BA LHR 5 Gold Wing Security

Old Aug 3, 22, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

BA LHR 5 Gold Wing Security

I understand LHR is a bit of a sh*tshow at the moment, but has BA managed to preserve some sort of normality at the LHR T5 Gold Wing, or are queues through that security line also a bit of a farce?
Old Aug 3, 22, 8:30 pm

I went through it last Friday. They had 1 of the 2 lanes open. There were probably 8 staff there killing around but I found they were particularly slow. The queue wasn't long maybe 7 people but it took much longer than I'd expect. Not BA's fault though
TheRealBabushka and Dave_C like this.
Old Aug 3, 22, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jay121 View Post
I went through it last Friday. They had 1 of the 2 lanes open. There were probably 8 staff there killing around but I found they were particularly slow. The queue wasn't long maybe 7 people but it took much longer than I'd expect. Not BA's fault though
Thank you Jay. If you're connecting at LHR T5, is it worth going through immigration (e-gates applicable passport) and entering security via the Gold Wing? Or rough it out in the standard transit pax security line?

i.e. Does the sh*t fest extend to the e-gates line? Has the post-Covid world messed that up too?

Last edited by TheRealBabushka; Aug 3, 22 at 8:53 pm
Old Aug 3, 22, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka View Post
I understand LHR is a bit of a sh*tshow at the moment, but has BA managed to preserve some sort of normality at the LHR T5 Gold Wing, or are queues through that security line also a bit of a farce?
Went through today for the first time.. They only one lane open. There were four or five people ahead of me and it took around 4 mins to get through For sure much quicker than the business fast track or regular lines thats for sure! Not sure if it was slow compared to normal.
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old Aug 3, 22, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lev441 View Post
Went through today for the first time.. They only one lane open. There were four or five people ahead of me and it took around 4 mins to get through For sure much quicker than the business fast track or regular lines thats for sure! Not sure if it was slow compared to normal.
Thank you Lev441.
Old Aug 4, 22, 12:16 am

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
I had an amazing experience last Wednesday morning (~7.30) - both lanes open and zero people ahead of me. Breezed through. Best experience of it ever!
Old Aug 4, 22, 12:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
The reductions in passenger numbers tha HAL requested is meaning t5 at least is not amy more of a mess than it was pre covid

You cannot by tickets at short notice but that is the only issue we have seen on this board in t5 for weeks. If you already have tickets flights are flying unless they go.tech. transit security lanes are opening back up

I do not think it is the mess it was a few weeks ago
Old Aug 4, 22, 1:22 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I've been through a few times recently, no wait, straight through.
Old Aug 4, 22, 1:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
TFW has been fine over the last few years, and yes if connecting I would usually go landside unless immigration was terrible. Bear in mind TFW security appears to be closing around 4-5pm recently.
Old Aug 4, 22, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses!
Old Aug 4, 22, 2:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
TFW has been fine over the last few years, and yes if connecting I would usually go landside unless immigration was terrible. Bear in mind TFW security appears to be closing around 4-5pm recently.
I've been told that they are now managing to avoid that, though tactically it can happen. It's not hugely problematic since there are so few passengers after about 16:00 hrs that no-one is going to spend long in security whichever channel they use.
KARFA and Radiation Station like this.
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by jay121 View Post
I had that same experience a couple of weeks ago. Lots of staff, but they seemed to process the bags far more slowly than 'normal'. I don't know why. Apparently one of the machines was broken as well.
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
It isn't great if you're there for an early flight, and you're trying to get through the First Wing before 6am. Before that time, only one security lane is open, and the second only opens at 6am. I've had several recent experiences where the queue has extended past the booths where you show your boarding pass. Not BA's fault, though - I suspect it is some agreement with the LHR security staff that only one security lane is open before 6am.
Old Aug 4, 22, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHons diamond
All three of my Heathrow departures in the last two weeks have been excellent. Each time through First wing with no delay. No problem finding seat in lounge, food/drink delivered within a few minutes of ordering. But they have all been mid morning/lunchtime flights so perhaps outside the peak. For the most recent flight (1100 departure on Tuesday, through security at 0830), the normal security channels were also very quick for family on the same flight as me.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Aug 4, 22, 5:18 am

For a t5 to t3, would you just do transit bus and fast track (if that exists for transit pax)

or, exit immigration at t5, transfer to t3, and do fast track?

Search this Thread