BA0406 LHR - BCN 17 Aug - cancelled?

Old Aug 18, 22, 8:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
In events like this, all we have is patience. Without it we are left to stew in our own anger over the predicament in which we find ourselves. While the powers that be over at BA and IAG may not have much concern for our wellbeing in these situations, let's not let their disregard prevent us from enjoying our holidays. We've all had these moments, some mechanical and some weather. My personal memory has two such events, one due to a T-Storm and one due to faulty toilets. We'll have them again. Keep Calm and Don't Mind the Poo. ( I was going to say a word that kind of sounds like Gap, but some might have perceived it to be a swear.) Enjoy the holiday, after a well deserved sleep.
Old Aug 18, 22, 10:32 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
The flight was supposed to depart at 12.50. It finally took off at 17.57. They take 1hr 30 to reach BCN. They stack for about an hour and then leave to ALC. They arrive at about 22.15 local time and there they sat for 2 hours. I think that BA were mad to let this aircraft wait all that time at LHR - uncatered - for such a long time. It should have been cancelled - they have cancelled for lots of other reasons before. After 2-3 hours someone should have said "Enough" and pulled them back on stand. That BA have absolutely no control over the weather is given - however BA does have control over their own aircraft. This should never have got off the ground. Those poor people. Words fail me.
Old Aug 19, 22, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
The flight was supposed to depart at 12.50. It finally took off at 17.57. They take 1hr 30 to reach BCN. They stack for about an hour and then leave to ALC. They arrive at about 22.15 local time and there they sat for 2 hours. I think that BA were mad to let this aircraft wait all that time at LHR - uncatered - for such a long time. It should have been cancelled - they have cancelled for lots of other reasons before. After 2-3 hours someone should have said "Enough" and pulled them back on stand. That BA have absolutely no control over the weather is given - however BA does have control over their own aircraft. This should never have got off the ground. Those poor people. Words fail me.
Exactly this! We were sat at the gate at T5 for hours. As its a BA hub there is no excuse for them not loading a single item of food on board.

we eventually landed into BCN at 01:17

There was a so many little children on board (including a poor breastfeeding mother with a tiny baby) My brother travelling with me is type 1 diabetic and it would have been a medical incident had another kind passenger not given him some a snack they had brought on board.

To top it off, ive just received an email from BA with a poor attempt at an apology offering me a evoucher for 400 (so 100 per passenger).

The email confirms that the delay was due to a technical fault (before the weather issues kicked in) so im assuming we are actually entitled to 350 per person.

is that right?
Old Aug 19, 22, 5:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Clareym66 View Post
To top it off, ive just received an email from BA with a poor attempt at an apology offering me a evoucher for 400 (so 100 per passenger).

The email confirms that the delay was due to a technical fault (before the weather issues kicked in) so im assuming we are actually entitled to 350 per person.

is that right?
Usually when BA are pro-active in this area - which isn't that often - the eVoucher is an ex-gratia payment for the mess, but you can and should claim EC261 if that applies. And I think it does here since I think you can failry argue that 3 hours of this was BA/IB controlled. The baseline for that is 250 / 220 per passenger, unless there is a connecting flight involved.
Old Aug 19, 22, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Usually when BA are pro-active in this area - which isn't that often - the eVoucher is an ex-gratia payment for the mess, but you can and should claim EC261 if that applies. And I think it does here since I think you can failry argue that 3 hours of this was BA/IB controlled. The baseline for that is 250 / 220 per passenger, unless there is a connecting flight involved.
OK great, I was worried that accepting this would mean I was unable to claim the EU261 compensation!
Old Aug 19, 22, 6:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
OK great, I was worried that accepting this would mean I was unable to claim the EU261 compensation!
If they had given you cash then BA would be able to deduct that cash from the settlement, but in that hypothetical scenario I don't think that would be BA's approach. EC261 mandates that you receive cash for the EC261 components, you are at liberty to accept a voucher if you wish. Where you are now, I would expect cash compensation for the delay, and I think it highly unlikely they would rescind the eVouchers.
Clareym66 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 22, 4:18 pm

Hi I was also on that awful flight LHR to BCN.
did anyone get anywhere re compensation?
I had a few questions:
according top the CAA Its under 1500km so its a 220 per passenger compensation - including kids?
Is there any kind of argument that as it went to Alicante and then Barcelona and was nearer a 2000+ km journey it should be in the next compensation band 1500-3000km? ( thus 350 per passenger)
Or any other options - it went to alienate and never got there and then a second flight that got to BCN very late? 2 flights late?one not getting there?
seems a bit low 220 given the ridiculous length of delay , 5 or 5 hours yes but 11 should be more compenstion.
so thats the delay queries
What kind of compensation should BA be giving re the no food and drinks ( and rationed water) over the journey as they failed to to proved these?
This should be an additional sum as it was such an extreme situation? and they failed to adhere to a legal requirement.
many thanks if anyone can help answer these queries or advise otherwise
Old Sep 2, 22, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Alex Henebury View Post
I had a few questions:
according top the CAA Its under 1500km so its a 220 per passenger compensation - including kids?
Is there any kind of argument that as it went to Alicante and then Barcelona and was nearer a 2000+ km journey it should be in the next compensation band 1500-3000km? ( thus 350 per passenger)
Or any other options - it went to alienate and never got there and then a second flight that got to BCN very late? 2 flights late?one not getting there?
seems a bit low 220 given the ridiculous length of delay , 5 or 5 hours yes but 11 should be more compenstion.
What kind of compensation should BA be giving re the no food and drinks ( and rationed water) over the journey as they failed to to proved these?
This should be an additional sum as it was such an extreme situation? and they failed to adhere to a legal requirement.
You wont get any additional compensation for the diversion to Alicante as that was due to BCN temporarily halting arrivals and departures due to weather. That is out of BAs control
and as Im sure youll appreciate, diverting to take on more fuel to finish your journey is better then holding for BCN to reopen and having the engines stop at 10K feet!
I fully understand it was the flight from hell, but your statutory compensation under EC261 is 250pp for the delay and the only remaining option is for you to raise a complaint with BA and see if theyll award Avios in addition to your EC261 payment for the lack of food and water.

Pilot37
Old Sep 2, 22, 4:26 pm

Welcome to Flyeralk and welcome to the BA forum.

We have elsewhere in this forum a detailed thread about EC261 (often now referred to as UK261). It is 220 for short trips such as this, and that's per person, children get the full rate so long as some sort of fare was paid. And it is the same for 3 hours or 30 hours, but nothing at all if 2 hours 59 minutes. In a sense there are 2 complaints here (at least), so the delay, for which EC261 is clear; and the way it was managed, including the lack of food, and that is where I presume the vouchers came in. EC261 does allow for other compensation for other components. So by all means claim EC261, but you can also make a request for an additional sum to cover the poor circumstances here. There are ways of pursuing this, either via CEDR (on the basis of BA not treating you fairly) or the small claims court MCOL, more details in the main EC261 thread.
Old Sep 2, 22, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
There was a so many little children on board (including a poor breastfeeding mother with a tiny baby) My brother travelling with me is type 1 diabetic and it would have been a medical incident had another kind passenger not given him some a snack they had brought on board.
You couldn't have anticipated what would happen, and it's not your fault, but I do think that this is a reasonable reminder that anybody running the risk of a medical emergency (eg a type 1 diabetic) should always pack some food in their carryon/personal bag, just in case.
Old Sep 25, 22, 9:22 am

Hello all
as posted before as on that flight , I have emailed BA 4 times since the 19th august about this , and making a claim ( as I had a few questions about it) without any kind of response.
Cant call as the phone centre doesnt link to the ba customer service for this area.
should i just make a claim?
I wanted to a sk can I add in a missed taxi ( we had a rebooked taxi that we have paid for and obviously being 11 hours late did not make that journey and had to pay for a second taxi
thanks.
Am I naive to think I could discuss and organise the claim with BA rather than going through the formal claims route - are they not obliged to respond to my emails?
Old Sep 25, 22, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Have you filled in the form online?

Ive put a claim in for compensation and for them to cover expenses of a hotel and the taxis to/from the airport.

i havent heard from BA yet, ill give them the 8 weeks then will go to CEDA
Old Sep 25, 22, 9:56 am
Original Poster

I had a few questions:

Did you get an email from BA a few days after offering an evoucher compensation?
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:02 am

Hi , i did yes , 300 voucher for family of 4 ( I have heard others were offered more?).
I emailed them back asking if this was additional to delay compensation? and could they please get in touch.....
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:39 am

Hi , i did yes , 300 voucher for family of 4 ( I have heard others were offered more?).
I emailed them back asking if this was additional to delay compensation? and could they please get in touch.....
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. Note that on your first day on FT you have a one-time restriction of 5 posts in 24 hours.

There is a specific thread for EC261 which gives a lot of details. You are entitled to cancellation compensation of 250 per person. You also get Right to Care benefits covering any food or drink costs. You can't claim for consequential losses such as the pre-booked taxi, that would be for your insurance company. There's a general point to make that having a pre-booked taxi is always a risk if there isn't some cancellation option, it wouldn't take much for delays to happen. You may, however, be able to charge the new taxi since at that hour public transport wouldn't be realistic.

You can't call Customer Relations. You put in the claim, mentioning EC261 and all your Right to Care costs. If after 8 weeks you have heard nothing you can go to CEDR (see EC261 thread) or you can make a Small Claims case under MCOL if you prefer. CEDR should be OK here though.

Search this Thread