Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA delay caused missed AA connection - Options? Compensation?

BA delay caused missed AA connection - Options? Compensation?

Old Aug 2, 22, 10:21 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 27
At this point I would accept the 1 stop flight is good enough and stop spending your time trying to optimize this. It is unlikely you will succeed getting either airline (AA, BA, or DL) to put you on a different carrier at this point. If there is a direct DL flight with availability, they could try talking with Delta at the airport but that is not guaranteed to work.

I had a similar scenario happen to me. Bought a ticket on airline 1 (UA); operated by airline 2 (LH); IRROPS caused the flight to be rebooked on airline 3 (AF). I wanted a better routing but there was nothing UA and LH could do despite many hours on the phone and even conference calling the two airlines together. The ticket was paid J with 'elite' status on *A and ST.
becks1 likes this.
imackie is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:24 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 168
Marriott is the closest easiest on site airport. For you or anyone else in a similar position in the future at PHL. Can walk from the terminal, no bus needed. Also Minute suites is available post security in PHL but not really ideal for 2 people. Better for 1 person alone, its not really a hotel room, its a sleeping room but offers overnight rates and is very easy if an early morning flight and they are already post security.
golfmad and Troopers like this.
lunchtime is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:48 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Posts: 12,547
Fwiw, the DL flight is likely going to earn them miles. Have them put in their DL skymiles numbers.
Troopers likes this.
zrs70 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:56 pm
  #19  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,409
Originally Posted by imackie View Post
At this point I would accept the 1 stop flight is good enough and stop spending your time trying to optimize this. It is unlikely you will succeed getting either airline (AA, BA, or DL) to put you on a different carrier at this point. If there is a direct DL flight with availability, they could try talking with Delta at the airport but that is not guaranteed to work.

I had a similar scenario happen to me. Bought a ticket on airline 1 (UA); operated by airline 2 (LH); IRROPS caused the flight to be rebooked on airline 3 (AF). I wanted a better routing but there was nothing UA and LH could do despite many hours on the phone and even conference calling the two airlines together. The ticket was paid J with 'elite' status on *A and ST.
Thanks...I agree but mom and brother want a direct flight and not risk another missed connection in ATL (approx 1 hr connection time).
Troopers is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:58 pm
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,902
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
I tried to get AA to rebook them on a direct flight but AA said they can’t help since BA exchanged their tickets (and rebooked them on a Delta 5:30am flight w/a stop in ATL). I was told that my bro and mom need to work with BA for alternative flights.

Question: shouldn’t AA be able to rebook them since this was a AA ticket?
Not anymore. By convention, since BA caused the delay and was responsible for rebooking, BA took over the ticket and reissued it on 125 stock. It's no longer 001 stock and AA was not the carrier that caused the disruption so it's not AA's to touch. The AA agent is right in that you need to talk to BA for subsequent changes now.

AA's morning non-stop is completely sold out, and the evening one only has one seat open in J. So it's not altogether surprising that BA looked for alternatives... though somewhat odd they ended up putting them on Delta when there are connecting flights through DFW and PHX that have 2 seats available, as normally rebooking within alliance is preferable.
wrp96 and Troopers like this.

Last edited by javabytes; Aug 2, 22 at 11:04 pm
javabytes is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:58 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 25,046
Originally Posted by imackie View Post
If there is a direct DL flight with availability, they could try talking with Delta at the airport but that is not guaranteed to work.
DL does not fly PHL-LAX nonstop. Not sure if DL offers any "direct" flights on that route.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 22, 11:13 pm
  #22  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,409
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Not anymore. By convention, since BA caused the delay and was responsible for rebooking, BA took over the ticket and reissued it on 125 stock. It's no longer 001 stock and AA was not the carrier that caused the disruption so it's not AA's to touch. The AA agent is right in that you need to talk to BA for subsequent changes now.

AA's morning non-stop is completely sold out, and the evening one only has one seat open in J. So it's not altogether surprising that BA looked for alternatives... though somewhat odd they ended up putting them on Delta when there are connecting flights through DFW and PHX that have 2 seats available, as normally rebooking within alliance is preferable.
Thanks.

That was exactly the AA's phone agent thought too since agent was unable to find 2 seats in J direct or with a connection.

Also interesting was that the phone agent said the original AA tickets would likely be valid for boarding (if they had made it to the gate on time) although the tickets were exchanged. They had boarded passes in hand. They were seated in 1A and 1C but then at some point unassigned seats (likely when BA exchanged the tickets).

Last edited by Troopers; Aug 2, 22 at 11:18 pm
Troopers is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 2:15 am
  #23  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, England
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Posts: 9,428
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Is AA or BA responsible for the accommodations?
Any other compensation warranted?
As the delay was on a BA flight, and BA have now taken over the ticket to reaccommodate the affected passengers, the options available to the passengers and any compensation that may be due are now much more reliant on BA's policies and the rules under which they operate on flights out of the UK. As a result, I will shift this thread to the BAEC forum for input from the experts there, and I've also retitled the thread to more accurately reflect its current status and contents.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Microwave is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 2:40 am
  #24  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,980
I think the only two comments I have about this above thread is that if you are stranded overnight off a BA flight, don't try too hard to find someone from BA, just book a hotel, doing your best to avoid extortionate rates, and send the bill in. We see almost no reports of that being denied, and none at all in the circumstances as reported above. So that's a level of comfort and consumer protection that travellers have on BA and other European airlines. Secondly if you are travelling BA, even on an AA ticket, there is some benefit in having the BA app, as a guest user. Almost certainly the Delta rebook would have been made mid flight and would have been visible on landing at PHL. Minimum Connection Time at PHL international to domestic is 90 minutes, so as soon as the robots knew you were well below that then they would have been searching out options. I make the actual landing time 17:20 versus a schedule arrival of 16:35. I would have hoped that was still a viable connection, but probably only to those on Global Entry.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 3:22 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: London
Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 2,363
Just for your records - BA are putting the delay down to Operational issues - the below may help if trying to claim EC261

Scheduled: 08/02/22 1:40 PM
Estimated: 08/02/22 2:20 PM
Actual: 08/02/22 2:20 PM
Scheduled: 08/02/22 4:35 PM
Estimated: 08/02/22 5:20 PM
Actual: 08/02/22 5:20 PM

LHR Term: 5
Gate: B46
PHL Term: A
Gate: 15Comments:
DOBA67/02AUG
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 67 -1 TU 02AUG22
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

LHR ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1410
DELAY ZO
LEFT THE GATE 1420
TOOK OFF 1446
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1717 PHL
PHL AIRCRAFT LANDED 1716
ARRIVED 1720

Pilot37
Pilot37 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 7:42 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Posts: 6,685
Forget Easy Connections

As the International Airline/Airport Operations situation continues on a Global Basis if you want to aviod : Stress, Delayed Baggage,Missed Connections, Absent Crew...GO THE DAY BEFORE.

A $150 a Night Airport Hotel is well worth not having to handle what is now becomming commonplace .

I've been doing this for Many Years especially when flying on International Business or First Class Award Tickets. Mainly on any Asian Airline from USA or Even Via Canada.

Your Cardiac Doctor will Thank You
UncleDude is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 8:30 am
  #27  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,409
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I think the only two comments I have about this above thread is that if you are stranded overnight off a BA flight, don't try too hard to find someone from BA, just book a hotel, doing your best to avoid extortionate rates, and send the bill in. We see almost no reports of that being denied, and none at all in the circumstances as reported above. So that's a level of comfort and consumer protection that travellers have on BA and other European airlines. Secondly if you are travelling BA, even on an AA ticket, there is some benefit in having the BA app, as a guest user. Almost certainly the Delta rebook would have been made mid flight and would have been visible on landing at PHL. Minimum Connection Time at PHL international to domestic is 90 minutes, so as soon as the robots knew you were well below that then they would have been searching out options. I make the actual landing time 17:20 versus a schedule arrival of 16:35. I would have hoped that was still a viable connection, but probably only to those on Global Entry.
Thanks

Just curious...would the original AA ticket been valid had they made the connection? Should I have told my brother and mom to NOT run through the terminal (just to find out their tickets were invalid)?
Troopers is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 8:48 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: JAX
Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 3,273
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Does ticket# for the DL flight begin with 125 or 006 (or sometime entirely different)?
BA can't issue 006 tkts, only 125. They would have exchanged the AA/001 coupon to BA/125.

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Not anymore. By convention, since BA caused the delay and was responsible for rebooking, BA took over the ticket and reissued it on 125 stock. It's no longer 001 stock and AA was not the carrier that caused the disruption so it's not AA's to touch. The AA agent is right in that you need to talk to BA for subsequent changes now.


AA could still take BA's exchanged ticket back if they had space to rebook them (1) because it was AA's award ticket originally and (2) the oneworld ticketing agreement allows OW carriers to exchange each others tkts when needed. AA have full access to BA's new tkt and can do what they want with it.

Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Just curious...would the original AA ticket been valid had they made the connection? Should I have told my brother and mom to NOT run through the terminal (just to find out their tickets were invalid)?


Not without some work by the gate agent, as the coupons associated with that flight would already have been lifted when the tkt was exchanged by BA to the DL flight. The gate agent would have had to work out what the tickets had been exchanged to, exchange them back, issue new boarding passes, etc...
roberto99, SW7London and golfmad like this.
JAXBA is online now  
Old Aug 3, 22, 8:58 am
  #29  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,980
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Thanks

Just curious...would the original AA ticket been valid had they made the connection? Should I have told my brother and mom to NOT run through the terminal (just to find out their tickets were invalid)?
The only comment to add really is that BA tends to get these swaps accurate. So the robots appear to have decided the connection was impossible, and they were right, the generally don't get it wrong. Which on the face of it seems odd, since anyone who was a fast walker, HBO (since luggage has to be rechecked), Global Entry and then Pre-Check should have made the connection. There is only about 30 minutes there, given the layout of PHL and the requirement to be at the gate 30 minutes (or more) before departure time. I'm wondering if the robots factored in checked luggage, that would have made it impossible I suspect. But yes, having been taken off to Delta, it is reversible, but not really in the relatively short timeframe that was available here. BA did you a favour here, even if a bit more information would have made this a better experience.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 9:09 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: STL
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 328
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
They are too tired to walk/find a BA agent. My mom is 80 yrs old. How did they submit receipts to BA?
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...s/compensation
Troopers likes this.
Furby is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread