Self upgrader meets their match

Old Aug 18, 22, 6:05 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buckinghamshire
Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Posts: 2,230
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
Seems to me to be an unnecessarily long-winded way of dealing with a self-upgrader. They could simply have insisted that he return to his assigned seat.
Exactly! Iím surprised the hard working (and busy) crew had time to play such games! Iíve witnessed crew simply deposing pax twice from the Club cabin (both in Spain: Bilbao, Alicante) back to their rightful seats (as I watched from Y).
Dicksbits is offline  
Old Aug 18, 22, 7:33 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 5,655
Originally Posted by Dicksbits View Post
Exactly! I’m surprised the hard working (and busy) crew had time to play such games!
And wasted a hot meal in the process. (Presumably, once heated, they can't put it back for the usual "health and safety" argument.)
lsquare, Dicksbits and rt23456p like this.
carrotjuice is online now  
Old Aug 18, 22, 10:10 pm
  #93  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 13,206
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
And wasted a hot meal in the process. (Presumably, once heated, they can't put it back for the usual "health and safety" argument.)
There is the temperature rule that pretty much all food servers should know.
lsquare is online now  
Old Aug 19, 22, 1:12 am
  #94  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London
Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Posts: 436
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
And wasted a hot meal in the process. (Presumably, once heated, they can't put it back for the usual "health and safety" argument.)
How was the food wasted by doing this?

I was under the impression the crew heat all the outbound meals at once; so when they come down with the trolley you get your choice and voila. They don't take your order and heat each dish one by one... . Whether they leave the hot disk in the trolley and dispose of it, or put it in front of an upgrader - and then dispose it - doesn't change it has been heated and alas is for waste.
BorisBrownBear and Bluekjp like this.
ScienceTeacher is offline  
Old Aug 19, 22, 1:34 am
  #95  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 5,655
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher View Post
How was the food wasted by doing this?

I was under the impression the crew heat all the outbound meals at once; so when they come down with the trolley you get your choice and voila. They don't take your order and heat each dish one by one... . Whether they leave the hot disk in the trolley and dispose of it, or put it in front of an upgrader - and then dispose it - doesn't change it has been heated and alas is for waste.
Once it's served to someone, especially when the foil covering has been removed, the food should not be given to someone else.
lsquare and estrela like this.
carrotjuice is online now  
Old Aug 19, 22, 5:16 am
  #96  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: London
Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Posts: 436
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Once it's served to someone, especially when the foil covering has been removed, the food should not be given to someone else.
I get that, but how was it wasted? It was heated already plus everyone else had been served. It was going to the bin anyway, surely?

Are you saying BA reheat meals that arenít chosen?
ScienceTeacher is offline  
Old Aug 19, 22, 5:27 am
  #97  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Posts: 664
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher View Post
I get that, but how was it wasted? It was heated already plus everyone else had been served. It was going to the bin anyway, surely?

Are you saying BA reheat meals that arenít chosen?
A bit persistently pedantic I feel but:

People (me!) often request seconds if there is some spare.

The crew may have eaten it.

It was not eaten = wasted.
noFODplease is offline  
Old Aug 19, 22, 6:09 am
  #98  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Posts: 4,255
Originally Posted by noFODplease View Post
A bit persistently pedantic I feel but:

People (me!) often request seconds if there is some spare.

The crew may have eaten it.

It was not eaten = wasted.
But maybe not wasted due to the actions of the crew. I don't think the self upgraders should have been fed CE meals that they had not paid for. Do you?
itsmeitisss is offline  
Old Aug 19, 22, 6:14 am
  #99  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by chucko View Post
I recall an AS cabin crew observing this in the F overhead bins. She pulled the bag, gate-checked it, and taped the check receipt in the same place where the bag had been left.
That's excellent - I'm all for more of that!

Unfortunately most crew just seem to ignore it. I think they may be afraid the customer will make a fuss and a complaint if their bag is moved. Especially the type of passenger who is happy to inconvenience others and stow their bag where it doesn't belong, they'd send in an exaggerated complaint and probably end up with some bonus Avois for it...

I've also seen it handled really well once, the crew came down the aisle with the bag and said something like "Hi [name], I believe we've located your missing bag!". Passenger looks confused, and she continues "Another passenger found it up the front above their seat in Business Class, so now I've reunited it with its owner we can stow it here, above your seat for you. Please be more careful next time as misplaced bags will be sent to lost luggage for reclaim, and it's better to avoid that if possible."

This was years ago though, and I've never seen anyone challenged since.
LondonAussie is online now  
Old Aug 19, 22, 6:16 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,547
Funniest attempted self upgrade I've seen was a good few years back on an Oman Air ATR-72 (I think) from DXB-MCT.

Horrible plane, uncomfortable, noisy, no useful storage and almost no leg room, so just before take off the back rows were all full, the front 3-4 rows were completely empty and an Omani gentleman walks up front and sits in one of the spares. An FA then shouts "you can't sit there that's business class" at which point he points at his seat and then at the identical "business class" seats and starts laughing. It was definitely the saddest business class I've ever seen.
rt23456p likes this.
SteveF is offline  
Old Aug 19, 22, 6:20 am
  #101  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Posts: 4,255
Originally Posted by LondonAussie View Post
That's excellent - I'm all for more of that!

Unfortunately most crew just seem to ignore it. I think they may be afraid the customer will make a fuss and a complaint if their bag is moved. Especially the type of passenger who is happy to inconvenience others and stow their bag where it doesn't belong, they'd send in an exaggerated complaint and probably end up with some bonus Avois for it...

I've also seen it handled really well once, the crew came down the aisle with the bag and said something like "Hi [name], I believe we've located your missing bag!". Passenger looks confused, and she continues "Another passenger found it up the front above their seat in Business Class, so now I've reunited it with its owner we can stow it here, above your seat for you. Please be more careful next time as misplaced bags will be sent to lost luggage for reclaim, and it's better to avoid that if possible."

This was years ago though, and I've never seen anyone challenged since.
Fairly young IB staff on a IB Express operated BA flight from Malpensa a few weeks ago asked a passenger for his boarding pass when he put his bag above row 2 and kept walking...
itsmeitisss is offline  
Old Aug 19, 22, 10:04 am
  #102  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Posts: 3,855
I get very annoyed by self upgraders and overhead bandits when in CE, also illegal use of the nice toilets by those behind the curtain is really beyond the pale.

Mind you when I'm in the back I do feel the entitled p***ks at the front should learn to relax a bit, and I am GGL so essentially fully justified in going forwards to pee, so there is that.
bisonrav is offline  
Old Aug 19, 22, 12:35 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wolverhampton
Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Posts: 1,427
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
I get very annoyed by self upgraders and overhead bandits when in CE, also illegal use of the nice toilets by those behind the curtain is really beyond the pale.
I never understood this, I get the exclusivity of toilets in a Club World cabin, but with CE I was never under the impression they were CE exclusive (please note, not flown Y on BA for a while, so its not as if I'm using the wrong toilet). In most BA shorthaul there's loads of space up near the loos, so its not like Ryanair etc where they're queuing right by your ear most of the time. Are they supposed to be CE only (sorry to be OT)?
Smid is offline  
Old Aug 19, 22, 1:23 pm
  #104  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Devon, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver; Matmid Silverish
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
I get very annoyed by self upgraders and overhead bandits when in CE, also illegal use of the nice toilets by those behind the curtain is really beyond the pale.

Mind you when I'm in the back I do feel the entitled p***ks at the front should learn to relax a bit, and I am GGL so essentially fully justified in going forwards to pee, so there is that.
I thought if you are GGL you were entitled to your own chamber pot upon request and emptied by the cabin crew ?
choosethedrew likes this.
davidcamp6 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 22, 1:38 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Posts: 3,855
That would be taking the p*ss
bisonrav is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread