Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA delay caused missed AA connection - Options? Compensation?

Old Aug 2, 22, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Live posting....

My mom and brother are booked on a AA reservation from LHR to PHL (BA 67) and then PHL to SFO (AA 756), flying business class. Flight from LHR was scheduled to land at 4:35pm, with the PHL to SFO flight departing at 6:38pm same day (today). BA67 arrived about an hour late, leaving about an hour to make the connection. I was tracking their flight so I knew the connection would be tight. My bro texted me saying tons of people at immigration and they may miss their flight.

So, I called AA, explained the situation and the agent was very helpful in looking to rebook them next day. Two first class seats were unavailable direct, or through LAX, DFW, etc, tonight or tomorrow. Agent was very helpful. Accommodations would be provided. As the agent looks into the system more, she discovers that BA, on their own, exchanged my bro and mom's tickets and put them on a Delta flight tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, my bro and elderly mom are racing to the gate to catch the AA flight. Phone agent is unsure if the original AA ticket is valid or not. I'm waiting to hear back from my brother.

Phone agent provided me the Delta ticket number. I do see their flight on Delta tomorrow morning. Phone agent isn't sure who is responsible for the overnight accommodation since BA was late and exchanged their ticket on their own.

Update: they missed the AA flight.

Is AA or BA responsible for the accommodations?
Any other compensation warranted?

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 3, 22 at 2:06 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Aug 2, 22, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Phone agent provided me the Delta ticket number. I do see their flight on Delta tomorrow morning. Phone agent isn't sure who is responsible for the overnight accommodation since BA was late and exchanged their ticket on their own.
The late-delivering carrier is typically responsible for re-accommodating the affected passengers. Under the UK equivalent of EC 261/2004, BA has a "duty of care" requirement, that includes providing lodging and meals where necessary. In addition, depending on the reason for the flight delay, the passengers might be entitled to substantial delay compensation.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, AA EXP, DL PM
what card used to book the flight? You (they) don't want to deal with the airline hotel voucher situation if you can help it; credit card trip delay insurance is much easier if available to you.
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
The late-delivering carrier is typically responsible for re-accommodating the affected passengers. Under the UK equivalent of EC 261/2004, BA has a "duty of care" requirement, that includes providing lodging and meals where necessary. In addition, depending on the reason for the flight delay, the passengers might be entitled to substantial delay compensation.
Thanks. So my bro and mom are exhausted and clearly disappointed, sitting at the closed gate (terminal C). If BA is responsible, wouldn't they need to go to the BA customer service for the voucher? And having never been to PHL, do you know if that's close to terminal C?

Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer View Post
what card used to book the flight? You (they) don't want to deal with the airline hotel voucher situation if you can help it; credit card trip delay insurance is much easier if available to you.
It was an award flight; taxes paid on the AA card.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 3, 22 at 2:06 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. So my bro and mom are exhausted and clearly disappointed, sitting at the closed gate (terminal C). If BA is responsible, wouldn't they need to go to the BA customer service for the voucher? And having never been to PHL, do you know if that's close to terminal C?
BA uses Terminal A at PHL.

If they are still airside, suggest that they walk over to a BA gate in A and speak with a gate agent, if one is available. Otherwise, go landside to the BA ticket counter. Make sure that they use the phrase "duty of care" when requesting lodging and meals.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If they can’t easily find a BA agent, then they are allowed to get a hotel room and have it and food reimbursed by BA after the fact. Keep receipts if they do this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer View Post
credit card trip delay insurance is much easier if available to you.
and unfortunately a dying benefit these days on credit cards.
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No way DL is responsible for the overnight accommodation. BA just rebooked them onto DL, and DL isn't responsible for shelling out extra $$ because of BA's issue.

BA is definitely responsible for covering their accommodation. And EC261 is, I believe, "retained EU law" post-Brexit, so each of them would be entitled to 520GBP compensation. That is cash, not vouchers or flight credits.
(This applies if it is BA's fault which, if the are providing accommodations, it seems it might be. The flight information has delay code ZO, which is a bit generic, but it could include things that are within the airline's control.). I'd just file for the compensation.
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EC/UK 261 duty of care is always provided on flights from the UK and EU, even when compensation isn’t required.
mrow and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DMPHL View Post
No way DL is responsible for the overnight accommodation. BA just rebooked them onto DL, and DL isn't responsible for shelling out extra $$ because of BA's issue.

BA is definitely responsible for covering their accommodation. And EC261 is, I believe, "retained EU law" post-Brexit, so each of them would be entitled to 520GBP compensation. That is cash, not vouchers or flight credits.
(This applies if it is BA's fault which, if the are providing accommodations, it seems it might be. The flight information has delay code ZO, which is a bit generic, but it could include things that are within the airline's control.). I'd just file for the compensation.
"Duty of care" applies even if BA was not responsible for the delay, so you cannot infer from the fact that BA will cover overnight accommodations that the delay was BA's fault. But I agree that if the reason for the delay is not readily discernible, then the passengers should file a claim for delay compensation with BA.

Edited to add: wrp96 beat me to the punch.
mrow, DMPHL, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
If they cant easily find a BA agent, then they are allowed to get a hotel room and have it and food reimbursed by BA after the fact. Keep receipts if they do this.
They are too tired to walk/find a BA agent. My mom is 80 yrs old. How did they submit receipts to BA?
Old Aug 2, 22, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are too tired to walk/find a BA agent. My mom is 80 yrs old. How did they submit receipts to BA?

This great thread from the BA board The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004 should outline what to do

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
"Duty of care" applies even if BA was not responsible for the delay, so you cannot infer from the fact that BA will cover overnight accommodations that the delay was BA's fault. But I agree that if the reason for the delay is not readily discernible, then the passengers should file a claim for delay compensation with BA.

Edited to add: wrp96 beat me to the punch.
Yours was a better reasoned and worded answer IMO
Troopers likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 3, 22 at 2:07 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Aug 2, 22, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, AA EXP, DL PM
It was an award flight; taxes paid on the AA card.
Unfortunately, I don't believe any AA card provides trip delay insurance (insert snarky comment about AA operational reliability here). The Barclays-issued cards do provide some insurance perks, but as I understand it, none would apply here. https://wallethub.com/answers/cc/ame...ce-2140720115/

Based on this information, I'll defer to other posters on carrier payment/reimbursement issues, since I try to avoid the issue at all costs and am not familiar with the nuances.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 7:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Does ticket# for the DL flight begin with 125 or 006 (or sometime entirely different)?
Old Aug 2, 22, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

I tried to get AA to rebook them on a direct flight but AA said they cant help since BA exchanged their tickets (and rebooked them on a Delta 5:30am flight w/a stop in ATL). I was told that my bro and mom need to work with BA for alternative flights.

Question: shouldnt AA be able to rebook them since this was a AA ticket?

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Does ticket# for the DL flight begin with 125 or 006 (or sometime entirely different)?
Starts with 125. Why?

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 3, 22 at 2:07 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability

Search this Thread