Self upgrader meets their match

Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Self upgrader meets their match

Today's flight did make me laugh so I will share my experience! I shall not divulge the flight in question, but those on board will likely know who I am!

Boarded nearly 3 hours late and sat in the last row of Club Europe on a medium-ish hop across Europe. I booked last night on Avios so only the last row, 8/8 remained free.

"Boarding complete" is announced and we all settle back to our 3 hour hop. It is tranquil. But then... from the row behind a passenger decides to jump into the seat in front that just happens to be in front of the curtain. He is now in Club. I notice. I message friends. They notice. The passengers in row 7 notice. Their disgust is in the air. Cabin Crew on the other hand... they do not.

Take off is 'sporty' and meal service commences. IFL comes to me; "Row 8, where we are never late; let me take your order now so you're not forgotten <name>. Welcome back as a gold member". The lead CC then asks to see 8C's boarding pass (self upgrader) and says; "You are aware this is 8C, Business Class?". Customer nods and they walk off. Perhaps it was his seat after all; despite expert flyer showing it as empty and 9C being occupied (now empty!).

I am dutifully served first with both the meal and drinks when the trolley comes which, by the way, was fantastic! Pic attached of the chicken.

Our self upgrader in 8C however is given a tray with just a hot meal; no cutlery, no glass, no dessert. No napkin, no menu, nada. Just a tray with a plate of chicken. (All other pax were served by now). Confused he very much is. He therefore asks the cabin crew; "Where is the cutlery, the glass, the drink?". They look at each other, laugh even, then respond quietly and professionally directly so I could barely hear; "Oh, you need a Club Europe ticket for those! Why not sit back in your seat and we will provide you a bottle of water and a snack". Customer dutifully goes returns to the seat behind, 9C without needing any direction.

Did you think this story ends here?

About twenty minutes later, our self upgrader decides he will once again sit in his self upgraded seat! Thankfully the couple in front of me have the courage to tell him both where to go, and how (!), at which point the lead CC asks our self upgrader to come to the front of the galley. One member of the flight deck came out, and suffice to say our self upgrader then eventually returned to his seat for good with his stuff.

For good? Well. On landing said self upgrader was instructed to "remain seated whilst other passengers disembarked". I couldn't hang around with popcorn; but let that be a lesson in humility... theft is theft!
Markie, Tim_T, CO FF and 127 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I love how the cabin crew sorted out this situation. Well done BA.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze :(
JUSTICE!
wrldwide1 and TarquinMontague like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Seems to me to be an unnecessarily long-winded way of dealing with a self-upgrader. They could simply have insisted that he return to his assigned seat.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
I'd have been more amused if he's just tucked into the chicken without cutlery
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
So interestingly I also had self-upgrader experiences on both of my last two flights. I was in WT+ and, on the first flight, a passenger decided to move from the bulkhead row in WT to the last row in WT+ shortly after take off. The CC noticed, and he was sent back to WT.

On my second flight, I was again in WT+ which was only about half full. Rows 23 - 26 were all empty across the middle (so seats D- G in each row). I was keeping an eye on EF to make sure the seat next to me remained blocked (which it did) and the other rows all showed as empty. Passenger plonks himself in Row 23. After boarding is complete the In-Flight Manager comes along and asks to check his BP as she doesn't have any record of anyone in that seat. Chap says he can't find his BP but he was told to sit there by someone at the gate. The passenger did finally mention his original seat number but the passenger in that seat didn't have the same name as the passenger in WT+ so I really couldn't figure out what was going on. A fair bit of back and forth ensues but, ultimately, it seems as if the IFM just gives up and lets him remain there. He was in WT+ for the entire flight.

There were also two other passengers in Row 22 of WT+ who sat there for take off and who were then moved up to Club by cabin crew. I assume they were friends of the crew and the upgrade was approved and above board.
not2017, becks1 and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Gold, Starbucks Gold
I guess you can understand why some people would chance their arm... for the superior seat and legroom that CE offers over Y...
IAN-UK, renila, HNL1K and 36 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Misco60
Seems to me to be an unnecessarily long-winded way of dealing with a self-upgrader. They could simply have insisted that he return to his assigned seat.
and where is the fun left??? 😂
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
What a strange tale!

I can understand the chancer's behaviour might create a level of annoyance, but i don't understand how his actions generated disgust.

It seems he caused no inconvenience to the OP or others in the cabin: so quite why the couple seated ahead of the upgrader felt they had the authority to intervene is beyond me.

Taking the story at face value it seems pretty clear the cabin crew had the situation under control. That they chose to exercise that control in such an odd way is another puzzle.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Had 2 on a Dublin London flight the other day, CC noted the (for a change) sparsely populated Business cabin and asked the couple in row 4 for their boarding cards before pointing them in the direction of their actual seats in row...22.....

Pilot37
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by Misco60
One must possibly caution how often crew come across this, and, what they can realistically do in such a scenario. Was this their tenth time today?

They can't exactly whack out a card machine - like GWR last week when I bought the wrong seat frog upgrade for the service one minute later! - nor can they force the person back.

They had a bit of fun about it, and made the customer go back without directly telling him by just pointing out the service in Y - which - shows their first intentions.

I have the full support and put a suitably vague Golden Ticket in for the IFL.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Our self upgrader in 8C however is given a tray with just a hot meal; no cutlery, no glass, no dessert. No napkin, no menu, nada. Just a tray with a plate of chicken. (All other pax were served by now).
I'm just surprised there was a meal left!
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
In the days when we could charge credit cards for onboard upgrades I gave a self upgrader a slip for 500 to sign, you should of seen his face. 😇
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
What a strange tale!
I'm surprised everybody didn't cheer and applaud!
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, JX Insighter, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Can I help you
In the days when we could charge credit cards for onboard upgrades I gave a self upgrader a slip for 500 to sign, you should of seen his face. 😇
Did you then ask "can I help you?"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.