Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA LHR 5 Gold Wing Security

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
I understand LHR is a bit of a sh*tshow at the moment, but has BA managed to preserve some sort of normality at the LHR T5 Gold Wing, or are queues through that security line also a bit of a farce?
Not sure why you say this? very out of date statement being rehashed.

Flew from there Sunday at 2pm - 1 person ahead of me at security. total of 5 mins from lift to lounge
krispy84 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
For a t5 to t3, would you just do transit bus and fast track (if that exists for transit pax)

or, exit immigration at t5, transfer to t3, and do fast track?
Air side transit bus.

The land side connection involves significantly more walking. Maybe 15-20+ min of walking?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Not sure why you say this? very out of date statement being rehashed.

Flew from there Sunday at 2pm - 1 person ahead of me at security. total of 5 mins from lift to lounge
+1 👍

Last Saturday at 1pm, brief wait to check a bag and then straight through First Wing security, no wait and both lines open. Flounge was maybe 40% full.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
For a t5 to t3, would you just do transit bus and fast track (if that exists for transit pax)

or, exit immigration at t5, transfer to t3, and do fast track?
No fast track after transit.
Did it today (Thursday)- took 2 hours 10 mins approx - from a c gate in T5 to the shops in T3.
Only 4 scanning lanes open in T3 -they had to stop people entering the hall the queue was so long
New born babies (1 with no buggy- just being held) and people in wheelchairs stuck in the queue for 1.5 hours plus
Lots of people shouting they were missing their flights (I am sure some were)
The officer sent a woman to the back of the queue for queue jumping by ducking under the barriers (that was a highlight) "Go back, no right to the back, no you cant go back to there, right to the back."

A woman in a green/blue tracksuit screamed and hurled abuse at the staff for almost 20 minutes when her bags were pulled for secondary screening- If that was you you need to be thoroughly ashamed and think about the example you were setting your children. She demanded a manager- then screamed abuse at them. In their face and screaming. In any other airport (or pub) the woman would have been arrested, they should have arrested her. She ended up being prioritised and it made more people shout.

Some of the staff seemed upset at the abuse they were getting.

My bag and the bag of the chap behind me were pulled over (my tray had a small handbag and my sealed clear toiletry bag that had already been through scanning twice and I was surprised). The backlog of secondary screening closed 1 lane as there were 2 agents checking and about 15 bags backed up. My bag was at the top waiting to go down the ramp which was then effectively closed the entire machine and I chatted to the scanning chap as I was stuck next to him. I did ask if I could just take the handbag back and empty it and rescan but he said no (understandably). The guy next to me missed his flight as we waited 20 -30 minutes for the secondary screening- both our bags were handed to us with nothing at all wrong with them ( everything in order, under 100ml and in a sealed LHR clear bag) . She showed me on the screen that my toiletry bag had a red square on it on the screen and that was what she had to look at -but there was nothing there- it was just a bag of random packed sub 100ml toiletries. She visually checked it and handed it straight to me and thanked me for not shouting at her!

Almost everyone pulled over had toiletries in their main bags and not in a clear bag (but of course that wasn't their fault) Bottles of spirits coming out of cases, some odd liquor in novelty bottles, lots still in gift shop bags. People with multiple clear bags of toiletries.

Lots of very important people shouting how important they were and trying to skip the queue. Apparently having 5 teenage children makes you a priority for some unfathomable reason (it didn't get them through)

It was horrendous and the behaviour of the passengers was unacceptable.
dcmike likes this.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Aug 4, 2022 at 11:32 pm
Old Aug 5, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
No fast track after transit.
Did it today (Thursday)- took 2 hours 10 mins approx - from a c gate in T5 to the shops in T3.
Only 4 scanning lanes open in T3 -they had to stop people entering the hall the queue was so long
New born babies (1 with no buggy- just being held) and people in wheelchairs stuck in the queue for 1.5 hours plus
Lots of people shouting they were missing their flights (I am sure some were)
The officer sent a woman to the back of the queue for queue jumping by ducking under the barriers (that was a highlight) "Go back, no right to the back, no you cant go back to there, right to the back."
Unfortunately, this has been my experience at T3 transfer screening recently. It's just horrific - few lanes open, long lines, and a lot of shouting/unhappiness. The last time I went through they had people announcing what needed to be done, i.e. take out liquids, take out your laptops, etc. A few people complained about their flights getting ready to depart and the staff brought them to the front. Unfortunately, without exception, each group brought to the front turned out to be completely unprepared for screening and held up the line for everyone else. It's really a shambles.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 1:56 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by jay121
I went through it last Friday. They had 1 of the 2 lanes open. There were probably 8 staff there killing around but I found they were particularly slow. The queue wasn't long maybe 7 people but it took much longer than I'd expect. Not BA's fault though
Why is it not BA's fault, out of interest? - i'd assume Passengers having to go through secondary screening? I was at EDI yesterday and whilst security was well staffed and the queue was short, i'd say 75% of bags required secondary screening which caused a massive backlog.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
Originally Posted by JackDann
Why is it not BA's fault, out of interest?
Its not BA staff manning the security channels
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:24 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
Its not BA staff manning the security channels
Fair enough. I'd have thought that as BA run T5 they have a certain element of ownership when it comes to things like ensuring security channels are adequately staffed.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JackDann
Fair enough. I'd have thought that as BA run T5 they have a certain element of ownership when it comes to things like ensuring security channels are adequately staffed.
not really. It’s HAL who runs security in all four terminals.
JD1905 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.