Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Much difference between J and F these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Looking at flights to ORD from LHR this autumn, and wondering whether I should pay the extra for an F seat. It seems to be the A380 outbound, and 787 inbound flights that suit my times best.

The extra amount of cash isn’t huge on the dates I’m looking at, and apart from the extra Avios, do those more frequent fliers than myself think there’s much of a difference between the classes these days.

thank you.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:04 am

Big difference between J and F if you're flying those 2 aircraft, with the old-style club world seats (no aisle access, facing another passenger, etc.)
becks1 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
More space.
Slightly better food at present.
More personal service due to higher crew:Passenger ratio.

Last edited by camdentown; Aug 18, 2022 at 1:45 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
First is back to pre-pandemic service, Club World still has the pandemic single tray with no choice of starter or dessert and weak second meals on most flights.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I've somehow ended upgraded on every CS J flight I've had, but for non-CS J, one of the often overlooked differences is that storage space in F is minimal compared to J. F on the flights I have been on has seemed very tired. You get more room than J obviously and the food and service is better. F on an A380 is one of the better F's in my opinion (and there is no CS in A380 J so the difference is more profound). OTOH I've not been on an F flight that has disembarked through door 1 (F door) for a while, meaning in practice F is disembarking after half of J. Getting 2 A380 air bridges to work seems to be a challenge, let alone 3.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
First is back to pre-pandemic service, Club World still has the pandemic single tray with no choice of starter or dessert and weak second meals on most flights.
in other words it’s CW+ again

When BA can cater like this, they can again call it First Class. It’s ice cold vodka in the glass

Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a big difference on the ground at LHR with the first check in and security area and the Concorde room access.

I had a great flight in first LHR SJC recently and my seat looked much more spacious than the CW seats when I took a peek back behind the curtain.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Don't forget the Avios and TP's too!
Spanish and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
Looking at flights to ORD from LHR this autumn, and wondering whether I should pay the extra for an F seat. It seems to be the A380 outbound, and 787 inbound flights that suit my times best.

The extra amount of cash isn’t huge on the dates I’m looking at, and apart from the extra Avios, do those more frequent fliers than myself think there’s much of a difference between the classes these days.

thank you.
Am flying up front from ORD in 10 days. Picked the 787 flight as its the new 10 version with the doors. I now pick services with a higher chance of a newer first product. I have been on the new CS as well and like it, although its hit and miss if you get it like New First is. Am not a fan of the all on one tray for me its just an ease of service ploy now in club. For those reasons I will look at first over J all of the time.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by binman
in other words it’s CW+ again

When BA can cater like this, they can again call it First Class. It’s ice cold vodka in the glass

I find caviar as a First-class product so cliché now, however a set of well cut sashimi would be most welcome in BA First.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
There is a big difference on the ground at LHR with the first check in and security area and the Concorde room access.

I had a great flight in first LHR SJC recently and my seat looked much more spacious than the CW seats when I took a peek back behind the curtain.
The optics look a little different if you’re Gold/GGL. Personally, I enjoy First but it’s not a massive jump in hard product over Club Suite, so it depends on your priorities. I’ve found the service anywhere from okay to great in First.
efincomputer, mikeyfly and abligh like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
There's a lot of difference at the moment, from my perspective, at least at the moment.

In Club, if you might get an old CW seat, you still have to step over the other person, you get served food on a single tray, the portion sizes are about equal with CE and there's no choice for starter or pudding. The second meal is just an economy-style snack. The service is less attentive, no hot towels etc.

Although First meals might not match rival flights, with BA it's almost identical to 2019 in terms of service and quality and, thus, better value for money if the extra cash isn't huge.
becks1 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Magnus77
Am flying up front from ORD in 10 days. Picked the 787 flight as its the new 10 version with the doors. I now pick services with a higher chance of a newer first product. I have been on the new CS as well and like it, although its hit and miss if you get it like New First is. Am not a fan of the all on one tray for me its just an ease of service ploy now in club. For those reasons I will look at first over J all of the time.
I thought F does not have doors, even on the 787-10? Would be curious to know if it does since I recent booked F on the -10 myself, although not until early next year.
gwreck likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I thought F does not have doors, even on the 787-10? Would be curious to know if it does since I recent booked F on the -10 myself, although not until early next year.
F has doors on the 781 and on one specific version of the 777. It doesn't currently have doors on any other version.

CS is nice but people should remember that it is never guaranteed except (bar exceptions) on JFK flights as those booked to AUS have recently been painfully reminded.

I'm flying J next month, "Old" CW both ways, still pre-winter improvement catering, 787 not-so-great cabins (788 and 789) and including on ultra long haul (SCL, BA's longest nonstop route). It will be perfectly adequate and comfortable and fine (managed to get one of the last available windows) but I can't pretend it is a trip I am expecting wonderful luxury from. By contrast, flying F a few weeks later, including 781 one of the two ways, and this time, it is actual flights I am genuinely looking forward to, notwithstanding what others understandably say about how it compares with a number of other airlines.

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 18, 2022 at 5:59 am
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
F has doors on the 781 and on one specific version of the 777. It doesn't currently have doors on any other version.
Are you sure? Every image and video I've seen on the 787-10 first shows no door. The Godsavethepoints article even explicitly said no doors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.