FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Warning: ‘G-GAT’s at LHR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2089520-warning-g-gat-s-lhr.html)

TheJayHatch Aug 3, 2022 11:15 pm

Warning: ‘G-GAT’s at LHR

Just checking my seating for an upcoming flight this weekend, and I was surprised to see row 1 in the GAT layout. Shocker. A review of FR24 shows that GATM and GATP are currently at or due to be at LHR. I was surprised. I’ve not experienced this - is it common? And it will catch out an unsuspecting civilian, or (perish the thought) a momentarily inattentive FTer…

vectismanpaul Aug 3, 2022 11:46 pm

And the problem is? Actually row 1 gives you great leg room. G-GAT series 177 seats all others 180seats. Oh yes I may have to look at the cabin crew! Good grief!

Even greater shock, several regular LHR aircraft are regularly flying out of Gatwick!

nivsy Aug 4, 2022 12:13 am

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul (Post 34484636)
And the problem is? Actually row 1 gives you great leg room. G-GAT series 177 seats all others 180seats. Oh yes I may have to look at the cabin crew! Good grief!

Even greater shock, several regular LHR aircraft are regularly flying out of Gatwick!

Actually, tbf to the Op I think the seats are awful in 1A and 1C in this layout. It's cold in winter. People that are boarding if you are already in your seat tend to kick you or at least their roll on bags trundle around your feet. Advice is be last on if sitting there. Once airborne and the signs off for the duration of the flight you can expect people hanging around "in your space" while trying to access and exit and wait for the loos or those adventurous enough to come to forward galley for a chat with crew etc .(and it's noisy area). Seen this, done this seat and hated it! Row 2 d and f is the way to go on these planes.

TheJayHatch Aug 4, 2022 12:19 am

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul (Post 34484636)

OK, we’re taking that route!

As is fairly typical of FTers, I am pretty specific (obsessive?) about my seating on an aircraft. As someone who has to endure it on a regular basis, it creates a nice calm feeling after the inevitable bouts of chaos at either end, whether they be queues, delays, or both. For me personally the problem is 1A, which is my default and where my PA will normally place me, is a reduced legroom seat with zero privacy, and on this aircraft I would prefer 2D on these frames as it has great legroom. I don’t always have time to double check until the airport, although if this is a regular swap out I would put it in the ever expanding list of addendums. I’ve never seen these aircraft, in the 6-7 years they have been operational for BA, at LHR. They were arranged as this specifically to ensure the LGW operation continued: as I was told at the time these two extra seats made all the difference to the business plan. It is not usual for aircraft to swap between the airports, but really my question was whether or not this was (a) new and (b) should be expected herein.

But thank you nonetheless for your opinion.

TheJayHatch Aug 4, 2022 12:22 am

*I mean 2F!

KARFA Aug 4, 2022 12:27 am

Yes it is common to the GATx series (and a few other European airlines have similar seating).

They were exclusively based at LGW before covid, then some appeared at LHR over the last few years, but I think they are all back at LGW now.

vectismanpaul Aug 4, 2022 12:41 am

This summer there have been quite a few A320 swaps between LHR and LGW. Even pre-Covid regular LHR aircraft were based at LGW for the summer. Swaps also occur for maintenance at either airport. Recently as the final G-GAT aircraft have returned to U.K. from storage in Madrid they have based at LHR for a while to see how they settle back into regular flying. However the two currently at LHR have been back a while. Aircraft occasionally swap via the Glasgow domestic or more usually direct positioning flights. Things may settle when BA Euroflyer has its AOC properly settled and it’s regular fleet
allocated. However swaps could continue for operational and maintenance reasons. This is also the case for the 777 operation at LHR and LGW.

vectismanpaul Aug 4, 2022 12:47 am

I appreciate the OP may have a preference for a certain seat and I respect that wish. I guess it was the word ‘warning’ that irritated me a little. I apologise. Regular posters will know I tend to be a little protective of the Gatwick operation (not that I have any vested interest in it more just a personal preference) which I feel is looked down upon by LHR regulars. . Just one of my little quirks. Best wishes.

bisonrav Aug 4, 2022 1:39 am

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch (Post 34484600)
Just checking my seating for an upcoming flight this weekend, and I was surprised to see row 1 in the GAT layout. Shocker. A review of FR24 shows that GATM and GATP are currently at or due to be at LHR. I was surprised. I’ve not experienced this - is it common? And it will catch out an unsuspecting civilian, or (perish the thought) a momentarily inattentive FTer…

Stay strong. Thoughts and prayers.

gustavmahler Aug 4, 2022 1:44 am

I had one of these LHR-HAM in March. The crew described it as "one of our more senior ladies in the fleet".

bisonrav Aug 4, 2022 1:56 am

I've got one today, but ex LGW, which I guess is fair enough. They are chilly in the winter, but refreshingly cool in the summer (it is currently summer). And great reception for galley FM which is always interesting.

The standard config has it's drawbacks, including backpack strike bruising to the right shoulder for those who prefer 1C to 1A, and the bulkhead not allowing full stretched legs (you can sneak them round the corner from 1C which is why I accept the bruises).

Oxon Flyer Aug 4, 2022 2:14 am

For everyone who, like me, is thinking that the OP should maybe have paused for breath and actually explained what it was that made GAT row 1 a “shocker”, here is the layout :

https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-airbus-a320ceo-type-20e

There is no bulkhead in front, so row 1 passengers are, In effect, sitting in the vestibule.

srbrenna Aug 4, 2022 2:21 am

It’s a dreadful layout. I was scheduled these ex-GAT (!) recently. Naturally I selected 2D&F on the outbound to then face an aircraft swap while still in 2D&F. On the way back I went for 1A&C and didn’t get an aircraft swap.

TedToToe Aug 4, 2022 2:45 am

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul (Post 34484719)
I appreciate the OP may have a preference for a certain seat and I respect that wish. I guess it was the word ‘warning’ that irritated me a little. I apologise. Regular posters will know I tend to be a little protective of the Gatwick operation (not that I have any vested interest in it more just a personal preference) which I feel is looked down upon by LHR regulars. . Just one of my little quirks. Best wishes.

The problem here is that BA does not have a consistent hard product between LHR and LGW. I have yet to experience 1A on the 'GAT' fleet; although coincidentally I've selected that seat for my return from MLA tomorrow! My real dislike is the exBMI 'MID' fleet, as those seats are just so uncomfortable! As much as I am sceptical about the purchase of the Max, it might be this that better aligns the hard product, finally!

bisonrav Aug 4, 2022 2:47 am

I have to say having flown a few MAX now that it's by far the best narrowbody experience I've ever had. Really nice cabins, masses of overhead space, and quiet. I'd be delighted if BA switched en masse, though they won't.