BA0406 LHR - BCN 17 Aug - cancelled?

Old Aug 17, 22, 2:45 pm

Oh dear, they say it never rains but pours. And that is literally what is happening in BCN right now with heavy thunderstorm cells raining heavy hail and lightning. Our poor OP is off to ALC.

Firstly IB go Tech, swap flights then no catering (did they eventually load anything?), stop on all deps out of LHR for a time then zero on deps to the south for a bit longer due to the cells over the south and south east. Large TSAT delays after new crew found and now insult to injury the WX has closed in at BCN.

My sympathies are with the OP this evening. Current ETA into BCN assuming a fuel and go is now 0028 LT
KARFA and AJA_ like this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can't really press the Like button can I? <br /><br />But yes, what a miserable set of circumstances, and not too good for those on the 16:45 scheduled BCN-LHR return service - no news on that one yet.
wrp96, Sigwx and AJA_ like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 17, 22 at 2:56 pm
Old Aug 17, 22, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m somewhere in France where the storm is incredible.
Sigwx likes this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I can't really press the Like button can I?

But yes, what a miserable set of circumstances, and not too good for those on the 16:45 scheduled BCN-LHR return service - new news on that one.

The 407 is showing a 2213 UTC departure and 0126 UTC arrival, assuming dispensation is had due to the WX today.
Old Aug 17, 22, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Im somewhere in France where the storm is incredible.

Given the extent of all these cells it could be a one of a few French dests, but I think I know which one😉 And yes it looks impressive on WX radar right now.
Old Aug 17, 22, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

We were diverted to alicante. Still stuck on the tarmac and we still have no food.

its an utter disgrace!
1Aturnleft and skipness1E like this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Clareym66 View Post
We were diverted to alicante. Still stuck on the tarmac and we still have no food.

its an utter disgrace!
I see that you are estimated to push back at a quarter past (4 mins time) and that BCN have got a recovery rate in effect to pick up arrivals and departures flow after a period of being totally closed down.

How long have you been onboard for now?

EDIT to add : Ive just seen your slot at 22:22GMT. Hopefully that will come forward as the rate picks up.
Old Aug 17, 22, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

We are sat with doors open so not leaving any time soon.

weve been told there is no food at Alicante.

We have no idea when we are leaving.

I just cant believe this isn't illegal!
Old Aug 17, 22, 4:44 pm

We are sat with doors open so not leaving any time soon.

weve been told there is no food at Alicante.

We have no idea when we are leaving.

I just cant believe this isn't illegal!

This is a clear example of why US Tarmac Delay legislation should be re looked at for the UK and EU, not that it helps here. Sadly there wouldnt be catering, Any catering operation, if any, would be focused on its limited clientele in terms of aircraft based there, which will likely all be of the lo-co type, and unable to cater a sudden deluge of diverted flights. The idea of removing catering from short haul really has shown to be a poor decision at the times good will is needed the most.

After the dust has settled on your nightmare day, please do take the time to write to the CAA about your experience, having passengers onboard for that length of time with zero idea on timings in order to be able to plan a good backup and adapt to the circumstances of the day is frankly beyond poor in this day and age.

The weather is sadly a very unpredictable beast at times, yes we can forecast storms but their magnitude and exact positioning and tracking is all in the lap of the gods on the day sadly.

It is sad that we seem to lack the provision of the disruption boxes we once had access to in the past.

I do hope you get there asap. Duty of Care still applies so do keep all your receipts for the day and getting to your final destination.
Old Aug 17, 22, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Sigwx View Post
This is a clear example of why US Tarmac Delay legislation should be re looked at for the UK and EU, not that it helps here. Sadly there wouldnt be catering, Any catering operation, if any, would be focused on its limited clientele in terms of aircraft based there, which will likely all be of the lo-co type, and unable to cater a sudden deluge of diverted flights. The idea of removing catering from short haul really has shown to be a poor decision at the times good will is needed the most.
The one thing US tarmac delay legislation would at least ensure would be that there be water and snacks onboard for extended delays. Not a full meal obviously, but at least something shelf stable like a granola bar which would help in the case of an extended delay without food.
Sigwx likes this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
The one thing US tarmac delay legislation would at least ensure would be that there be water and snacks onboard for extended delays. Not a full meal obviously, but at least something shelf stable like a granola bar which would help in the case of an extended delay without food.
Precisely, it wouldnt be much, but it would at least be something.
Old Aug 17, 22, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

It has been utterly horrific, i know the weather isnt anyones fault but they have handled it so badly. We are still sat on the tarmac at ALC!
Old Aug 17, 22, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
It has been utterly horrific, i know the weather isnt anyones fault but they have handled it so badly. We are still sat on the tarmac at ALC!
I see you have just taken off - hopefully the final
leg on a miserable journey!

Pilot37
wrp96 and birdiedouble like this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

We finally landed into BCN about 01:30!!
Old Aug 18, 22, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Mucci recipient
We finally landed into BCN about 01:30!!
I am so glad you finally got there. What a nightmare of a journey. The only consolation is that the delays were done out of safety considerations as an on time departure flying through those storms may not have arrived at all.

I recall a few years ago being on a winter storm very delayed Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt to London being further delayed when, once on board, we were then parked in an hour long queue waiting for de-icing.

The passenger next to me was very annoyed at this further delay until i turned to him and explained the reason for the de-icing and said it was done for our safety as otherwise we would very likely drop.out the sky after taking off. I told him I, along with the pilots and cabin crew, had no intention of dying to arrive on time.

Search this Thread