LHR Flounge Customer Service Chaos

Old Aug 10, 22, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I would suggest that the BA staff I encountered today at A1, T5 customer service and Flounge, may be paid £20k per year but are certainly not working. Which brings us back to KAFRA's point - they should have been booted out years ago.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR View Post
Publicly available seats are exactly what airline staff use to rebook, even in invol situations. There is no hidden availability that agents use. If there was no visible availability, then agents are unable to process any rebooking.

With regards to other carriers, there are agents who would assist in doing this, either in advance or to assist front line staff via telephone.
With respect, this misses the point completely. There were publicly available seats on EI and Flybe, and there was also availability - specifically for invol changes (if one believes the reason BA gave for ceasing public sale) on two BA BHD/LHR flights.
wrp96, KARFA and mnhusker like this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Publicly available seats are exactly what airline staff use to rebook, even in invol situations. There is no hidden availability that agents use. If there was no visible availability, then agents are unable to process any rebooking.

With regards to other carriers, there are agents who would assist in doing this, either in advance or to assist front line staff via telephone.
With respect, this misses the point completely. There were publicly available seats on EI and Flybe, and there was also availability - specifically for invol changes (if one believes the reason BA gave for ceasing public sale) on two BA BHD/LHR flights.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well in the sense that the OP was not looking to make a new booking which is something that is currently not possible. Irrops rebookings shouldn't be restricted and the agent should have rebooked on the other available flights that day. As the OP states there was availability on EI and BA flights.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A sorry tale, much of it avoidable. I hope you will submit your EC261 tonight
ba.com/complaints
and after 2 weeks, LBA then MCOL. With a short note saying BA's staff lacked the competence to do their job.

Code:
LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 0745 
DELAY ZO 
LEFT THE GATE 0745 
TOOK OFF 0758 
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0855 BHD 
BHD AIRCRAFT LANDED 0850 
ARRIVED 0856 
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, there is no process in BA systems whereby, in case of large scale irrops, seats can be removed from public sale and reserved for irrop handling by BA staff? If so, all I can say is: wow, just wow.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by southsquare View Post
And my point remains, there is no availability specifically for invol changes. It is all the same. If it is showing available to public, then yes, agents can use it for invol. If itís not, then they canít. The only option would be a waitlist/standby.

I donít know what availability the agents would have seen for EI or Flybe so wonít comment other than to say that the ticketing support agents would have been the ones to assist with this. They are also the ones who should have been proactively rebooking any late connections. The fact that this wasnít done and the original
comment about how busy connections was, suggests that there was a wider failure in the ticketing support which impacted what the front line colleagues could do.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
And my point remains, there is no availability specifically for invol changes. It is all the same. If it is showing available to public, then yes, agents can use it for invol. If itís not, then they canít. The only option would be a waitlist/standby.

I donít know what availability the agents would have seen for EI or Flybe so wonít comment other than to say that the ticketing support agents would have been the ones to assist with this. They are also the ones who should have been proactively rebooking any late connections. The fact that this wasnít done and the original
comment about how busy connections was, suggests that there was a wider failure in the ticketing support which impacted what the front line colleagues could do.
So in other words, someone is completely screwed if misconnecting until the 15th?
IAMORGAN and Quark999 like this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club

From the seat maps, there were plenty of empty seats on the flight. The Op was already through security. It is nonsensical the Op wouldnít be permitted to board any flight with empty seats.

People always complain about BA cost cutting. But one thing we all know is BA / IAG is a pro-profit making company. From a shareholder perspective this makes absolutely no sense also.

BA / IAG are opening themselves up to countless EU261 claims and increasing costs. We can usually count on BA management when it comes to cost control!

Last edited by mmogdan; Aug 10, 22 at 1:54 pm
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Even if the above is correct - and it is at odds with many of the posts above - I wasn't even offered waitlist/standby, nor would there have been any need to offer either as there was availability. What was lacking was not availability but competent BA staff. I did not comment on "how busy connections was" so I do not know to what OP refers. In fact, when my boarding pass beeped at Fast Track connections, I went straight to the BA agent and there was no one in front of me in a queue to reach her. And after she confirmed that gate A1 was waiting, I was taken straight through security and I sped to A1, arriving at A1 at 0714. There followed 10 hours of chaos, frustration and exhaustion caused largely by incompetent BA staff.

mnhusker likes this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
I don't understand what the fuss is all about. You're all missing the important points that Wee Willie and his bag-carrier Accenture Alex slashed and burned and were rewarded accordingly by IAG for services to the shareholders. Let's all remember the size of Willie's bonus(es) and what he was rewarded on. It's for removing almost everything needed to make a BAU operation bearable in 2022......
Old Aug 10, 22, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Even if the above is correct - and it is at odds with many of the posts above - I wasn't even offered waitlist/standby, nor would there have been any need to offer either as there was availability. What was lacking was not availability but competent BA staff. I did not comment on "how busy connections was" so I do not know to what OP refers. In fact, when my boarding pass beeped at Fast Track connections, I went straight to the BA agent and there was no one in front of me in a queue to reach her. And after she confirmed that gate A1 was waiting, I was taken straight through security and I sped to A1, arriving at A1 at 0714. There followed 10 hours of chaos, frustration and exhaustion caused largely by incompetent BA staff.

Apologies, if I misunderstood, your opening line, but you said that there was chaos in main terminal and in the Flounge. Given that you were connecting, I took main terminal to be flight connections as you also mentioned that you were connecting.
Old Aug 10, 22, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
A sorry tale, much of it avoidable. I hope you will submit your EC261 tonight
ba.com/complaints
and after 2 weeks, LBA then MCOL. With a short note saying BA's staff lacked the competence to do their job.

Code:
LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 0745 
DELAY ZO 
LEFT THE GATE 0745 
TOOK OFF 0758 
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0855 BHD 
BHD AIRCRAFT LANDED 0850 
ARRIVED 0856 
Thanks, CWS. Too tired/worn out now to do my EC261 tonight (standing at Flounge customer service from approx. 0730 to 1110, throughout which time it didn't occur to any of the assorted BA staff who drifted in/out, insisting on prioritising their own frequent breaks, to offer me even a glass of water, nor to check on the elderly lady) but I'll do it tomorrow and will also try MCOL for around 4 hours of lost earnings. Had BA booked me on EI931, I'd have been home around 1315, taken say an hour to shower, put washing in machine and eat, and then done around 4 hours work. Instead, I was standing at customer service from 0730-1110, then train/tube/DLR to LCY, small delay on that LCY BA flight, so finally home around 1800. I'm reasonably confident that there is sufficient evidence of lost earnings to get it over the MCOL line.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 2:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Lost earnings won't get very far, it's just EC261 delay compensation and Right to Care expenses. There are 3 things at play here, reimbursement, compensation and damages. The last is out of scope and the airlines act like hawks on that one. The other two are part of EC261. But you can put in for loss of earnings up to £95 (for making the MCOL application) and all set costs such as court fee. You can also claim interest at 8%
Markie, jerry a. laska, SK and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
I was directed from LHR to City Airport by train to take a LCY/BHD flight- with reduced mobility - because no BA LHR staff member could be bothered to rebook or offer any other assistance.
Not wanting to have a go at the OP but haven't you bought a ticket on EI departing from LHR and then claim it from BA instead of schlepping all the way to LCY?
allturnleft likes this.

Search this Thread