Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Booking Rebooked and Downgraded

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Avios Booking Rebooked and Downgraded

Hello, I had an avios booking from Manchester - Heathrow - Tokyo and return all in business for February.

It's been cancelled and rebooked by BA. My Outbound is now Manchester to Helsinki in economy on Finnair, then Helsinki to Tokyo on JAL in business. The return is Tokyo to Heathrow on JAL in business, then Heathrow to Manchester in economy.

Does anyone know why my short haul is in economy? If I call BA will they move these to business? Also do I have any rights to move these flights to alternative dates (they were booked in April)? Thanks for any assistance
Old Aug 7, 2022, 5:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Without knowing the dates it's difficult to know why you were put into economy. But yes, I would call and query that aspect, in case it's just a clerical error. Usually there is a -3 day to +14 wriggle room on moving flights from a cancellation, may be more depending on details such as the date of booking. You would probably be allowed to move to other dates if there is redemption availability
Old Aug 7, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Without knowing the dates it's difficult to know why you were put into economy. But yes, I would call and query that aspect, in case it's just a clerical error. Usually there is a -3 day to +14 wriggle room on moving flights from a cancellation, may be more depending on details such as the date of booking. You would probably be allowed to move to other dates if there is redemption availability
My understanding is that EC/UK261 rights in the event of a cancellation trumps both -3 / + 14, and ticket validity. { IE Any flight at any future date as long as there is available seats. }

Or did I miss something?
-Heathcliff- likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by The Geek
My understanding is that EC/UK261 rights in the event of a cancellation trumps both -3 / + 14, and ticket validity. { IE Any flight at any future date as long as there is available seats. }

Or did I miss something?
Avios bookings are flexible anyway as long as there is availkabillity, EC261 provides for next available flight - not dependant upon booking class being available - the -3/+14 exceeds this..
Old Aug 8, 2022, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by The Geek

Or did I miss something?
Sure, if there is Avios availability the OP will be allowed to rebook outside this window. If there is no availability, BA is not going to rebook into revenue class (and has no duty to do so under EU Reg. 261/04 unless it is the next available flight)
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, called BA and everything's sorted. Moved the outbound the day before and flying out with BA and return with JAL all in business.

On my return it's JAL from Tokyo to Heathrow T3, then BA from T5 to Manchester. When I check in at Tokyo will my bags be checked by JAL through to Manchester?

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA -> JAL in business seems like a fantastic upgrade? (as long as times suit). Bags should be checked through to Manchester as long as <24h or not overnight connection
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danmushman
BA -> JAL in business seems like a fantastic upgrade? (as long as times suit). Bags should be checked through to Manchester as long as <24h or not overnight connection
​​​​​​
Thank you, it's less than 25h.

Fortunately the timing of the JAL flight suits us just fine. Looking forward to trying them for the first time.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Avios bookings are flexible anyway as long as there is availkabillity, EC261 provides for next available flight - not dependant upon booking class being available - the -3/+14 exceeds this..
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Sure, if there is Avios availability the OP will be allowed to rebook outside this window. If there is no availability, BA is not going to rebook into revenue class (and has no duty to do so under EU Reg. 261/04 unless it is the next available flight)
Just noticed these replies. The EC261 cancellation rules are below, and I've argued them with BA successfully pre-covid. { During COVID they actually adjusted their global policy to meet 261 standards for the most part with the exception of some ambiguity around ticket validity. }

The airline must offer you, on a one off basis, a choice between:

1. the reimbursement of your ticket and, if you have a connecting flight, a return flight to the airport of departure at the earliest opportunity

2. re-routing to your final destination at the earliest opportunity or,

3. re-routing at a later date at your convenience under comparable transport conditions, subject to the availability of seats.

The only ambiguity in the wording of 261 is "later date" which could be either interpreted as later than departure date of the original flight, or later than the cancellation date.

If an agent ever tries to fob you off with -3 / +14 policy, advise them that what they have just said is in breach of the passenger rights laws and ask them to pass it to a supervisor.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA is only obligated to take the passenger regardless of booking class availability at earliest opportunity

Beyond that, there is entitlement to rebook later, but only subject to availability. This means that it is irrelevent for an award booking, since award bookings are flexible anyway. For a business award booking, it would be subject to 'U' class availability. If 'U' class is available, then it is a standard change that would be available anyway
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA is only obligated to take the passenger regardless of booking class availability at earliest opportunity

Beyond that, there is entitlement to rebook later, but only subject to availability. This means that it is irrelevent for an award booking, since award bookings are flexible anyway. For a business award booking, it would be subject to 'U' class availability. If 'U' class is available, then it is a standard change that would be available anyway
I think you are attempting to put a restriction on the Regulation that does not exist. The Regulation says “subject to the availability of seats”; there is nothing implied to suggest the new reservation must be in the same fare class.
lorcancoyle likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
For rebooking award tickets to later, "subject to availability of seats" is interpreted by the airlines that award availability needs to be present for such rebooking to happen, i.e. you will not get rebooked unless you find a travel date with award availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.