Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning: ‘G-GAT’s at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
They were exclusively based at LGW before covid, then some appeared at LHR over the last few years, but I think they are all back at LGW now.
I thought I saw Tango Papa at the gate on Friday and indeed it went to PEG and ALG yesterday from LHR. I'm in the "don't understand the fuss" category, it's very clear from MMB when you get a G-GAT. I seem to recall that ALG is a special case here, given the heat and heavy baggage on that route, and that G-GATs work better than some of the alternatives.
KARFA, SxMan and Radiation Station like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I have to say having flown a few MAX now that it's by far the best narrowbody experience I've ever had. Really nice cabins, masses of overhead space, and quiet. I'd be delighted if BA switched en masse, though they won't.
i am led to believe that the 737 Max order is more than likely destined for Vueling. I think most of the rest A320/A321neo orders will go to BA. As always, I could be wrong. Personally, I would prefer BA to stick with Airbus. Just another personal quirk!
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-airbus-a320ceo-type-20e

There is no bulkhead in front, so row 1 passengers are, In effect, sitting in the vestibule.
There are some other difference too. The exits are at at Rows 12/13 rather than 11/12 and the toilets are in the traditional location ahead of the aft doors rather than SpaceFlex’d to the rear wall.

The later Space-Flexing of the LHR A320 fleet means these “high density” A320s now seat fewer passengers than their mainline counterparts. I guess 3 extra seats doesn’t tip the balance for investment and the arrival of 737-8200s is going to herald the end of the G-GATx fleet anyway.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:13 am

[QUOTE=BrianDromey;34484891]There are some other difference too. The exits are at at Rows 12/13 rather than 11/12 and the toilets are in the traditional location ahead of the aft doors rather than SpaceFlex’d to the rear wall.

The later Space-Flexing of the LHR A320 fleet means these “high density” A320s now seat fewer passengers than their mainline counterparts. I guess 3 extra seats doesn’t tip the balance for investment and the arrival of 737-8200s is going to herald the end of the G-GATx fleet anyway.[/QUOTE

I don’t think you should assume the 737 Max is for BA!
I think it is more likely that new A320/A321neos will go to LHR and the ‘younger A320/A321ceo will go to Gatwick. These more likely to replace the G-GATs and G-MIDs

Last edited by vectismanpaul; Aug 4, 2022 at 3:19 am
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I have to say having flown a few MAX now that it's by far the best narrowbody experience I've ever had. Really nice cabins, masses of overhead space, and quiet. I'd be delighted if BA switched en masse, though they won't.
Is it any different from the A32Xneo? Airbus always seemed roomier than the 737's.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
i am led to believe that the 737 Max order is more than likely destined for Vueling. I think most of the rest A320/A321neo orders will go to BA. As always, I could be wrong. Personally, I would prefer BA to stick with Airbus. Just another personal quirk!
IIRC, BA LGW was specifically mentioned in the original press release at the time of the LOI. Obviously, it is IAG purchasing these aircraft and of late opinion seems to be more divided. Personally, I think the separate AOC makes it more likely that we will see them at LGW.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Ach bring back the 737 400 series...now that was always fun and wonderful service! 😊🤭🤣
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe
IIRC, BA LGW was specifically mentioned in the original press release at the time of the LOI. Obviously, it is IAG purchasing these aircraft and of late opinion seems to be more divided. Personally, I think the separate AOC makes it more likely that we will see them at LGW.
Yes but times have changed. Several sources within BA are of the opinion BA will stick with Airbus.Interestingly BA mainline and Euroflyer both advertising for direct entry First Officers to A320 fleet for 2023. No mention of the 737 max.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
[QUOTE=corporate-wage-slave;34484878 it's very clear from MMB when you get a G-GAT.[/QUOTE]

This is true, hence my sudden panic this morning, but having never experienced the GAT frames from LHR I had not added this variable into the ever expanding algorithm of seat variables my long-suffering assistant has to commit to memory
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
For me personally the problem is 1A, which is my default and where my PA will normally place me, is a reduced legroom seat with zero privacy, and on this aircraft I would prefer 2D on these frames as it has great legroom.
I can sympathise, the problem I have with my PA is I always request 1A on all my flights but it doesn’t always oblige to it.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I just checked the speedbird.online database. There have been 104 G-GAT flights from/to LHR in the last month. No specific rotations, but fairly ALG, GLA & PSA heavy.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
I would say left side row 1 on the narrowbody Airbuses - particularly 1C - is my least favourite seat. If you board with group 1 you're just inviting your knees to be hit for the next 30 minutes by every roll on bag in ET.
Plus I use the tablet holders they have in the seat backs, and I like to have the option to have my hand luggage to hand rather than it having to be stored overhead. Row 2 all the way.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by danmushman
I would say left side row 1 on the narrowbody Airbuses - particularly 1C - is my least favourite seat.
For some reason 1C is championed by quite a number of our correspondents here. Presume these are the same who enter a nice restaurant and request a table right by the door, the kitchen, the cloakroom and the toilets ....
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
For some reason 1C has been championed by quite a number of out correspondents here. Presume these are the same who enter a nice restaurant and request a table right by the door, the kitchen, the cloakroom and the toilets ....
We learnt the hard way earlier this year (I think from FT advice), thought we were so fancy in row 1......
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For some reason 1C is championed by quite a number of our correspondents here. Presume these are the same who enter a nice restaurant and request a table right by the door, the kitchen, the cloakroom and the toilets ....
It's more interesting to see the non-suggestions from those regulars here who have thereby chosen not to say anything.

By the way, 2F is a truly awful seat, you get a horrific draught up your ankles, probably from all the hot air from the galley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.