Search

Airline rerouting a Tier Point Run

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Airline rerouting a Tier Point Run

Hi all,

Just a hypothetical scenario - I have a multi stage TPR booked in order gain Tier Points to keep my Gold. If for any reason, flights are cancelled and the Airline (AA) rebooks my trip, and the new routing has significantly less Tier Points based on the new journey - Am I entitled to claim for the original Tier points of my original trip?

And is there a difference if route changes are done well in advance of the flight or close to the flight date?

Thanks in advance!

RN
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If done well in advance then you won't get original routing credit.

If it happens pretty much on the day then you will.
MaxFlyer and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
If it's done in advance you hold the cards in terms of rebooking to a more favourable routing.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
If it's done in advance you hold the cards in terms of rebooking to a more favourable routing.
yes true. and I think rebooking an equivalent and some latitude may be possible. But I think you may experience some resistance if you say try to turn a LHR-LAX in to a LHR-JFK-BOS-DCA-MIA-PHX-SFO-LAX
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by ReynoldsNumber
Hi all,

Just a hypothetical scenario - I have a multi stage TPR booked in order gain Tier Points to keep my Gold. If for any reason, flights are cancelled and the Airline (AA) rebooks my trip, and the new routing has significantly less Tier Points based on the new journey - Am I entitled to claim for the original Tier points of my original trip?

And is there a difference if route changes are done well in advance of the flight or close to the flight date?

Thanks in advance!

RN
Is this as part of a BAH for double TP or a normal TP run. If the former make sure you are still BA flight numbered throughout.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
If done well in advance then you won't get original routing credit.

If it happens pretty much on the day then you will.
To clarify this point - I recently took a TP run AMS-LHR-JFK-LAX outbound. Due to delay in arrival into LHR, BA placed me on the direct LHR-LAX thus missing out on 140 TP. Am I able to ask for the 140 TP as my understanding that it was just tough luck and you obtained the TP for flights actually taken?

TIA
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
yes true. and I think rebooking an equivalent and some latitude may be possible. But I think you may experience some resistance if you say try to turn a LHR-LAX in to a LHR-JFK-BOS-DCA-MIA-PHX-SFO-LAX
That's outside the Maximum Permitted Mileage so yes they wouldn't normally rebook this.

But this can go the other way, I have a booking for SFO-PHX-SFO, I don't have to worry about TPs so it was booked as direct service, 80 TPs. A few Sundays back it got moved to SFO-LAX-PHX-SFO. Last Sunday it got further amended to SFO-LAX-PHX-LAX-SFO, so 160 TPs. All automated, just an email to say AA had changed the schedule.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GiddyKipper638
To clarify this point - I recently took a TP run AMS-LHR-JFK-LAX outbound. Due to delay in arrival into LHR, BA placed me on the direct LHR-LAX thus missing out on 140 TP. Am I able to ask for the 140 TP as my understanding that it was just tough luck and you obtained the TP for flights actually taken?
If it was on the day (which it sounds like) then ORC should apply, more information in the Original Routing Credit guide in the BA Forum Dashboard.
MaxFlyer, abligh and gormless like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:59 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Has there not been reports of BA rejecting (same
day cancelled) ORC recently?

5 weeks later and I’ve only just received an acknowledgement and “within 28 days” from BA and that’s after nagging them from every angle possible
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:07 am

One or two. But I think incorrectly rejected rather than some indication of a change in policy.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:21 am
y3d

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it was on the day (which it sounds like) then ORC should apply, more information in the Original Routing Credit guide in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Hmm… to add my data point: flight with BA paid with cash NBO-LHR-CDG; the NBO-LHR leg was cancelled 6 weeks before the flight and we were moved onto NBO-DOH-CDG with QR.

Tier points and Avios failed to materialise after waiting a month.
First person I talked to said the points will be credited after another 7 days for the flights flown. When this didn’t happen, I talked with chat support, and was told that ORC applies in this case and that the first person was incorrect.
5 days later, the tier points and avios for original booking appeared in my account (no sign of TPs or Avios for the second person on the booking).

So… which is it, then? I would certainly prefer the extra 100 TP.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by y3d
Hmm… to add my data point: flight with BA paid with cash NBO-LHR-CDG; the NBO-LHR leg was cancelled 6 weeks before the flight and we were moved onto NBO-DOH-CDG with QR.

Tier points and Avios failed to materialise after waiting a month.
First person I talked to said the points will be credited after another 7 days for the flights flown. When this didn’t happen, I talked with chat support, and was told that ORC applies in this case and that the first person was incorrect.
5 days later, the tier points and avios for original booking appeared in my account (no sign of TPs or Avios for the second person on the booking).

So… which is it, then? I would certainly prefer the extra 100 TP.
No ORC here. But you should have been credited with the avios and TPs based on the QR flights you did take - did you not get those?

Usually when an ORC is processed any points from the rebooked flights are then removed and the points for the originally booked flights are added - hence why sometimes you may be better off not submitting a claim for ORC.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
ORC may only apply if you get a INVOL reroute on day of travel or thereabouts, so unfortunately not in your case as it was 6 weeks out.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:58 am
y3d

Programs: BA
No ORC here. But you should have been credited with the avios and TPs based on the QR flights you did take - did you not get those?

Usually when an ORC is processed any points from the rebooked flights are then removed and the points for the originally booked flights are added - hence why sometimes you may be better off not submitting a claim for ORC.
I did not receive any points for these flights, this is why I submitted a request to receive the missing points (I did specify in the request the QR flights). I was expecting to receive points for the flights I have actually flown, instead was given the ones for the original routing (140+40).
Should I try an appeal for wrongly awarded points in this case?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by y3d
I did not receive any points for these flights, this is why I submitted a request to receive the missing points (I did specify in the request the QR flights). I was expecting to receive points for the flights I have actually flown, instead was given the ones for the original routing (140+40).
Should I try an appeal for wrongly awarded points in this case?
i don’t think that’s an option anymore if you have now received the points for the originally booked flights.

At the end of the day you are no worse off than you expected to be when you booked the flights originally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.