Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA/OW Ski destinations recommendations (Feb 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA/OW Ski destinations recommendations (Feb 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Well, you can tell the locals to book air tickets to DIA and see what happens.
It will probably work fine for them. Stick “flights from JFK to DIA” into Google and see what comes back, you might be a little surprised.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Not normally pushed as a ski destination except by easyJet but think about Nice. Very high frequency on BA/U2. Good destinations within 90 minutes - Isola 2000, Auron, Limone etc with plenty of smaller ones. Good intermediate skiing, great scenery. Almost guaranteed fabulous snow due altitude and micro climate and there is the added bonus that it may be 20C on the coast at the same time so you can spend the day shopping, sightseeing or on the beach in Nice/Monaco/Cannes etc.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
BA at Gatwick reintroduces Geneva from 31 October and Salzburg from 4 December as well as making Nice year round.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Big vote from me for the Dolomites in Italy. Has been our default trip for the last twenty years, staying in San Cassiano in the Alta Badia area and I still ski new stuff every time I go. Prices reasonable, food outstanding, ski terrain for everyone, scenery utterly stunning (you'll want to come back in the summer) and 12 resorts / 1200km of piste on one lift pass. The area is so big that I've skied all day in one direction, stayed overnight and then skied all the way back the next day.

Have tended to fly with BA to VCE (smooth & not super busy, 2.5-3 hour drive), sometimes INN (chaos, 2 hour drive, weekend flights only) and very occasionally MUC (German efficiency, 4 hour drive) if we are doing some Austrian resorts too. Plenty of airport transfer options but hiring a car that can fit skis is great if you want to base yourself in a different resort for the day.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
I assume you've never heard of DEN? Or is OP supposed to ski on some sand dunes in Qatar?

As for the subject at hand:

Sweden: Åre. Off the beaten path from a British perspective and cheaper than the previously mentioned Lillehammer option. But maybe it's not swanky enough compared to the Alps or Colorado. It's really down to budget what one should recommend.
Went to Åre some 25 years ago so definitely not off the beaten path for the Brits. It was however quite expensive for day to day living
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Is / would Verona suitable as an option for getting to the Dolomites also? Perhaps comparable to VCE as an entry point to that region.

This thread makes me want to go skiing, the last time was in 2019 and it's time to dust those boots off!
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by pythonisman
Is / would Verona suitable as an option for getting to the Dolomites also? Perhaps comparable to VCE as an entry point to that region.
Never used it but yes I think so, especially for the western side of the Dolomites, e.g. Val Gardena, Alpe di Suisi, Val di Fassa, etc. It's close to the A22 motorway that eventually goes over the Brenner Pass into Austria, which makes it good for somewhere like Madonna di Campiglio too or a multi-resort trip covering both the Dolomites and the western end of Austria. Alta Badia, Arabba, Kronplatz & Cortina are easier to get to from the Venice side.
pythonisman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.