ‘cake and eat it’ customers?
I paid for WT+ for my wife and daughter because I arranged a fiscally responsible routing ie one additional stop that irritated her and I felt guilty and sure enough they received an upgrade on the 380 to Business between LHR and DFW.

On the return my wife and daughter and myself and my other kids on different booking references because we flew separately but returning together in economy...I had to change plans at the last moment...rest of the family flew and I suppose based on my silver status, the boys were upgraded to WT+ on one of the legs, even without me..perhaps that was a timing thing as I expected that the be changed because I was not flying.

Upgrade to business from WT+ is a lovely surprised...short story is...I have never myself been upgraded...perhaps my time is coming.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Certainly expect nothing - low expectations rearely brings disappointment (!) - but reagrding upgrades, I've probably had more WT+ to CW than WT to WT+ (one memorable month when I had 3 consecutive WT+ to CW upgrades - with a ET-CE upgrade inbetween).
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Butts

Look I’m normally one of the first to have a go at the Club Suite…….but I think you’re stretching things a bit. There’s a whole extra six inches of seat pitch in The Suite to WTP 44 vs 38 inches. In Club World the seat pitch is 72 inches that’s a nearly double increase on WTP. Of the three, I know which one I’d rather sit in and it’s not one with a low seat pitch.
NoY, LucyK1806 and becks1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.