Reducing fuel surcharge

Old Aug 10, 22, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Reducing fuel surcharge

I have a bunch of Avios, and a GUF2 that needs to be used by 7 Sep 2022. Thinking of redeeming 2 PE and upgrade to J, or J with upgrade to F. But taking into account the high YQ imposed by BA, it’s making me pause and wonder if it’s worthwhile or should I just let my GUF2 lapse.

Since I don’t live in UK, I know about transiting UK less than 24 hours, or depart from INV, to avoid APD.

But wondering are there any tips from this community that can help reduce YQ on Avios tickets? Are there any originating cities for example that YQ won’t be imposed? Or any AA/BA combos?
Melodsal likes this.
Old Aug 11, 22, 1:33 am

YQ is usually cheaper if you start outside the UK and transit via LHR.

Which is odd, given it's supposed to be a fuel surcharge - and you are using more fuel by doing this.

To some desintations, the difference can be huge, in other cases, not so much. But YQ is usually cheaper than exLHR - that that's before considering the APD. The starting city doesn't seem to matter (as long as it's outside the UK). It (mostly) varies by destination.
Old Aug 11, 22, 1:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by zen100 View Post
YQ is usually cheaper if you start outside the UK and transit via LHR.

Which is odd, given it's supposed to be a fuel surcharge - and you are using more fuel by doing this.

To some desintations, the difference can be huge, in other cases, not so much. But YQ is usually cheaper than exLHR - that that's before considering the APD. The starting city doesn't seem to matter (as long as it's outside the UK). It (mostly) varies by destination.
On BA ‘YQ’ is a ‘carrier surcharge’ and not a ‘fuel surcharge’. It has not been referred to as a fuel surcharge for many years.
Old Aug 11, 22, 2:30 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
On BA ‘YQ’ is a ‘carrier surcharge’ and not a ‘fuel surcharge’. It has not been referred to as a fuel surcharge for many years.
Good point – I hadn’t realised. Rather in the same way that global warming morphed into climate change.
Old Aug 11, 22, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Yes, they changed it from fuel surcharge to carrier surcharge the last time the oil price crashed. Funny that.
Old Aug 11, 22, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by jamesreid978 View Post
Yes, they changed it from fuel surcharge to carrier surcharge the last time the oil price crashed. Funny that.
Up like a rocket.

Down like a feather.
Old Aug 11, 22, 6:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by jamesreid978 View Post
It was more likely influenced by a certain US DoT complaint and a subsequent class action lawsuit. BA is not the only airline that has non-fuel-related YQ in its fares.

Search this Thread