Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

LHR Flounge Customer Service Chaos

LHR Flounge Customer Service Chaos

Old Aug 10, 22, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
they don’t need a knowledge of ticketing. A miss-connect can be rebooked via FLY quite easily and doesn’t require a ticketing agent.
BA to BA, yes (when booking from open availability / not zeroed out / or not knowing how to call Revenue Management). BA to another carrier, I wouldn’t be completely sure.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 10:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by surryson View Post
BA to BA, yes (when booking from open availability / not zeroed out / or not knowing how to call Revenue Management). BA to another carrier, I wouldn’t be completely sure.
You will see I focused on the rebooking on later BA flight and I deliberately haven’t mentioned rebooking on to EI as part of my rant as I wasn’t sure on precisely this point
surryson likes this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 11:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
What makes this all the worse is that the stated reason to stop selling LHR outbound flight tickets was precisely so that “seats would be available in case of missed connections and delays for our customers already possessing a ticket”.
SK, Aus_Mal, adrianlondon and 30 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 11:53 am

they don’t need a knowledge of ticketing. A miss-connect can be rebooked via FLY quite easily and doesn’t require a ticketing agent.
What about the complexity of operating PNRs, reroutes on other airlines, splitting PNRs, overbooking due to availability in higher cabins, SR DOCS for anything that touches North America????
Old Aug 10, 22, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I've just arrived home (close to BHD), around 10 hour late, exhausted, having had to trek out to LCY with an injury while almost empty planes left LHR for BHD. None of the information which I requested from those BA LHR agents and which their "manager" agreed to send me has been emailed to me (why does that not surprise me) and it was obvious, as this mornings 4 hour wait/conversation progressed, that none of the agents with whom I spoke were making any sort of record of the points I raised. One of those agents purported to "explain" contract law to me, asserting that I don't understand the T & C of tickets. Some of you know what I do for a living and bods in BA's corporate and legal teams may find the agent's assertions curious. Meanwhile, my more immediate concern is for the elderly lady who had been wheeled to the side of the Flounge Customer Service area sometime before i got there at about 7.30am and, by the time I left the Flounge at around 11.30am, abandoned. No one had checked on her for close to 4 hours There's every possibility that again, BA will forget to get her to this evening's flight (if, by then, she hasn't succumbed to exhaustion and dehydration, both of which are more immediate risks) and leave her there until someone finds her at Flounge closing time late tonight.
jmd, price123, Bullswood and 11 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Hopefully someone reading your post who is in the flounge now will check.

What a day you must have had!
Old Aug 10, 22, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
I long ago gave up on the customer service desk in the Flounge. (I assume we're talking about that window across from the toilets.) They have never been able to handle anything as simple as a seating change for me, let alone a rebooking.

The agents at the entrance to the lounge have offered to arrange mobility assistance in the past. (Back when I was traveling with a broken ankle but didn't know it. I foolishly declined the offer.)
skipness1E likes this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
This is just shocking. I can’t think what else to say. Do BA have a death wish? Everything they possibly can do wrong they are doing wrong.
That poor lady is preying on my mind now too, imagining my late mother in the same situation. I hope she’s in Glasgow now and comfortable.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

CWS, spot on, as usual. Yes, it was BA1414. I arrived at the gate (A1) at 0714. It should have closed at 0710 for 0730 departure, so I was 4 minutes late (after late transatlantic arrival). Club World flight connections had called the gate to ask it to wait a few minutes and the gate had agreed to do so. (I overheard the phone conversation as my LHR/BHD boarding pass beeped at flight connections, and sent me to an agent, who called the gate immediately while I waited in front of her. She then reprinted my boarding pass and sent me to A1, with someone to walk me to the front of security to get me through quickly, given the time constraint). One of the gate agents at A1 (who was packing up at 0714) asserted that they had "waited a long time" for me and then off-loaded me. I queried this, she refused to clarify what a "long time" was and as I was only 4 minutes after the regular gate closure time, it seems that her definition of "a long time" must be 0 - appox. 3 minutes. Meanwhile, the other remaining gate agent contradicted her, asserting that as that flight had a light load, he had taken the decision to close it early and off-load me (notwithstanding the phone call with flight connections). In summary, ono one agent states that they waited "a long time" (i.e. perhaps 3 minutes) and the other agent states that he closed the flight early as it had a light load (light because it's a flight that is no longer available for sale). Is there any way of determining the precise time at which the flight closed?
Old Aug 10, 22, 12:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Closing the gate by 0714 for a 0730 is very clearly early. Gates for short haul are rarely closed at 20 minutes to go. I would have expected the gate to still be open when you arrived at 0714.
Old Aug 10, 22, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

As to BA mobility assistance, I missed my late mother's death in February 2013 because BA couldn't wheel me (with fractured ankle) through the terminal for the last BHD flight of the day. I ended up in BHD mid morning the next morning, by which time she'd been dead for around 11 hours.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

And yes, there were seats on all three EI LHR/BHD flights. I took screenshots at hourly intervals from around 8.45am onwards, each showing that EI was still selling seats on those flights. There were also seats on Flybe LHR/BHD and again, BA refused to book.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:04 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
What makes this incident extremely poor is the fact that this was the F lounge at Heathrow. Imagine the service you will receive if you don’t have access to F lounge or even worse if you are not at Heathrow. My recent “delay experience” at Gatwick where nobody could do anything apart from the panacea advise to “call BA” made me realise how bad customer service can be.
Howard Long, wrp96, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:09 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Originally Posted by sigma421 View Post
Because the pay and conditions are grim enough that those who can get work elsewhere leave, leaving only those who can't (or at least not a similar job at the same wage). I feel this is why you end up with such extremities among BA staff. You're either there because you love the job (at least in terms of what you do, who you work with etc.) or because you couldn't get another one. Normal people who are competent don't stick around.
Exactly. On last Fridays FT there was an article about chaos at the airports. BA asked to comment and their answer was that “We offer extremely competitive salary” ( something like that). Nobody who is competent enough will work for 20k per year specially inside one of the busiest airports.
Old Aug 10, 22, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
There is a serious issue with BA staff. Unfortunately there are some very stupid ignorant BA ground staff. As was rightly noted, the OP was not looking for publicly available seats, and was were in an invol rebooking situation so rebooking on the late BA flight should have been straightforward.

If I sound rather blunt and rude, it is because I am fed up with people like this at BA. Sadly it seems they managed to somehow remain over the last few years when really they should have been booted out a long time ago.
Publicly available seats are exactly what airline staff use to rebook, even in invol situations. There is no hidden availability that agents use. If there was no visible availability, then agents are unable to process any rebooking.

With regards to other carriers, there are agents who would assist in doing this, either in advance or to assist front line staff via telephone.

Search this Thread