Wiki Posts
Search

Using a future travel voucher

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Using a future travel voucher

Guys, I need some BA help.

I have an old "future travel voucher" from March 2020 which starts 125-. Never been been able to use it online. Various instructions state you have to call BA to use it. But when you call BA they tell you 'we can't handle voucher enquiries' and tell you to email using the contact form.

Email through the contact form and they tell you that they can't help with voucher queries as I've come through the 'wrong channel'.

How on earth to you apply a future travel voucher to a flight booking?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What are you trying to book? Is it a BA Holidays booking by any chance?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
What are you trying to book? Is it a BA Holidays booking by any chance?
No, just a single CE BA flight. I get to the part where you can choose to reduce the cost through Avios OR apply an evoucher, so I drop in the 'future travel voucher' starting with 125- and it claims the surname, email and voucher number are all incorrect (they are all correct).
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:03 am

Did this FTV come from a normal flight only cash booking?

If it is an offline FTV, i.e. one that does not show any value in your FTV email, then you can't use it online. You do have to call and you cannot use it through a contact form - the agent you spoke to gave you duff info.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
If BA Holidays, you can use on the phone, or pay a deposit and part pay via voucher (email them the details)
If BA voucher, the offline ones you have to phone up to buy the ticket and use the voucher. You can also hold the flights for £5/10 and then call in to pay the balance with the voucher(and cash)
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Did this FTV come from a normal flight only cash booking?

If it is an offline FTV, i.e. one that does not show any value in your FTV email, then you can't use it online. You do have to call and you cannot use it through a contact form - the agent you spoke to gave you duff info.
It came from a mixed cash + Avios booking which I made for LHR to ATX in CW back in 2020.

I know, but the problem is, I've called twice and it's really hard to get through. I wondered if there was a better way. As the sales line is not accepting calls, they claim the general enquiries line can't handle voucher queries. So frustrating.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
If BA voucher, the offline ones you have to phone up to buy the ticket and use the voucher. You can also hold the flights for £5/10 and then call in to pay the balance with the voucher(and cash)
Yep, but you can't? If you call BA their sales lines are 'down for a few weeks' (and have been for a few weeks). Is there a specific number or a way of calling to achieve this?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:24 am

By mixed cash and avios, do you mean a reward booking where you have also paid cash for the taxes/fees/charges and possibly more cash to reduce the avios, or do you mean a normal cash booking where you have used some avios after the flight selection page to reduce the cash required (known as part pay with avios)?

There isn't really a better way. What number are you calling?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by chriswiles
Yep, but you can't? If you call BA their sales lines are 'down for a few weeks' (and have been for a few weeks). Is there a specific number or a way of calling to achieve this?
Apologies, the very entitled me forgot that I call the GGL line and other lines maybe different. Sorry.

Try the European or US lines (via Skype)
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:29 am

I wish you luck
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I know it's not obvious, but using an offline FTV is actually changing an existing booking, not making a new booking. But you will need to be more precise about the sort of original booking it was since to simplify, redemption FTVs have to be used on redemptions.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Does the email start like this?

Booking Reference: 123XYZ

Dear chriswiles,

Your future travel voucher is here. Thank you for your patience while we processed your application.

Voucher code(s)
125-2xxxxxxxxx

It sounds like a Future Travel Voucher - not an e-voucher. If so, it is the original booking, held in cyberspace, waiting for you to re-book it - on the phone. You need to quote the 6-character booking ref and take it from there - if you can get through. The original e-ticket email will show the original amount of avios and cash which is locked up in the FTV.

e-vouchers, that you can use online as part of your payment for a revenue ticket, will start 125-4xxxxxxxxxx.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
It sounds like a Future Travel Voucher - not an e-voucher. If so, it is the original booking, held in cyberspace, waiting for you to re-book it - on the phone. You need to quote the 6-character booking ref and take it from there - if you can get through. The original e-ticket email will show the original amount of avios and cash which is locked up in the FTV.
Yes, it is a 'Future Travel Voucher' as I wrote that in the subject line. I know you need to call - it's getting through and getting them to action anything.

Just an update: finally managed to get hold of someone who looked up the voucher and said she could change it to an e-voucher which can be redeemed online and it would be "emailed within 2 hours". About 5 hours later, no email.

What a frustrating process. I might have to try plan B and what Corporate Wage Slave suggested and just book and see if I can get them to offset the value.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:21 pm

Why was she not just able to create the new booking in the FTV? That’s is the normal way to do it. You seem to have got a run of poor agents unfortunately.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Yes, it is a 'Future Travel Voucher' as I wrote that in the subject line. I know you need to call - it's getting through and getting them to action anything.

Just an update: finally managed to get hold of someone who looked up the voucher and said she could change it to an e-voucher which can be redeemed online and it would be "emailed within 2 hours". About 5 hours later, no email.

What a frustrating process. I might have to try plan B and what Corporate Wage Slave suggested and just book and see if I can get them to offset the value.
I don’t think she knows what she is doing. You can’t just convert it to an evoucher. As others said it’s kind of a booking to some special place. So all you need to do is call back and the agent just changing this booking to whatever you need to go. I don’t get why she just can’t do that.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.