Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling and rebooking using avios

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Cancelling and rebooking using avios

Hi all,

I have a booking on Cathay Pacific which was bought with Avios.

The possibility of Hong Kong being open for the time of my booking is looking less and less likely, so I’m looking to cancel and rebook something else with my Avios.

What’s the best way to do this without having to phone BA? I’m loathed to wait on hold given all their issues at the moment.

I notice you can cancel the booking via the BA app. As I need my tax paid refunded (minus the cancellation fee), has anyone had any experience in cancelling via the app and receiving the tax refund (minus the cancellation fee), or am I best calling them up?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
When did you book, and when were you due to travel? If booked during BwC and travelling before the end of September, using the online cancellation will result in an avios refund and FULL cash refund (no fee).

If not, chat works ok, the counter does tick down.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
When did you book, and when were you due to travel? If booked during BwC and travelling before the end of September, using the online cancellation will result in an avios refund and FULL cash refund (no fee).

If not, chat works ok, the counter does tick down.
thanks for the quick response bisonrav!

booked on 7th April 2022, flying 12th Feb 2023
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
OK, you're outside BWC so you'll have to call or use chat. I'd use the latter, I found it quite good.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 1:14 pm

Should I cancel and rebook, or call/chat in to change? Former option would be easier, but I'm not certain about the fee change schedule etc. and am concerned it might cost more.

Itinerary: 2 persons, PHL-CUN-PHL RT on one PNR. Booked in June 2023 for travel in Dec 2023, wanting to change to August 2023.

Total government, authority and airport charges: 102.68 USD per person

Does it make a difference if I call in to change it, or just cancel and rebook for the dates I want?
Old Jul 15, 2023, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's going to cost you USD55 per person however you do it, that's the change fee. I would probably call up because a good agent will be able to do this without the temporary loss of your refunded Avios. But before doing that, just check to see if by switching to the old layout (top line on the desktop website) you can do it all yourself, as a change date option without cancellation. Clearly you need availability for the new dates.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
I recall that previously it cost me £35 to cancel an avios flight booked to fly on BA but then for some time I was charged only £1 cancellation fee. Today I called (couldn't cancel online) and was again charged £35 to cancel a flight I had for Monday. I'm confused and would be grateful for your advice. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
I have a related question which I hope is ok to ask here,

If your Avios booking is part Avios, part cash, can it still be cancelled in the same way an all Avios booking can be cancelled?

ie, Avios returned, cash returned, minus the $55 fee?

Thanks for any replies
Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tattikat2
If your Avios booking is part Avios, part cash, can it still be cancelled in the same way an all Avios booking can be cancelled?

ie, Avios returned, cash returned, minus the $55 fee?
There are two versions of this ticket and a big difference in terms of outcome.

If this was actually a revenue / commercial ticket where you deployed Avios to reduce the cost, then the answer is no. It's still a commercial ticket and the relevant rules apply according to your fare.

If this booked as a redemption ticket but you chose to deploy more cash to keep the Avios down then it's still a redemption and it's the $55 change fee as you indicate.

So it depends exactly how you booked the ticket.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:30 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by BarelyBAGold
I recall that previously it cost me £35 to cancel an avios flight booked to fly on BA but then for some time I was charged only £1 cancellation fee. Today I called (couldn't cancel online) and was again charged £35 to cancel a flight I had for Monday. I'm confused and would be grateful for your advice. Thanks in advance.
It’s £35 officially. Some short haul flights have been cancelling online for £1, but it is a glitch with the tool rather than a change in policy.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Originally Posted by lcylocal
It’s £35 officially. Some short haul flights have been cancelling online for £1, but it is a glitch with the tool rather than a change in policy.
Thanks a lot for the clarification 👍
Old Jul 30, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are two versions of this ticket and a big difference in terms of outcome.

If this was actually a revenue / commercial ticket where you deployed Avios to reduce the cost, then the answer is no. It's still a commercial ticket and the relevant rules apply according to your fare.

If this booked as a redemption ticket but you chose to deploy more cash to keep the Avios down then it's still a redemption and it's the $55 change fee as you indicate.

So it depends exactly how you booked the ticket.
Thank you corporate-wage-slave for your clear reply for either situation.

Much appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.