Self upgrader meets their match

Old Aug 17, 22, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You wouldn’t have liked my example then, those who know me know that I’m not a pushover, my passenger was on the verge of crying before I let him off the hook. 😈
Old Aug 17, 22, 2:43 pm

Programs: Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
Turns out after his grandfathers funeral, he was round at the house saw the ticket and borrowed it Yobby was now seriously out of pocket because of the upwards of 60 ($120) he had been made to fork out for his unticketed travel.

He had then decided to leave the train at Oxford, despite having just paid for a 1st single to Hereford, as he now couldn't afford the return journey by train.
How long ago was this?

I've travelled between London and Hereford many times between 2006 and 2018 and 60 quid for the 1st class would've been amazing, especially on the 20-stop direct service.
Old Aug 17, 22, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I met CIHU on a memorable inaugural flight several years ago and said person was delightful as the CSR. Whatever happened for CIHU to lead a passenger to near tears must have been the passenger at fault and NOT CIHU. Too bad CIHU has retired. It is a loss for BA.
Jimmie76, efincomputer and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
You wouldnt have liked my example then, those who know me know that Im not a pushover, my passenger was on the verge of crying before I let him off the hook. 😈
500 WT to F Id have bitten your hand off..
Old Aug 17, 22, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by jms_uk View Post
How long ago was this?

I've travelled between London and Hereford many times between 2006 and 2018 and 60 quid for the 1st class would've been amazing, especially on the 20-stop direct service.
Well before 2007 definitely as thats when I first posted it.
Old Aug 17, 22, 4:23 pm

I'm perturbed by the lack of the chicken pic, false advertising.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by worldtrav View Post
I'm perturbed by the lack of the chicken pic, false advertising.

Nobody else pointed this out to me!
Old Aug 17, 22, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher View Post

Actually @Carolina2Cali did point out the lack of chicken picture in post #17:

"P.S. No chicken pic... you must pay the chicken tax! "

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34522808-post17.html

I found the story amusing and unlike some quite like the way the crew dealt with the interloper. Chicken also looks decent.
Old Aug 17, 22, 5:34 pm

<pic of chicken meal>
If I was given a choice of "packet of crisps, or this meal to eat with your fingers", I'd be using my fingers. I carry wet wipes.
Old Aug 17, 22, 5:36 pm

I self downgraded once. Flying F from BKK to SYD in QF. Went for a walk around the cabin from F to J to Y and then back the other side of the plane for exercise. On the way back, I crossed from Y to J and stopped to try out the J seat (I'd never been in one) only to be approached by the FA and asked (very nicely) to please return to my assigned cabin. You should have seen her look as I got up and walked into F and sat in my seat.
Old Aug 17, 22, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by psusaver View Post
"Self upgraded" = grabbed a higher revenue seat without paying for it, right?
Airline seat/classes are actually revenue generating. Grocery store lanes, whether 10 item or 30 item do not affect store revenue in any noticeable manner.
Basically correct, though I don't remember if Delta was simply giving out those seats to their elite only or selling them at the time, it was brand new. You've taken my post a hair out of context though, I did say I felt ok at the time and since recant my feelings about it. I didn't get any free drink or food and the entire row was unsold, so in that sense, it literally did hurt no one... I guess perhaps I contributed to the wear and tear of that upholstery a very small amount, but alas I was young then and said I would do things differently now.
LadyKilljoy likes this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I disagree, it was somewhere in the middle of my novel, I even said you had to pay the chicken tax

EDIT, WHOOPS, @_AJA already pointed this out, thanks. Oh the irony.

Anyways, I once again have to say, I am thrilled with how the crew handled it and could care less about the professionalism if the result was more effective and the business pax now enjoying a good laugh. I still am curious as to what was the "how" of him getting back to his seat...
dougzz and AJA_ like this.

Last edited by Carolina2Cali; Aug 17, 22 at 6:09 pm Reason: Kudos to Aja_
Old Aug 17, 22, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by LondonAussie View Post
What I wish they would challenge more is the people putting their cabin bags in the overhead bins above Club rows and then walking down to take their seat in row 10.
I recall an AS cabin crew observing this in the F overhead bins. She pulled the bag, gate-checked it, and taped the check receipt in the same place where the bag had been left.
Old Aug 17, 22, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SonicStar817 View Post
Quite amusing. My experience with self upgraders on a BA flight resulted in the aircraft returning to the gate, the police being called and them getting booted off the flight.
I would choose to let the self-upgraders get away with it over returning to the gate. ANYTHING is better than returning to the gate.
Old Aug 17, 22, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
He had then decided to leave the train at Oxford, despite having just paid for a 1st single to Hereford, as he now couldn't afford the return journey by train.
I'd like to see BA eject freeloading self upgraders in this way at cruise. Alas I fear it won't happen in my lifetime.

The best freeloading upgrade parting backchat I ever heard was from some delightful 'yoof' on South Western Railways. The train manager proceeded to show them the door to the overcrowded standard accommodation upon establishing they only held a Standard Class ticket. "You lot are just stupid paying extra money for a curtain and a headrest cover" as he was gestured to move out the compartment. Yet he was so right in one sense when you think about it as it's quite often the exact same argument one has in Europe when justifying one booking class over another. The fact it's generally quieter and less crowded is generally the reason why people pay for Club Europe. We sure as hell dont pay for the gourmet dining (with or without cutlery!)... if my trip to ZAG last weekend is anything to go by.

The retort from another passenger on the train that "if it keeps me away from scrotes like you, it makes it worthwhile at double the cost" did make laugh though.... and equally appropriate too for upgrader guy in the OP's story. If I were the IFL on the OP's flight I'd have also made a PA to congratulate the gentleman who's about to walk back through the curtain on his failed upgrade attempt to be met with a round of applause.

People will chance their arm until they're told no and even then will continue to try to do so. A little public embarrassment never hurt anyone.... just a little bruised in the pride department perhaps. Enough to think twice not to do it again.
Radiation Station likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Aug 17, 22 at 7:13 pm

Search this Thread