European Jaunts from Edinburgh via LHR

Old Aug 5, 22, 2:11 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
The OP appears willing and intent to breach their duty-free limit without paying the requisite duty, therefore breaking UK law. This thread should be closed.
Old Aug 5, 22, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
The OP appears willing and intent to breach their duty-free limit without paying the requisite duty, therefore breaking UK law. This thread should be closed.
I'm sure you report yourself to the Police and demand to be fined the appropriate amount when you break the speed limit ?
Old Aug 5, 22, 3:36 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Butts View Post
I'm sure you report yourself to the Police and demand to be fined the appropriate amount when you break the speed limit ?
Endorsing or condoning law breaking is against FT rules.

What I do or dont do is irrelevant to your situation, plus you seem to be assuming I break the speed limit?
Old Aug 5, 22, 9:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
If you fly from a European destination to Edinburgh via LHR you don't see your bag until you are back in Edinburgh and go through Customs on entering the UK in London without it.

is this a weakness in the system or are they not interested in someone with 600 Bensons ?
All of my recent GLA and EDI arrivals from LHR have had quite a few customs officers waiting by the carousel.

Back in my days of flying Swiss I’d fly PRG-ZRH-LCY and would get duty free in PRG and ZRH just a litre of spirits but I’d always go to the red phone in LCY if customs not manned and once I got customs at Liverpool and once at Stanstead. I told them I didn’t realise I couldn’t buy 2 lots and was told it’s easily done.
Old Aug 5, 22, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Endorsing or condoning law breaking is against FT rules.

What I do or dont do is irrelevant to your situation, plus you seem to be assuming I break the speed limit?
For the avoidance of doubt I am not condoning or encouraging anyone to break the law, merely looking at flaws in the system.

Most Countries have a limit of 200 Duty Free Cigarettes and a Boarding Pass is required for purchases yet they will sell you more than that at Airports with just one pass. This is applicable both in the UK and Europe, If they were really serious about it surely they would restrict purchases in line with allowances to each individual. That must be quite simple to implement with todays modern technology ?

Back in the days when it was legal to import as many Cigarettes as you liked provided they were paid for, transported by and for your own personal use from the EU I had a case go astray with 4000 or 20 Sleeves of Benson & Hedges from Luxembourg . This was worth well over 1000 at Luxembourg Prices and 2000 at UK value.

I was travelling from Luxembourg to Edinburgh via LHR and the case didn't make it to Edinburgh .

However after going through the normal procedures it was couriered up to me in Scotland with the contents intact. I don't know if they looked inside it but the courier was grinning as he handed my precious stock over.
Old Aug 6, 22, 1:09 am

What a life people must lead when they would go to the effort to try and have a thread closed just because someone wants a few cigarettes at a lower price. When did society become so vindictive? This narc mentality really does lower my faith in humanity.

Anyway, off to look out for any neighbours watering their plants and get straight onto 999 or, as I call it, 'speed dial 1'.
Sprodo and Butts like this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FT01 View Post
What a life people must lead when they would go to the effort to try and have a thread closed just because someone wants a few cigarettes at a lower price. When did society become so vindictive? This narc mentality really does lower my faith in humanity.

Anyway, off to look out for any neighbours watering their plants and get straight onto 999 or, as I call it, 'speed dial 1'.
next thing you know people here will be tut-tut'ing those who have a drink in the lounge at 7am or take a mini can of coca-cola with them from the cooler!
FT01 and danmushman like this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 4:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Nobody likes a grass
Sprodo, dansound and FT01 like this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
All of my recent GLA and EDI arrivals from LHR have had quite a few customs officers waiting by the carousel.
Practising for independence?
Old Aug 6, 22, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

'Stub out' the verbal guys.

As for sticking to short haul economy when Gold? Makes sense to me unless you need the extra tier points.
Old Aug 6, 22, 11:12 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Most Countries have a limit of 200 Duty Free Cigarettes and a Boarding Pass is required for purchases yet they will sell you more than that at Airports with just one pass. This is applicable both in the UK and Europe, If they were really serious about it surely they would restrict purchases in line with allowances to each individual. That must be quite simple to implement with todays modern technology ?
It's legal to import more than 200, you just need to pay the UK duty on them when arriving.

There are signs in some mainland European airport duty free shops reminding you of the duty free limit for various countries.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
It's legal to import more than 200, you just need to pay the UK duty on them when arriving.

There are signs in some mainland European airport duty free shops reminding you of the duty free limit for various countries.
Who in their right mind is going to do that ?

It rather defeats the object of the exercise.
Old Aug 6, 22, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who in their right mind is going to do that ?

It rather defeats the object of the exercise.
Come and live here where fags are cheap as chips. So no need to break the law unless you're a politician. .
Old Aug 8, 22, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

I know you have all been waiting with baited breath ....

There was no visible Customs presence on arrival from Cork at Edinburgh Airport ( 90 Minutes late ) at 1.15am today.

Conversely on arrival in Cork they were asking if you had any cigarettes and putting all the luggage through a scanner to establish if you were telling porkies on the quantity - totally different from Dublin.

Search this Thread