Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Refund for flight proactively booked after on-board cancellation announcement?

Old Aug 5, 22, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Volare Premium, Boots Meal Deal Valued Customer

I was on the 1515 RTM-LCY BA4456 this afternoon. Delayed by 1.5 hours due to a late incoming aircraft. We boarded, did not go anywhere, and eventually the announcement was made that the flight was to be cancelled due to a sick member of crew.

As I was sat in 2A I could follow the discussion between flight deck, crew, and dispatcher. The moment I realised this flight was to be cancelled I immediately proactively booked a ticket for the 1915 RTM-LCY BA4458 as I have to be in London for a wedding tomorrow morning so I did not wish to take the risk to see what flight and when BA would book me onto.

While waiting for the baggage to be returned I got the automatic rebooking notification, also for the 1915 RTM-LCY. This booking is the one I was put on at the check-in desk.

Hoping to consult the collective wisdom of FT on the following: Do I have any recourse for a refund on the proactively booked ticket? Presumably they assigned it to one of the many standby passengers after I checked in at the desk. Can't resort to the usual 24h cooling off period as it is within 24h of travelling. What about EU261 compensation for the delayed/cancelled flight?

Off to the gate now - hopefully with more success this time around!

Last edited by Caranmellon; Aug 5, 22 at 11:04 am
Old Aug 5, 22, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by Caranmellon View Post
I was on the 1515 RTM-LCY BA4456 this afternoon. Delayed by 1.5 hours due to a late incoming aircraft. We boarded, did not go anywhere, and eventually the announcement was made that the flight was to be cancelled due to a sick member of crew.

As I was sat in 2A I could follow the discussion between flight deck, crew, and dispatcher. The moment I realised this flight was to be cancelled I immediately proactively booked a ticket for the 1915 RTM-LCY BA4458 as I have to be in London for a wedding tomorrow morning so I did not wish to take the risk to see what flight and when BA would book me onto.

While waiting for the baggage to be returned I got the automatic rebooking notification, also for the 1915 RTM-LCY. This booking is the one I was put on at the check-in desk.

Hoping to consult the collective wisdom of FT on the following: Do I have any recourse for a refund on the proactively booked ticket? Presumably they assigned it to one of the many standby passengers after I checked in at the desk. Can't resort to the usual 24h cooling off period as it is within 24h of travelling. What about EU261?

I think you can take a voucher currently - https://www.britishairways.com/trave...1&wfpId=covidn
Old Aug 5, 22, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AdBoy View Post
I think you can take a voucher currently - https://www.britishairways.com/trave...1&wfpId=covidn
Brilliant, thank you! Have just done so!
trolleymusic likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 11:10 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Great!

It doesn't seem to have been highly publicised (either at ba.com or elsewhere) but for anyone traveling before September 30th, you should be able to take a voucher as before.
Old Aug 5, 22, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Caranmellon View Post

Hoping to consult the collective wisdom of FT on the following: Do I have any recourse for a refund on the proactively booked ticket? Presumably they assigned it to one of the many standby passengers after I checked in at the desk. Can't resort to the usual 24h cooling off period as it is within 24h of travelling. What about EU261 compensation for the delayed/cancelled flight?

Isnt there a 24 hour cancellation period?
Old Aug 5, 22, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Will100 View Post
There is, but you have to get on the phone to do it.
Old Aug 5, 22, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Will100 View Post
It effectively stops at 24 hours to departure. So if you book at 24 hros 15 minutes to departure you effectively could have sorted this out, but booking at 23 hrs 55 minutes would be totally different. Academic in this case since there were other options, but personally I would advise against rushing if there are seats on the next service, accepting there was a wedding at stake here. Usually BA's robots find the obvious option.
Caranmellon likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It effectively stops at 24 hours to departure. So if you book at 24 hros 15 minutes to departure you effectively could have sorted this out, but booking at 23 hrs 55 minutes would be totally different. Academic in this case since there were other options, but personally I would advise against rushing if there are seats on the next service, accepting there was a wedding at stake here. Usually BA's robots find the obvious option.
In any other situation I would indeed have waited to see what BA offered. Glad I did sort something out proactively as others were moved to Amsterdam flights later today (which they probably won't have made due to AMS being a pain at moment) or to flights later this weekend.

Enfin, made it to LCY 4.5 hours later than planned and BA have already issued the Evoucher, so disaster averted!

Last edited by Caranmellon; Aug 5, 22 at 1:22 pm
Old Aug 5, 22, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Think you could have refused rebooking and taken refund for the cancelled flight and used the new ticket - but presumably that wouldnt have been the best outcome financially given other options mentioned

Search this Thread